The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

tashley

Subscriber Member
Testing for this in full detail will require shooting a series of proper LCC frames through an appropriate diffuser, which I don't have with me but will get to next week. We can then see the effect of using CornerFix and other similar methods on the files. I admire the tenacity of Barjohn in doing the above shots and I think they do show that there's an issue but I agree that it isn't a deal breaker - these things are surprisingly prevalent though of course they do tend to be worse with non-retrofocal designs where the rear element of the lens is so close to the sensor, like with Leica.

Agreed Tim. I am very hopeful this doesn't turn out to be a deal breaker for me. More testing is definitely on order. I am not sure when I will have a chance to do my own tests as I will have to make or acquire an appropriate diffuser to test with. It will interesting to see how the results vary among us.

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Agreed Tim. I am very hopeful this doesn't turn out to be a deal breaker for me. More testing is definitely on order. I am not sure when I will have a chance to do my own tests as I will have to make or acquire an appropriate diffuser to test with. It will interesting to see how the results vary among us.
I'll do it, don't worry, though I did find that when I did the same with the RX100 (the same panic surfaced there for a while, now largely forgotten) the LCC files clearly showed a shift but when you fed them to Cornerfix, it didn't do anything at all. I postulated then that the shifts were below the threshold of what Cornerfix considered worth fixing, but I never managed to bottom it out...

CharlesK

This was an issue at first for the M9 with WA's with varying magenta/cyan shift for different cams. With C1 Pro, the LCC corrections could be easily applied during the workflow, after the initial measurements were taken with the WB diffuser. This worked amazingly well, specific to the M9/WA lens combo, and in many cases better than the latest FW update. This is of course in most cases, is no longer needed with the updates to the firmware. I suspect Sony will correct this quickly with a FW update too:)

barjohn

My auto focus issues may be due to the fact that the camera will fire even when focus is not acquired. I turn off all sound so I am counting on the focus box to indicate focus. The problem is in bright sunshine or even a day like today, my eyesight isn't quite good enough to discern that the box is actually green rather than black after just hearing the lens go through its motion and stop. Since it isn't hunting you think it has found focus but it hasn't. It just gave up apparently. Turning on the sound and waiting to hear the focus confirmation it seems to be in focus each time. Is my camera unique in this operation or is that happening with others too?

Shashin

My camera will take an out of focus image. You can double check misfocus with the flashing focus confirmation icon on the left of the SS/aperture display.

jonoslack

Did you expect a colour shift Vivek? Do you think it's something that could be processed out with a firmware update?

It's a lovely little camera, and I loved my E-P1 too. .. but it's time to move on I think.

Cheers

Brian
Hi Brian and Vivek
If I'd given it a moment's thought I would certainly have expected it. I think it's an inevitable result of a wide angle lens with an exit pupil near the sensor.
Extremely difficult to get rid of all examples of it with firmware (because situations vary so much - focal distance, lighting etc.). I'm not sure that firmware solutions are ideal anyway, because they throw in so many extra variables.

I would have thought that this was trivial to fix in cornerfix - that's assuming that you ever find it a problem in real life images anyway.

I'll be interested to see Tim's results - but I agree with Vivek - no kind of a dealbreaker here.

all the best

waardij

The glass gets very close to the sensor. this does however not mean, just like with the sigma dp1 and dp2, that the exit pupil, in optical sense, is close to the sensor. My impression was that these lenses are build this way, close to the sensor, almost covering it, to delivers parallel rays of light to the sensor, to improve the quality. especially the Sigma sensor is, as I understand it, sensitive for this.
and is it not so that the color shift here occurs form one side to the other? In that case nothing to do with the lens, at least not on its own. and flash seems to cure it, once again suggesting it is not just the lens.

ohnri

Frankly, this is an issue that needs to be examined but is of nearly zero impact.

Lightroom, Cornerfix and (I believe) Capture One can all easily fix this type of color shading.

I always expect to make some effort to get the best results from any camera I use. And that includes my D4, which can do almost anything, seemingly without human intervention.

If I just want really easy images then I don't expect ultimate IQ.

My guess is that the RX-1 will deliver amazing IQ with minimal work and that only a small number of files will be notably better with the very easy color shading fix.

And it doesn't bother me any that a $3,000 camera on the bleeding edge of technology has a few hiccups.

My RX-1 is scheduled for delivery later today.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher | HatakeyamaGallery.com

V

Vivek

and flash seems to cure it, once again suggesting it is not just the lens.
Contrasty flash lighting cures all evils, in general. That isn't the point though. One can not light up a whole gloomy sky with flash.

I agree that you can not separate a lens to point fingers, especially in a P&S cam.

Shashin

It was a snowy day here today. My dog, a tiny Newfoundland that only comes in at a little less than 100lbs, was enjoying the weather. Until she decided sitting in front of the fire was a nicer idea.

jonoslack

It was a snowy day here today. My dog, a tiny Newfoundland that only comes in at a little less than 100lbs, was enjoying the weather. Until she decided sitting in front of the fire was a nicer idea.
Lovely: - Caspar is keen on snow as well . . . but he's a meagre 30lbs

Shashin

Not from the RX1, but from our first Newfoundland who was 150lbs--and I am not a small human being. I have found that lots of dogs love snow.

jonoslack

Not from the RX1, but from our first Newfoundland who was 150lbs--and I am not a small human being. I have found that lots of dogs love snow.
Kai looks lovely - Oh, okay, you look lovely too :ROTFL: nice picture though.

Yes indeed - I think we've had 11 dogs - nothing as big as your Newfoundland, but looking back I think that they've all liked snow.

jonoslack

Caspar's problem is sitting on tables - not so bad in the garden, but to be discouraged in the kitchen:

(excuse me, this is off topic as it was shot with a NEX7 - but hey - it's in context :))

Shashin

Never had a problem with a Newfoundland getting on a table, which is a good thing regardless of the breed. But then again, they are tall enough to see what is going on...

I am thinking I am seeing a little color shifting going on...

barjohn

Nice photos. Are these crops? I don't see any color shift in this nice white snow.

Shashin

Nice photos. Are these crops? I don't see any color shift in this nice white snow.
Full frame, RAW, straight out of the camera with just lens correction in ACR. Now you see why I am a little touchy about color shifts. If they are too sever, then the next six months in Maine become a photographer's nightmare--why do you think I have a black dog.

jonoslack

Caspar on the table is slightly tilted, and slightly cropped. Shashin I don't think there's any significant colour shift (it was with the Sony 18-55 kit lens!). There could be some clumsy processing though.
Caspar is often on the table - including the kitchen table. He is the only dog we have ever had who appears to have no feelings of guilt or conscience: tell him to get off the table, and he immediately gets off (he's obedient you know). Then turn around and he jumps back up again.
. . . more seriously, I don't think you should be panicking about colour shifts - if it turns up you can fix it (sufficient to the time thereof).
I'm fascinated by the RX-1 - but it isn't for me (wrong focal length amongst other subjective problems).

Shashin

Jono, thanks. The RX1 was not an easy purchase--I sold 200lbs of gear on ebay to afford it. It certainly is not a camera for everyone. After some shooting today and remembering why I bought it (it is not my only camera), I will be keeping it. The images coming off it are beautiful--and certainly colorful. The second picture of my dog is ISO2000 and no NR. It is a beautiful little camera which is hard to imagine until you meet it in the flesh. With the older brother it is replacing.