The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

M

mjr

Afternoon

Today saw my first real play with the RX1, out visiting a site we are clearing at the moment. In most cases I'm shooting through the bullet proof glass of my armoured vehicle, this lends a strange tint to the images that I personally quite like! I also really like how the RX1 handles these environmental portrait type shots.

Anyway, here are a couple.

Shashin

Mir, when you say "clearing a field," I assume you are not talking about bunny rabbits. The worst thing I can step on in my neighborhood is what the cows leave behind. Take care.

Love the first portrait.

M

mjr

Thanks Shashin, no bunnies I'm afraid, I don't think they'd last long! We're always careful, the stuff we clear is often the easy part.

Cheers

Mat

John Kraus

MJR,
Enjoying your imagery. Love the storm shot with the housing quarters, ditto the oil rig shot. And love the tint of the windows! Shoot a white sheet or paper through the window and share the CT with us if you'd like.

Lots of cool shots everyone. Nice to see the variety.
Starting to get more comfortable using the Rx1 on shoots.
Here are a few from yesterday - all in natural light.

Last edited:
M

mjr

Afternoon

Thanks for the likes and comments, much appreciated! I will shoot some white paper through the window, no worries.

I've been having a play with the files for conversion to B&W, I really like what I see, my style obviously but they seem to stand up really well to quite heavy, high key processing.

Mat

Really enjoying your photos Mat.
Couple of questions.
Is the Rx1 tough enough for field conditions in Iraq?
What camera did you use before?
Thanks.

fultonpics

had a quick weekend in Libya so grabbed the RX1 for the job. Love it. I'll post people pics later, but the thing works great as a street camera in a place where you can get shot for taking a pic. love carrying 3 batteries/charger and that's about it. so much lighter than 2 D4's 24-70, 70-200 i usually pack. I need images to publish, and the files will do. (these are small web jpegs here)

Last edited:
Well done fultonpics. Many wonderful images and the lovely deep blue sky looks familiar. My Rx1 gives me some of the most beautiful blue skies I've ever seen from a camera. Just one if its many talents.

fultonpics

thks Joe

no filters needed for the dark blue skies! i really enjoy using the back screen for shooting--it makes the camera look totally like an amateur point and shoot. less questions from militia and not offensive to general public in crowded Medina areas. also pro DLSR can lead to police demanding to see your photo shooting documents--which is a pain to get in some places.

Agree, using the back screen makes the Rx1 look like a somewhat oversized point and shoot camera. When I want to be taken seriously I just slap on the EVF. Works every time.

Shashin

The back screen with the grid makes the RX-1 a spy's tech camera. When I want to be serious, I focus with a loupe. ;)

Joe, Hawaiian mods? Was this a shoot or are the Who and the Jam coming back into fashion? It is like the set of Quadrophenia.

M

mjr

I agree with you all, for me, I've been missing the real quality of a dslr in something I want to carry in Iraq or Afghanistan. For many years I've carried a full canon kit through Darfur, Chad, Syria and all those sorts of places, every airport or border is a hassle and a risk, that's before I start taking shots in dodgy places, the RX1 could be a revolution for my needs.

I've been using a Panasonic GF1 for the last couple of years, looking through Lightroom now, I have hardly any GF1 shots over 400 ISO that I like, the RX1 is hugely better in this respect.

The other thing I've noticed is the punch from the RX1 files, for example, this is a shot from Afghanistan a couple of months ago with the GF1...

I love this shot, it tells a real story to me having been there but it is very difficult to get it looking how my mind sees it, where as the files I've taken over the last couple of days have a real depth to them that I've not seen from the GF1. So much so, I'm almost looking forward to going back to Kabul just so I can take shots with the RX1. Almost!

As for the camera being tough enough, my body armour covers the vital organs but doesn't come low enough in my opinion! I'd be happy to have the RX1 on a longer strap so it covers the "family Jewels" I suspect it's easily as bullet proof as the vest!

fultonpics

yep, is an amazing walk around camera, but I question the strategy of using it to protect the 'family jewels'. getting through airports is a breeze, they don't even look at it. in Nov, i got a tour of the 'special' security room at the Frankfurt airport when i brought my D4's through--chemical tests, taking apart the pocket wizards, etc. 20 mins of my life lost forever. then there is the challenge of taking a tripod internationally--guaranteed to snag you somewhere. i just took a little manfrotto pocket tripod this time. oh the new pocket wizards seem to work fine with the rx1. so i may try packing a q flash next time (in the check in stuff)

btw, it was freezing in London on Wednesday. happy to be back in california. the rx1 excels at taking pics of people with guns!

John Kraus

Love all the pics, everyone. Joe, the first image with the guy in sunglasses and 2 girls is great.

Mat, I keep on enjoying your work. BTW, figured out when shooting out your bullet-proof car window it's the tint plus the grad effect- lighter on top, darker on bottom. Talking about looking for more punch in RX1 files- it's 3 things to me- one is how we handle the image in post, of course. Second is avoiding flare- the Zeiss coating is great but flare will still hit the image if you don't protect the lens. The third is shooting at F/8 or there abouts- that's when that 3D quality really takes over, I've noticed it shooting buildings in San Francisco.

Sir Fultonpics, very nice- crisp and interesting.

I've been starting to help my 16 year old daughter get into photography, it makes one think. So much is about access. My daughter can take amazing photos of teens that I never could, as she's part of that world. If you're part of the scene your shooting, it's a whole different look and feel so much of the time.

Last edited: