The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-6 issues

zombii

I just received my NEX-6 Monday. I bought it with the kit lens. I already have a NEX-5N so I know my way around most of the menu system. The only AF lens I used with the NEX-5N is the Zeiss 24/1.8. So far with the NEX-6, I've seen one issue unique to the NEX-6 and one common to both with the auto focus settings and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen these issues.

1. For the Autofocus area selection, I prefer the Flexible Spot setting. This selection worked fine on the 5N. On the 6, in use, this spot only shows up when the light levels are relatively high. When they're not AF brings up a large area that encompasses most of the center of the frame. This occurs with either AF lens.

2. For Autofocus Mode, I normally use AF-S Single Shot AF. However, this mode seems to behave pretty much like AF-C where the camera focuses continuously. This seems to also occur on the 5N. Am I missing something here?

What I'm hoping to find out for #1 is whether this particular body has a problem or is it a firmware problem? I'll probably call Sony tomorrow if I don't get any answers on here but I hope somebody can shed some light.

peterv

#1 is normal NEX behavior. If possible, try to focus on the most contrasty part of the subject.
#2 is probably pre-focussing, which is also normal.

peterv

FWIW I've had #1 occur under similar circumstances on the 5, 5n and 7. The camara just doesn't seem to have enough light to do CDAF on the small Flexible Spot and converts to Wide AF.

mazor

oh zombil, did you get the collapsible zoom 18-50 with your nex 6? If so do tell of its quality and performance etc

V

Vivek

1. For the Autofocus area selection, I prefer the Flexible Spot setting. This selection worked fine on the 5N. On the 6, in use, this spot only shows up when the light levels are relatively high. When they're not AF brings up a large area that encompasses most of the center of the frame. This occurs with either AF lens.
There is a simple solution for this (posted in this forum by a few, not my finding but I use it all the time).

Turn OFF the silly AF assist light!

zombii

Thanks Vivek, that fixed it! That's pretty counter intuitive though. Some questionable thinking on that design decision!

Mazor, I haven't shot but a few test shots with the 18-50 so far so this is a very preliminary opinion but I'd say for the price, it's a good lens. Center sharpness is good at both ends. There appears to be softening in the corners but I haven't done a controlled test of that so it may be not be that much. Contrast is moderate. Sharpness at infinity is questionable but I'm not sure that isn't an autofocus issue. I've only shot it with AF, wide open. The AF performance with the NEX cameras is not that good anyway from what I've seen with the 5N, 7, and now the 6. I didn't really buy them for that though. I liked them as a complement to the M9 since they will do what the M9 doesn't do or do well: high ISO, close focus, zoom, and longer lenses. The ability to use M lenses (and Canon, Zeiss, Mamiya, etc.) is the real attraction. However, after I got it, I realized having a fast, AF wide lens (Zeiss 24/1.8) and now an inexpensive mid focal length range, AF zoom filled gaps. The IS works well with the 18-50 from what I've seen too. Construction of the lens is not robust but what do you expect for $150? For my purposes on this camera, it's enough assuming I don't find any big gotchas. It's not as fast as I'd like but the IS makes up for a lot of that. Would I pay more for it? Maybe as high as $250 but not more simply because I have doubts about it lasting for a long time. I'm going to shoot a party with the NEX-6 this Saturday and I'm going to use the 18-50 some so I'll have a better idea then and I'll provide an update.