The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

Shashin

Joe, I think this is why the RX-1 is such a great second camera (or tenth if you are a more normal member).

Joe, the dunes photos are really good - actually they some of the best photos I have seen of that location and time of day. Plus your story illustrates another great use of the RX1. I bought a small LowePro camera pouch that fits the RX1 and can be attached to a backpack shoulder strap. I had a similar setup when I had the Leica X1 and it was great to have it readily accessible to grab a quick photo while packing into a location without having to remove the pack and pull out the S2.

retow

Fun photos retow. Nice variety. Are you using the RX1 exclusively?
I brought the RX1 and DP2 Merrill along for a one week trip with family. The Sigma for landscapes and the Sony for all the rest. Within its limits, the RX1 is an amazingly versatile tool and a lot of fun to shoot with.

Justinl

Hi all, after tons of research and debating I took the plunge and ordered an RX1. After seeing the picture quality on this thread and some other sites I couldn't resist. I have an NEX 6 but it was just lacking something for me, I also use the RX100 which I love.

I live in the UK so the camera is hideously expensive, but what camera offers such a stunning lens and sensor combo, and I didn't want the bulk of a DSLR. Anyway I hope to get a few images over the weekend depending on the weather. Any tips would be most welcome.

Justin

I arrived at Devils Golf Course in Death Valley before sunrise and carefully stepped out about 50yards over sharp salt crystals. I had the place to myself and setup my D800 with the 14-24 and my Sony Rx1. Unfortunately, a workshop group of a dozen photographers drove up in several vehicles. A few members joined me and I continued shooting to the south away from the parking area. There was a little color in the sky but nothing exciting. However, when we looked to the north we noticed the sky and clouds beautifully lit. I grabbed the Sony on the little tripod and carefully walked laterally over the spiky crystals until I had a clearer view and quickly took an 11 shot panorama. Here it is.
f/13 1/60sec iso 100.

Hi all, after tons of research and debating I took the plunge and ordered an RX1 ... Any tips would be most welcome.

Justin
Congratulations Justin. Here are a couple of tips that may or may not work for you. For casual shooting or if lighting is rapidly changing I set the camera to manual mode and iso to auto. This gives me more control than aperture priority which tends to default to 1/80 sec. I also set the customizable C button (on top) to AF/MF toggle which allows me to lock focus without having to use the lever in the front of the camera. If your camera is not auto-focusing when you press the shutter it is because you are set to MF or the lens ring has been rotated to macro mode. Finally, try turning off the audio signal via the menu to eliminate the shutter sound which is on by default. Makes the camera impressively quiet. That's it for now. Enjoy.

Justinl

Joe,

Many thanks for your tips, first thing I did was turn off the sound. The others I will try out. I took the camera for it's first outing yesterday to St Pauls and the Thames, only took a few pictures as the lighting wasn't great and I was at work.

Justinl

Nice start Justin. Look forward to seeing more. Would love to visit London someday.
Thanks. It's a very interesting city with so much to see, it's such a diverse city with a mixture of old and new, I would classify it more as a mixture of towns and villages all within a vicinity with their own character and charm.

Hope fully over the next few weeks I'll get far more use from the RX1. Looking at both yours and other people's results it shows what it is capable of if the photographer has a good eye.

retow

RX1 at the Dubai Camel Race Festival. The "wrong tool for the job", yet still fun.

Last edited:

Helena

Great photos retow! I'd love to see something like that in real life.
Overall very good work in this thread. If only I could comment on all photos, but being 24 pages behind... I have to say though that Joe Marquez, those sand dune photos are stunning!

Normally I post at FredMiranda, but then I remembered that I have an account here too :), so here are a few photos that I have shot since December (I couldn't find any photos post rules, but I hope this size is OK):

Langåskjølen nature reserve by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Golden light by Helena Normark, on Flickr

View from Havstein kirke by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Net Fence by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Frozen rowboat by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Old barn by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Winter mist by Helena Normark, on Flickr

View from Uståsen by Helena Normark, on Flickr

ashwinrao1

Retow, this is stunning work!!!

Helena, wow, amazing captures, color, and compositions!!!

Keith, great captures...espec love the last portrait...