The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

rsolti13

Mark - the trees are all excellent, wow!

I haven't had much time to shoot anything but the kids for the past several months, but should have some opportunity now. Picked up an RX1....love what I'm seeing so far. I need to find a better way of handling it (very uncomfortable), but as of now that's my only gripe

First, my other love

some from a quick walk-around

Shashin

I have not posted in a while. I was out in the garden this evening. It had been raining all day. The spring forest is just lovely. Rx-1, can't remember the lens. ;)

Geoff

Took the RX1 to Cambridge and had fun shooting there. Am beginning to trust the camera a bit more, although still a bit cautious about the distortion. Yes, LR4 (raw) will take out much of it, but its a bit evident still. I don't think its good. I've used a 50mm Schneider MF lens for shooting architectural drawings, and you can clean up the barrel distortion easily in C1 to get perfecgt line quality - can't do this with RX1/Zeiss, as its distortion is a mustache shape, and not easily corrected. But with LR4, its now acceptable. Other than that, lovely camera. Manual settings, auto ISO is the way to go!

The shot with reflections is trickier than it might appear - with lots of different light color and values.

Shashin

Geoff, I find the lens correction profile in ACR fine. Are you using that or manually adjusting for distortion?

Geoff

Geoff, I find the lens correction profile in ACR fine. Are you using that or manually adjusting for distortion?
I'm doing it with the built in for LR4. Its decent, just not really great for critical line work. For most images, its fine tho. I sometimes like to use the camera (while traveling) to shoot artwork or line drawings, and that's a pretty critical use.

You are right - the correction for RAW is better than the built-in jpg correction.

M

mjr

Evening all

Apparently it has been 3 days since anyone had fun with an RX1! I don't believe it!

Anyway, heres a quick shot grabbed this evening as I was driving about, I really like the light.

Mat

Shashin

We are so busy having fun, we don't have time to post...

From today with a 9-stop Hoya ND filter.

Geoff

Happened to be out west.... thinking of Atget at 8 AM in an empty mall. Was told you can't photograph the buildings, as they are private property. Gee....

Shashin

RX-1 TIP OF THE DAY

This could also because I am slow, but the often published complaint that the shutter speed is fixed at 1/80s in P with Auto ISO is not true. You can set the shutter by simply using the shutter speed dial at the back of the camera. Essentially, in P with AutoISO, you are in a limited shutter priority mode.

But you probably already knew that...

RX-1 TIP OF THE DAY

This could also because I am slow, but the often published complaint that the shutter speed is fixed at 1/80s in P with Auto ISO is not true. You can set the shutter by simply using the shutter speed dial at the back of the camera. Essentially, in P with AutoISO, you are in a limited shutter priority mode.

But you probably already knew that...
No! I didn't know that. I guess I am slower than you. :) Thank you for the tip. It will be much more convenient than switching over to shutter priority mode.