The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

barjohn

Here is a shot from today in similar weather for the sky. I can't see any cyan shift. (By the way I am using pro photo color not SRGB so you may see something else on different browsers)

Brian Mosley

Well, I had a chance to play with this little gem yesterday, and it's very similar in focusing speed to the E-P2 with the Olympus mZD 17mm f2.8... I've finally decided to give up waiting for the next OM-D and ordered the E-M5 instead :)

Finally, I'm following my own advice... apply some lagging edge wisdom and buy a camera when it's been thoroughly tested by real world users ;)

I do think the RX-2, with high speed focusing and built in evf will be irresistible!

As it is, I couldn't justify the price and couldn't bear to part with my X100.

Kind regards

Brian

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
John - in your photo above, I actually do see very slight color shift - cyan on the left / purple on the right. It's very slight, but detectable in the sky.

I would not have seen it, if not looking specifically for it. I don't think it's cause for concern in 99% of images like this.

barjohn

I just took some shots of my grey walls in my home. The lighting may not be perfectly even but the color shift is definitely present, especially at f2.

barjohn

I tired it both in LR 4 and C1 7 and the results are the same. With and without lens correction didn't make any difference. This appears to be the same thing I have seen on the M9 in the Leica forum. Seems to happen when a wide angle lens that is close to the sensor is used. Usually starts around 35mm and gets worse with wider lenses.

V

Vivek

All this (color shift, AF like the 17/2.8 on EP) are fully within expectation and are not deal breakers.

Shashin

Can you post up the RAW image. I can't see it on my monitor. I do see some purple fringing but that is easily removed in LR.
It is not CA, not fringing. Just look at the cloud color in the branches. There should be no shift as it is about as an evenly illuminated sky as you can have.

Brian Mosley

All this (color shift, AF like the 17/2.8 on EP) are fully within expectation and are not deal breakers.
Did you expect a colour shift Vivek? Do you think it's something that could be processed out with a firmware update?

It's a lovely little camera, and I loved my E-P1 too. .. but it's time to move on I think.

Cheers

Brian

barjohn

In reading about the phenomenon in the Leica forum all kinds of theories are put forth but none that seem to hold up or make sense. One thing that seems to make matters worse is the diffuse lighting I was shooting the wall in or the overcast sky. Some Leica users applied graduated filters in post to minimize the effect. Perhaps Sony could do the same in firmware processing of the image, sort of like handling vignetting.

If this were a $1,000 camera I might be willing to live with it but at $3,500 with EVF I would expect Sony to issue a quick firmware fix or I might return it until I see they are serious about addressing issues. I hope they respond quickly.

V

Vivek

Brian, Yes. I think the $150 lens hood would help a bit as well. More of a worry is that the little gem has to be treated like a gem. With the lens being so complex, rough handling would bring the 7*rating to easily 1 or 2. Misaligned aspherics are very unpleasant.

barjohn

ashwinrao1

Ash, I have a friend that has both the X-E1 and the RX1. While the following are certainly not even close to scientific tests they will give you some idea of how they compare. The X-E1 is very sharp and has very nearly the same amount of detail. It also appears to have pretty good dynamic range.

These are meant to give you a general idea and not a scientific test. My friend shot the pictures and I processed the RAW files in LR.
John, this is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much for posting the comparison!

I am very happy with the XE-1 (as a second camera system to my Leica setup), despite Fuji's lack of great AF for its cameras in action or low light. When the 28 mm pancake is released, it will provide a similar camera size to the RX1, maybe a tad bigger, at the obvious loss of sensor real estate.

This comparison confirms my suspicion that output is quite similar, despite sensor size and megapixel difference. Looks like Sony has some items to work out with the RX-1, with it's periphery color shifts, lens distortion, as well as it's AF in low light. I also tend to enjoy Fuji colors a bit more than Sony colors Methinks I'll be a spectator for the moment, primarily as the output to cost differential doesn't match at the moment....

I was able to get out for a few minutes yesterday to try out my new RX1. The first short outing was a success and I am encouraged that this camera may be a keeper. Over an inch of rain today precluded any further shooting time.

With all of this talk about color shift, I am anxious to test my camera further. I have already noticed CA in a couple photos but nothing unexpected considering the conditions.

B & W because I didn't want to see any color shift - kidding, I just liked it in B & W better

View attachment 66924

Another B & W

View attachment 66928

Now some color

View attachment 66925

View attachment 66926

CA on right side around bare tree limbs

View attachment 66927

barjohn

I have run a few more tests shooting my walls and it seems the lighting is critical as I also shot with the flash.

Shot at F8

Another shot at F8

Shot at f2 with flash

Shot at F2 with flash and some vignetting correction applied in LR

The shading at the top is where my ceiling meets the wall and not a sensor deffect. :)

pophoto

Sorry Mark, the color shifts are too extreme for my liking in the first two :p

Joking aside, beautiful photography!

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Great shots Mark. I like your B&W shots best - are those OOC jpgs, or did you convert to B&W in post?