The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

m_driscoll

A few more. An easy camera to carry around and shoot. Lovely rendering, IMHO. :)

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/125s @ f/2; ISO 200

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/125s @ f/2; ISO 200

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 250

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/160s @ f/2; ISO 200

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/2; ISO 800

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/8; ISO 5000

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/8; ISO 3200

RX-1; 35mm f/2; 1/80s @ f/8; ISO 250

Cheers, Matt

peterv

John and Matt, just a quick thank you for posting these shots. I must say these images look even better than I had anticipated.

shtarka1

John and Matt, just a quick thank you for posting these shots. I must say these images look even better than I had anticipated.
Totally Agree! Can't Wait For Mine To Get Here From B&H, Unless You Have An Inside Tip For Me Matty On Where To Score One Faster!:) Nice To See You MD!

retow

I handled one at the local camera store yesterday and was surprised how small it is and how fast it focuses. It's not OMD fast, but beats a NEX7 and Fuji XE1 by quite a margin. AF, overall responsiveness and write time seemed quite speedy. Luckily for my credit card, the only one the store had was not for sale. Above pics from John and Matt look promising, I particularly like how smooth the lens renders the transition from in focus to oof areas. This starts to look like a winner. I'm thinking of selling some other gear to get one.

barjohn

One thing I forgot to mention is the shots taken on my roof deck are just RAW converted to TIF in Sony's converter and imported into LR and exported as 1200 pixel wide JPGs. No PP at all and NR and sharpening all set to zero. I found that when I played with them in LR late yesterday that they could be improved over what I posted with a little PP but I was in a hurry to get those posted so you all could see how well the camera does.

This is the first camera of many that I have owned that I actually find the Auto ISO useful. You just pick it up and shoot and unless it is something you really want optimal you will get a very high quality image just doing that. I played with zone focusing last night and due to the shallow DOF, it seemed like I needed f11 to get sharp images close to me after setting the focus to a specific distance. It is too bad that Sony did not include DOF markers on the distance scale in MF. At least it remembers the focus distance and there is zero lag when shooting. I'll need to compute a DOF scale and stick it in a note on my iPhone for reference.

The EVF is not only excellent but substantially smaller than the Leica or Olympus EVF. Here are some quick comparison shots taken with my iphone.

pophoto

Shashin, good stuff coming through this thread, how does it feel now you finally have it in hand, pros and cons?

Shashin

Boy, this camera is quiet. I am really pleased, but, with a lot of cameras, I need to go though a breaking in period to come to terms with it. My first impression is very good. The ergonomics and design are very nice including the button layout and menus. I like how you can customize the camera, for example, you can put AF on the C button next to the shutter button to activate the AF in the manual focus mode. I was a little worried I might not be able to hold it well, but it feels fine to me--I am tall and have big hands. The shutter button is a bit of a surprise. It feels soft. Combined with the really quiet shutter--I have mentioned this is a quiet camera--it feels like it will really be great to shoot at slow shutter speeds handheld. I am really waiting for ACR support to comment on the images, but the JPEGs I posted are straight out of the camera.

I have a really good feeling about this camera.

barjohn

It has been growing on me steadily. I was worried when I sold my X100 and EM-5 to buy this camera whether it would turn out to be as good as my anticipation based on the images I saw posted by Steve Huff, especially after trying the DP2M and being very impressed with the IQ. So far this camera has not let me down.

I like to think of myself as a thinker that is deliberative about my shots but when I am in the thick of things I am so focused on the framing and catching the moment that I forget to check the basics like exposure, etc. and this camera just comes through with great images. Shutter speed is quick enough to handle motion blur and and it adjusts ISO up for exposure (with auto ISO) and out comes this fantastic picture that was just as you envisioned it and you go wow! So many times in the past I go back and look and I go crap, why wasn't I paying attention to this setting or the other, no wonder I have so few keepers but so far with this camera that hasn't been the case.

The really great fun is that I know I am just getting started and it will get better as I learn more about how it works. The X100 took a great deal of effort before it was producing what I wanted when I wanted and there were things like the creamy bokeh that this camera produces that it just couldn't do or the really clean ISO. The upper realistic limit was 1600 for me and 3200 in a pinch but this camera makes 6400 look like the X100 at somewhere between 1600 and 3200. That is saying a lot and the color may even be better than Fuji coor which I really like.

barjohn

Shashin,

I love that picture of the trees and the stars. Living on the coast we get the marine layer moving in in the evening here in Southern California so the stars are lost in the low fog. There are certain times of the year that we get the clear skies when the marine layer stays off shore but this isn't one of them.

For those of you unfamiliar with Southern California, the japanese current runs down our coast from Alaska and the cold water and the warmer air from our land/desert climate creates a fog we call the marine layer. Some times it stays off shore and some times it sits over our coastal areas and even moves inland around 50-75 miles up against the mountain ranges. Sometimes it is low and at ground level and sometimes it is up about 500 feet above sea level. It can be beautiful in the mornings when it sits in the valleys as one motors through the hills and lower mountains.

Some nice images here.
Thanks everyone for posting.
Received my RX1 yesterday and now trying to learn this new setup.
Seems like this is a camera you can just pick up and shoot.
Here are a few photos on the beach and elsewhere.
All jpgs with minor tweaking.

barjohn

Joe,

As usual your images blow me away and piss me off because I want to be where you are! I really like your images and I think you will like this camera.