The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

Jim DE

Will I have a chance to get a RX1R with a moderate scratch across the LCD which is not visible when the LCD is on for about $150 more than a Sigma 35mm ART lens and a USB module............ I am about to tell the guy I'll take it but am having trouble saying it.....

Thorkil

fist time I look at these RX1/r pictures at all, and I'm amazed by the present 3-dimensional look and "alive-look" - actually quit shocking, at first I guessed it had to do with most people here making special pp., special sharpening for the net. But I guess its not the only explanation....hmmm rather strange, and wildly attracting....
Thorkil
PS Chiquita, what did you do for sharpening your Greece pictures, (which are amazing)..??

Thorkil

Will I have a chance to get a RX1R with a moderate scratch across the LCD which is not visible when the LCD is on for about $150 more than a Sigma 35mm ART lens and a USB module............ I am about to tell the guy I'll take it but am having trouble saying it.....
...should I take over ...? :)
thorkil

chiquita

Thorkil, I'm a lazy sharpener. I use either Lightroom standard Landscape sharpening or VSCO filter has a selection of three sharpening levels so I use the lowest. The lens is scarily sharp to begin with!

Thorkil

Thank you Chiquita!
I hope I will settle down, or else it will be expensive, the r is twice as much as the non-r.
But I'll have to see.
Thorkil

Thorkil

A new RX1 will cost me about 1.875 $. A RX1R 3.100 $.
The big question will be, is the extra 1.225 $ worth it, considering RAW files?
Or asked in another way: IF I'm going RX1, of the reason its the ultimate or better Leica Minilux, or Rollei 35, than those were, it doesn't give any meening going only half the way, that I realize. If the difference is that final edge, THAT touch, that will mentally "close the deal" (if I decide) then it would be ok for me.
What is the advice....???
:)
thorkil

iiiNelson

A new RX1 will cost me about 1.875 $. A RX1R 3.100 $.
The big question will be, is the extra 1.225 $ worth it, considering RAW files?
Or asked in another way: IF I'm going RX1, of the reason its the ultimate or better Leica Minilux, or Rollei 35, than those were, it doesn't give any meening going only half the way, that I realize. If the difference is that final edge, THAT touch, that will mentally "close the deal" (if I decide) then it would be ok for me.
What is the advice....???
:)
thorkil
I think by most accounts I've read from owners of both is that there isn't much difference. Theres a slight sharpness edge to the R but also a higher chance of moire. Pick your poison. Might be easier to just digitally sharpen your RAWs ever so slightly.

Shashin

I have the RX-1. The RX-1r looks nice, but I have never felt the urge to "trade up.". I have never thought of my RX-1 as being soft or lacking resolution. Once you throw sharpening into your post processing, I am not sure there is any meaningful difference.

Shashin

Its only money...

I really like my RX-1, but I have also had a lot of fixed lens camera and so I get along with this. I am never sure about others. There is so much personal taste in these types of cameras.

Thorkil

I have the RX-1. The RX-1r looks nice, but I have never felt the urge to "trade up.". I have never thought of my RX-1 as being soft or lacking resolution. Once you throw sharpening into your post processing, I am not sure there is any meaningful difference.
Yes..and I'm sure for the 96% of the matter it is a psychological problem, but to prevent being hit by the last 4% in my mind, I might consider going all the way....:p
thorkil

Thorkil

Excellent...... as I look at these images there is just something special about them. I see a similar look with A7R images but in my opinion the RX1 and RX1r images just nudge them out a full heads length with that step into the image type appearance.

Now if I can just get past the feeling of limitation a single focal length camera has. My DP2m doesn't get used more because it is a one trick pony. Maybe the better higher iso capabilities of a RX1r will keep it in my hands more often than not. The idea of getting a a9 or a7rII with a 55mm is compelling but I also would have focal length options with their excellent 16-35 and 70-200 glass. Not to mention my legacy glass I use on my Nex camera's.

Decisions, decisions.....
...or just let the RX1R be the 75%-of-the-time-camera with those stellar captures, and later supplied by a 7 II+16-36+tele for the rest of the time (or "just" a Oly M5II with those more affordable and les bulky (upcoming) 7-14 + 12-40.
But a RX1/R wil not be as portable as a Ricoh GR......but ultimate stellar 3-D-like pictures could perhaps give the bottom of one's soul the sufficient inspiration to smile a bit more....
hmmm.......

Shashin

There are some landmarks that simply define a place. The greatest city in the world...

...Tokyo.

(If you look carefully, you can see the Eiffel Tower as well. ;) )

Shashin

April 9th, 2015. That is April, as in the spring, when warm weather comes to melt all the snow--without exception. That is 6" of stuff that should be bothering someone in Alaska or somewhere.