The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

eleanorbrown

Thanks Stephen..... the river is roaring and somewhat cloudy from all the rain and I wanted a really different look on these...ie: very calm in this case. Shutter speed anywhere from 4 to about 20 seconds. Eleanor

I think ND filters are often overused, but these are great.

eleanorbrown

One more shot this evening with the RX1R. Upper Snake River near Montezuma. River is very high and large boulders here so lots of water action from all the rain of late. However used my 6 stop ND filter and iso of 64 to calm things down and soften the tones in the water. Eleanor

biglouis

Just wait a little Louis for the NEX't Sony.
You're not completly without a camera at the moment :p
Michiel, lol! Yes, I am a bit spoiled. And I could probably live with just the RX1 for a long time.

I think ND filters are often overused, but these are great.
Nothing wrong with ND filters. I have been using the new Lee 75 system with the big stopper on and off for about six months.

ramosa

Sounds like a great camera, including the images I have seen here and elsewhere. I'm hoping the RX2, whenever it arrives, will have a built-in viewfinder and quicker autofocus (per my interests in street photography). Regardless, images from the RX2 are stellar. Great 3D feel, clarity, etc.

biglouis

One of the best 'almost' free attractions in London is the 'heritage' bus routes run by London Transport where they still operate the iconic red Routemaster bus. For the price of a bus ticket you get an authenticate feel for the old bus and a tour from Trafalgar Square to the Tower of London. This is from the top deck.

gnarzwarz

I don't actually have an RX1 (sniff), but I did get my hands on a RAW file comparison from a Leica M9 and an RX1 in which the M9 looked a lot better.

Curious whether the RX1 could match the M9, I made a tone curve and the resulting Lightroom 5 preset is attached (one with vignetting and one without, remove the .txt from the filename). It gives a nice subtle punch without altering the image too much. Also works nicely for the NEX5 I do actually own.

biglouis

Granary Square (King's Cross, London) panorama (5 images stitched with Autopano Pro) - showing the installation art 'Across the Buildings2 by Swiss artist Felice Varini.

You can view a larger version here

douglasf13

6x6, the Nex-6 and Nex-7 have an EVF positioned exactly as you described. By trying to make the RX-1 as small as possible, I think Sony missed the boat in not including a similar, built-in EVF (they should have also included the tilt-up LCD, IMO.)
I need to eat some crow on this comment, as I'm now a current RX1 user, and I actually returned the EVF in favor of the OVF. I'm especially glad that the RX1 doesn't have the A7's EVF hump. Tilt screen would still be nice, though.