The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

kuujinbo

These are very cool images. Nice style you have.
Thank you for the kind words. :)

BTW I'm originally from Hawaii, but we left a little over 10 years ago and have been bouncing around from place to place until this year when we moved to WA. The only place I didn't recognize in all of your shots in the thread so far are the ones of the Cadillac. My guess is somewhere in the Kakaʻako area? It will be loud and smoky over there tonight, people in Hawaii love New Year's. ;)

Here is the issue with my Rx1.
First symptom occurred about a week ago.
While shooting I noticed the battery power was low and replaced the battery with a fresh one.
When I turned the camera on the lcd screen turned black with a message.
"Unable to read memory card. Reinsert memory card."
I did so and the same black screen and message appeared.
I did a number of things like change the battery, remove and reinsert the card a couple of times and turn the camera off and on.
Eventually the message disappeared and everything worked fine.
Over the next few days, no problems.
Then I briefly saw the same message a couple of days ago.
However, yesterday, while shooting I received an error message immediately after I had taken a photo.
Black screen with message like: Error or damaged file would you like to repair?
Not sure if I selected yes or cancel but eventually the screen turned black with the message: Accessing.
I left the camera in this mode for about a half hour and no change.
I was unable to use the camera the rest of the evening.
I thought at least one if not all my images had been corrupted, but fortunately the files were readable on my computer.
This morning I put the same card and battery in the Rx100 and was able to access images and take additional photos.
I then put the same card and battery in the Rx1 and received the same message.
"Unable to read memory card. Reinsert memory card."
By the way, the memory card had been formatted in the Rx1 before I began shooting and I am using a Sony battery.
So now I'm thinking there is a problem with my Rx1.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

pophoto

John, center focus is definitely more accurate and very slightly more than flexible spot, although I certainly hoped there was a way to make the size the same. I have face recognition on, and certainly have registered family members of different age range already, I find it helps a lot better than it being off!

Thank you for the kind words. :)

BTW I'm originally from Hawaii, but we left a little over 10 years ago and have been bouncing around from place to place until this year when we moved to WA. The only place I didn't recognize in all of your shots in the thread so far are the ones of the Cadillac. My guess is somewhere in the Kakaʻako area?
Not a bad guess. Actually, the pink cadillac was in a parking lot on Waialae Avenue in Kaimuki. It was Christmas morning so not many cars in the lot and the owner had obviously parked away from all the other cars.

Ten years, that's a long time. A few changes here and there but glad you recognize old stomping grounds. Aloha.

Could it be the card? Brand, type, or size? I will get a quick message when just inserting the card as I turn on the camera, but it quickly fixes itself. I am using a SanDisk 16GB Extreme SDHC.

Sandisk 64gb Exteme Pro SDXC card. Been using the card with my Fuji cameras, Rx100 and D800 and never experienced any problems.

Last night, after I downloaded the Rx1 images to my computer I put the card in my Rx100 and it behaves normally. There is no error message and I can access and view images taken with the Rx1 from last night. But when I put the card back in the Rx1 I get the same error message - "Unable to read memory card. Reinsert memory card."

So perhaps the Rx1 is a bit more sensitive to the condition of the card or there is a problem with the card reading ability of my Rx1.

pophoto

Joe I had a couple of these quirks, when I first started up the RX1, but not as far as your error messages. I had a couple of the display about the battery and memory card, but went away very soon and hasn't shown itself again, so I soon forgot about it! I did initially have it on the AF setting, how it was delivered, it's worth tracking how you are getting this message too.

I use the same card as you, but now I've also added a couple of third party batteries which work great, especially together with a $12 wall charger!

I would say if your problem persists, it will be worth getting in touch with Sony. With Canon and Nikon, I've always had good responses and care from their service centers and it might be something they should be aware of too! Another thing to try is just use a different card for now to factor it out!

Btw, Happy New Year!
Po

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Joe - my suggestion is to use another card for a while to see if the issue persists. That way you can easily narrow the problem to being either the card or the camera.

I'm using SDXC cards with my RX1 with no issues, including a Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro like you, but there may be something with your particular card. Could be dirt/smudge on the electrical contacts that happens to line up and interfere specifically with the contacts in your RX1, or it could be a corrupt area in the memory on the card that is getting triggered/used by your RX1 but not your RX100.

You'll never know for sure unless you use another card for a few days to see if the problem shows up again.

Please keep us posted - I'm hoping that it's just the card, as it's an easy/cheap fix.

shtarka1

Joe, sounds like a card issue specific to the RX1. I'm using a Sandisk 16gb Extreme & so far so good. Best of luck!

Shashin

I hate to give away locations--there ends up an endless stream of tourist doing untold damage--but this is right next to the Hanaford Supermarket in Damariscotta, ME. Three frame stitch.

Shashin

Street photography, Maine style. Damariscotta, ME. Just set to P and auto just about everything. It is amazing how you can tame the shadows and highlights.

barjohn

Shashin,

An I think it is cold here when it is below 50. Makes me shiver.

Joe, I have seen the message "No memory card" on a few occasions after I reinsert my memory card after taking images from it on my computer. My card is a San Disk 8GB Extreme Pro 95mb/s card. I never saw this message on any other camera but I just ignore it and it usually does recognize the card a few seconds later. I attributed it to either a software glitch or the card becoming more flakey. I haven't tried any of my other cards. I would say try other cards first and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't try the card in another camera that would place the same high demands on it, 24mp or more and see if it is a timing issue. In all probability it is a software issue related to a timing protocol being sensitive on the camera and not properly handling the issue when an error occurs. I would definitely report it to Sony CS.

Shashin

Shashin,

An I think it is cold here when it is below 50. Makes me shiver.
Well, it was below 50 here today. It was around 25 when I got to Pemaquid point. And 21 when I drove through Damariscotta. Made me shiver too. ;)

ashwinrao1

These SD card issues make the RX1 even more Leica-like ;)

Seriously though, sorry to hear that some cards seem a bit twitchy. Seems like something worthy of contacting Sony about...

Shashin

John, just for you. An image of Maine's (seasonal) white "sandy" beaches. I mean, what kind of protection is sun block compared with 2" of fleece, wool, and flannel. And with a little water spray, our "sand" castles can last a lot longer. And the other upside is it is not very buggy.

Pemaquid Point from last night.