The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

Hosermage

Hi Joe,

Having shot the same scene just days apart with the M9+28'Cron, I do believe your shots came out better, both in color and contrast. I'd have to select a medium contrast curve and push up clarity to match your IQ. Just bringing this up to say how wonderful the RX1 is!

Hi Joe,

Having shot the same scene just days apart with the M9+28'Cron, I do believe your shots came out better, both in color and contrast. I'd have to select a medium contrast curve and push up clarity to match your IQ. Just bringing this up to say how wonderful the RX1 is!
Aloha David and welcome to Hawaii. Conditions vary daily, hourly and by the minute from the Pali Lookout making it difficult to make true camera/lens comparisons. Time of the day, cloud cover and vog (volcanic gas) are just some of the factors. On a good day the mountains in the background and Chinaman's Hat (the tiny island in the middle) can be quite clear. On a bad day, everything is quite hazy. Nevertheless, the Rx1 is a nice performer and this particular day was pretty good. Hope you are enjoying your visit.

Last edited:

Vlad

I was on the fence about the RX1. Ready and packed to return it to B&H and wait with my dollars for the arrival of the new M.

After working a few of the files tho and mentally recapping my experience shooting this thing, I am keeping her and rather selling the XPro1. Shooting with the display is a nuisance to me, but that can be fixed by buying (first: finding) an EVF for it. A case will make the camera a little grippier for my big hands. Overall tho, it is a pleasure to shoot. The files are beautifully malleable in post, the B/W conversions have the nice Zeiss pop that I am used to from my ZF glass.

Mix of SOOC JPG and LR4 processed raws.

barjohn

Viad,

Those images do pop! By the way, the Gariz case is now available. I have had his cases in the past and they are well made and very flexible in use as you don't have to remove them to access the battery and SD card for and the folding recessed screw allows for a loop clip attachment while still providing a tripod attachment point (though in this case it is off center with the lens). Gariz Italy Leather Camera Half Case Brown for Sony RX1 XS CHRX1BR New | eBay I almost ordered it but I was concerned about the extra height it adds to the camera. My hands are probably average size.

barjohn

Joe,

The B&Ws are stunning and you seem to nail focus on every shot with eyes that sparkle. The third one with the colored sticks looks like they are jumping out of my monitor at me. I don't know if you were there official photographer or not as I see the other photographer in the one shot but if you weren't they are probably wishing you were.

kuujinbo

This thread helped pushed me over the edge to buy the camera probably more so than anything else I saw on the Internet...the wallet says thanks? Seriously, had the camera a little less than a week and love it. A few shots.

barjohn

I'm a big fan of portraits. They are always a challenge. Do you capture the look you want. Does it convey the feelings you saw and the hardest part is having your subject like them. It seems to never fail, the look you thought was precious they think is goofy or less than flattering. :) I keep trying but sometimes I just try to please myself.

kuujinbo

I'm a big fan of portraits. They are always a challenge. Do you capture the look you want. Does it convey the feelings you saw and the hardest part is having your subject like them. It seems to never fail, the look you thought was precious they think is goofy or less than flattering. :) I keep trying but sometimes I just try to please myself.
Me too, especially kid portraits. :) Kids express emotions differently than most adults. Our son isn't self-conscious about goofy or off guard shots - we're lucky he's still at a good age I guess. Some of my favorites are his goofy moments.

Joe,

The B&Ws are stunning and you seem to nail focus on every shot with eyes that sparkle. The third one with the colored sticks looks like they are jumping out of my monitor at me. I don't know if you were there official photographer or not as I see the other photographer in the one shot but if you weren't they are probably wishing you were.
Thanks John. When autofocus and face detection hit the mark - the images are superb. However, when the camera misses, it can miss badly. I would say the Rx1 is like a home run hitter who strikes out quite a bit as opposed to a singles hitter who hits for a high average but never produces that ESPN highlight clip.

Yes, I was the official photographer except for the pre-ceremony event.

And by the way, I am starting to have an issue with the camera which I will discuss later. In the meantime here are a few more photos from the reception at f/2.2 (oops - didn't turn the aperture ring all the way).

pophoto

Joe, your hit rate is so high, I can only imagine that any issues you have to be quite an annoying one! Which is often the case when something is so good but just not perfect!

Shashin

I have never been able to shoot one-handed with a medium-format camera. It is really nice to have focus and the aperture on the lens. You do get used to releasing the shutter with your ring finger.

barjohn

Joe,

If the issue is AF sometimes indicating focus but being off, I have seen this issue. I am still trying to learn how the AF works and when to use MF. Last night I was doing some experimenting in extremely low light and it appeared that the camera could find focus a little faster with center focus over flexible spot. However, results weren't consistent enough for me to state that with certainty. I also seem to find that it struggles more with faces than with inanimate objects. I plan to do some more controlled experiments to learn what works best and under what conditions. I don't know if this is the issue you are referring to or not. By the way MF is dead on in very very low light.