The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I need some good lens advice - APS-C to FF Upgrade

Matix

Hi folks, I need some advice. I am picking up an A99 in a couple of weeks, and need lens advice, that is... I have two APS-C lenses for my A77 that I use a lot, and I would like similar focal lengths for the Full Frame A99.

These two lenses I have used with Pentax and Nikon in the past and now with the A77, either one is on my camera most of the time. The Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro is just fine, as is the Tamron 70-300mm USD which I use rarely

What would be your best recommendation for the following two.

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6
Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

And the Tamron 18-270mm whick I only use when my bag limit is tight with travel restrictions. What is a good travel lens for a FF camera.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Phil

Last edited:

pegelli

I don't have an A99, but an A850.

My WA zoom is a KM 17-35/2.8-4D. Extreme corners are a bit soft, but for the rest it works great. I also picked up an old Minolta 20/2.8 prime which is also a lot of fun using.

Alternative for your 17-50 is the Tamron 28-75/2.8, similar IQ and build quality. I don't have one, and use an old Minolta 28-70/2.8 G, probably better IQ wide open, but a lot heavier and slower AF.

There's nothing FF equivalent to a 17-270 superzoom, my "jack of all trades/walkaround" on the A850 is a Tamron 28-200 XR/IF, or also a Minolta 24-105D.

Hope this helps

The 24-70 2.8 is my go to lens for just about every situation. Total workhorse lens. Only drawback is the weight. I don't have anything wider than 24 so cannot comment there.

Matix

I don't have an A99, but an A850.

My WA zoom is a KM 17-35/2.8-4D. Extreme corners are a bit soft, but for the rest it works great. I also picked up an old Minolta 20/2.8 prime which is also a lot of fun using.

Alternative for your 17-50 is the Tamron 28-75/2.8, similar IQ and build quality. I don't have one, and use an old Minolta 28-70/2.8 G, probably better IQ wide open, but a lot heavier and slower AF.

There's nothing FF equivalent to a 17-270 superzoom, my "jack of all trades/walkaround" on the A850 is a Tamron 28-200 XR/IF, or also a Minolta 24-105D.

Hope this helps
Helps a lot, thanks... always good to know what people use, specs can tell you only so much.

Phil

iiiNelson

I have a Sony G APO 70-200/2.8 that I use on the A77. Great lens but certainly large as all dSLR lenses of speed and quality tend to be. Nevertheless if you can deal with the size and want the speed you can't go wrong with this one. If you want something smaller the 70-300 (or 70-400 if you need distance) has good results at the expense of some speed.

Matix

I have a Sony G APO 70-200/2.8 that I use on the A77. Great lens but certainly large as all dSLR lenses of speed and quality tend to be. Nevertheless if you can deal with the size and want the speed you can't go wrong with this one. If you want something smaller the 70-300 (or 70-400 if you need distance) has good results at the expense of some speed.
Thanks for the recommendations... the 70-400 G is looking like the top of the heap for long lens.. I had a 70-200mm 2.8 in my Nikon days... it never got much use, but the 80-400 VR sure did.

Phil

iiiNelson

Cool well that solves that problem and I think the 70-200 and 70-400 are of similar size. Pair it with a Zeiss 24-70 and you have most of your needs (except speed in a portrait lens and normal lens) covered.