The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
OK Mark...now you've done it...I may have to break down and add yet another camera.

Seriously all of these work...except the last one. I wonder if Nik Viveza and lowering the exposure or brightness at the center of the flower would help...or maybe lower sat or contrast. Looks too Sony!!!!!!

All of the others are stunning....

JMHO...and it is more humble each day. At least that is the plan.

Bob

Shashin

That is why there are not many mushroom hunters in Florida.

The other thing that strikes me is that 35mm is not your textbook focal length for photographing predators in the wild.

docmoore

Only a proctologist or an orthodontist would be comfortable with that focal length and exposure.

Bob

docmoore

Sorry Mark to run this thread so OT...

The pictures are marvelous and I need to look a bit closer at the camera....

Bob

OK Mark...now you've done it...I may have to break down and add yet another camera.

Seriously all of these work...except the last one. I wonder if Nik Viveza and lowering the exposure or brightness at the center of the flower would help...or maybe lower sat or contrast. Looks too Sony!!!!!!

All of the others are stunning....

JMHO...and it is more humble each day. At least that is the plan.

Bob
Bob,

Thank you for the comment concerning the color on the last photo. When I applied the profile created with the passport color checker, the color of the flower shifted from blue to purplish blue. However, it seems very close to what I remember in the very bright warm mid-morning south Florida sun. I will take another look at it again later on my calibrated display and see what de-saturating it does. Unfortunately, I didn't photograph this flower with my S2 for comparison.

Mark

I am surprised how little camera shake there is. Not because of the shutter in the RX1, but the shudder that would be down my spine. ;)
Surprisingly, I felt pretty comfortable being so close to the gator because it was in the culvert and my position above and behind it. I knew the culvert would prevent any swift moves by the gator to get to my position although I as only about 3-4 ft away.

I admit to being surprised upon seeing the gator. I was not expecting it there and I had been there a couple minutes before spotting in it.

ashwinrao1

That gator shot is amazing, Mark. You sure did get close. I'm also impressed by your lack of hand shake. There was nary a hint of blur in the cropped image. By the way, I like your colors and processing for the entire series. Everything looks very natural.

Ashwin, I really appreciate your opinion of the processing. I am still trying to sort out the processing of RX1 images so it is great to get objective opinions of their appearance.

The following photos are from the same weekend trip as the Everglade, but they very different. This set is from the West Palm Beach Cavallino Classic Concorso d’Eleganza at The Breakers. It is a great venue to see some remarkable Ferrari's.

ashwinrao1

ISO 6400, low light...most impressive detail and color preservation that I have seen in a camera, to date...color me increasingly impressed. AF was accurate too for such darkly lit scenes...

docmoore

The following photos are from the same weekend trip as the Everglade, but they very different. This set is from the West Palm Beach Cavallino Classic Concorso d’Eleganza at The Breakers. It is a great venue to see some remarkable Ferrari's.
Mark,

These are looking close to shots with the S2...any thoughts?

Bob

Mark,

These are looking close to shots with the S2...any thoughts?

Bob
I haven't done a direct comparison yet, but did shoot both cameras simultaneously at the Everglades and Cavallino so I should have some photos for an unscientific comparison. I can already say that I am happy enough with the RX1 IQ that I don't feel like I am missing too much versus using the S2.

Before getting the RX1, I was content to use my iPhone for photos at times I couldn't have the S2 because the other compact cameras I had tried or considered weren't close enough in IQ for me to consider using them for anything serious (e.g., print for display). I had the LeicaX1 and was happy with its IQ but not its slow performance. I considered the X2 due to its improved speed and I also considered the Fuji X-E1 as viable candidates for what I wanted. I chose the RX1 for the full frame and extra resolution. I am very happy with that choice although the other two candidates would probably have been fine.

As Ashwin mentioned above, the high ISO performance of the RX1 is excellent. It is liberating to actually be able to use auto ISO up to 6400 with no worries.

Mark

Ashwin, excellent examples of the RX1 high ISO performance. I particularly like the B&W photo of yourself due to the clean tonal ranges.

ashwinrao1

Thanks, guys. Mark, you are right that the RX-1 presents a nice opportunity for BW conversions. Coming from the M Monochrom, I find the transition and trying to achieve flexible BW results a bit challenging, but I am glad that you find the output pleasing.

I have done a bunch of head to head ISO-ISO comparisons between the RX-1 and XE-1, and I don't think it's even close (wouldn't have said that a few weeks ago). The RX-1 dominates from ISO 1600 onward. This may be due in part to using LR4 to convert both cameras' RAW files, but RX-1 files retain incredible detail up to ISO 6400, though noise is apparent.

I do feel that at base ISO's, I see less noise in the XE-1 files, and about the same amount of detail. It's a bit of apples to oranges, due to different file sizes from differing megapixels/sensor.

The RX-1 is winning me over more and more. AF is better than the XE-1's performance in most circumstances, and both struggle for low light, low contrast work....

I am gaining more and more of an appreciation for the camera....it's a real pocket rocket!