The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

Nothing really special here - just a couple of shots at iso 25,600, f/2.
The B&W at 1/200, the color at 1/160.
Tweaked with very minimal noise reduction in lightroom.

pophoto

I see you're going all the way with the ISO, how are finding the AF lock, is it hunting much for you? I had a hell of an afternoon with the camera hunting indoors in moderate light!

I dunno about the rest you, I've kinda pondered over the tracking feature, and found it quite good, but still need to play with it some more. It seems to track really really well, I just wish it could continuous focus as well, oh well you cannot everything!

I see you're going all the way with the ISO, how are finding the AF lock, is it hunting much for you? I had a hell of an afternoon with the camera hunting indoors in moderate light!

I dunno about the rest you, I've kinda pondered over the tracking feature, and found it quite good, but still need to play with it some more. It seems to track really really well, I just wish it could continuous focus as well, oh well you cannot everything!
Autofocus is still hit or miss for me - mostly hit, but the misses often leave me perplexed and a bit frustrated. Of course I'm spoiled because of my Nikon D3s and D800. Because I shoot a variety of subject matter I alternate between multi, center and flex focus to see what works best. With multi focus it is nice to see the camera lock on the face and presumably the eyes. I'm not confident with tracking and I realize continuous focus would probably have never worked well on this camera. Overall, AF is good enough for slow or non-moving subjects, but I revert to zone focusing for street or action photography.

My Holy Grail is a pocket size, full frame camera with a fast lens that can handle continuous focusing even in low light. But as you correctly state - we cannot have everything!

I had a request to post some shallow DOF examples with the Rx1, so here are a few.
A couple have been posted previously.
All at f/2.
By the way, the first two at iso 5000.
The bowl of colorful sticks at iso 10,000.

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Joe, this is becoming a major showcase for the RX-1 - thanks in no small part to your skill and enthusiasm.

I'm not buying the camera (maybe a future fast focusing version), but I'm sold on your talent.

Thanks for sharing

Brian

Joe, this is becoming a major showcase for the RX-1 - thanks in no small part to your skill and enthusiasm.

I'm not buying the camera (maybe a future fast focusing version), but I'm sold on your talent.

Thanks for sharing

Brian
Way too kind Brian. I can only imagine the wonderful images if the Rx1 was in your talented hands. And yes, if this could focus faster and a bit more accurately ...

Very kind of you John. I am fortunate to shoot a variety of subject matter and blessed with good weather. Really makes all the difference in the world. Plus I really like this camera. Thanks again.

CharlesK

I have been really enjoying all the shots in this thread, and I amazed with the IQ of the RX1. Congrats to all here with the great shots here:) Some amazing stuff!!

Shots from this afternoon at Elephant rock at Currumbin beach. Finally some shots at 100 ISO and not 6400 ISO :D

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Three from today: the RX-1 seems not to mind being carried for two hours in light to moderate snow!