The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

jkjod

Just returned from a vacation with the Mrs. to Slovenia. The little RX1r did not disappoint. Did find that I've some dust on the sensor, will have to figure out if this is something under my warranty or not (as I bought used). Some of these are 2-4 shot stitched photos,

Rastoke, Croatia
DSC08899.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Rastoke, Croatia
DSC08895.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Lake Bohinj, Slovenia
DSC09734-Pano-2.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Lake Bohinj, Slovenia
DSC09695-Pano.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Lake Bohinj, Slovenia
DSC09683-Pano.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Vintgar Gorge, Slovenia
DSC09589.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Vintgar Gorge, Slovenia
DSC09546.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Lake Bled, Slovenia
DSC09342.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Lake Bled, Slovenia
DSC09341.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Lake Bled, Slovenia
DSC09280-Pano.jpg by jkjod, on Flickr

Audii-Dudii

Here are some recent photos from my "85258" project, which involves me photographing my neighborhood within walking distance of my house late at night / early in the morning. All four photos were taken using a Sony SEL075UWC wide-angle converter modified to mount onto the RX1's lens bayonet:

Some very minor cropping was done to the first and fourth photos during post-processing to tidy up the compositions. The wide-angle converter does add some additional distortion, but I am able to clean it up sufficiently for my purposes using the tools in RAW Therapee when I process the RX1's RAW files.

Audii-Dudii

I returned home from last night's outing around 1:00 am and took this photo, among others, while I was out, as part of my project of photographing around my neighborhood at night:

While I was out and about, however, I found myself thinking about the Sigma DP-1 Merrill, with its 28mm (effective) lens and smaller sensor, which would let me photograph with shorter exposures without giving up any depth of field, etc., and as I finished copying the files from my SD card to my primary and backup hard drives, I decided why not? and ordered a used one from Adorama.

However, when I awoke later in the morning, I had an email from them saying my credit card had been declined due to an incorrect expiration date and/or security code. And sure enough, I had fat-fingered the security code while entering my info. But as I started to enter it again, only correctly this time, I had a change of heart and decided to cancel my order, because I really am quite happy overall with the performance of my pair of RX1s.

G.A.S. is a sneaky lil bastard and it can -- and will! -- catch you out whenever you let your guard down and get sucked in by its sirens' song. It was a close call this time, but fortunately, I managed to stay the course... <phew!>

Kyndel

Just returned from a vacation with the Mrs. to Slovenia. The little RX1r did not disappoint. Did find that I've some dust on the sensor, will have to figure out if this is something under my warranty or not (as I bought used). Some of these are 2-4 shot stitched photos,

I got also dust on my sensor after only about 800 shots (RX1R), and send it to repair, but Sony answered, that they would not clean it.

Very sorry, even the camera is very good: Will never buy Sony again, and Lloyd Chambers has also written about the VERY poor customer help from Sony.

It destroys the fun with the camera, that you have to remove dust at every picture, and as everybody know, You can not clean it yourself from the camera, as You can
with a DSLR

Never Sony again.

Hulyss Bowman

I hope to have my hands on a RX1r new before the end of the year. After lot of study I do not think I need an another DSLR than my D700 and I do not think I should invest into more lenses.

The thing is 37MP is too much for me, even more today than few years ago, when 37MP was introduced. So I need a very good 24MP camera and miss 35mm focal. Very good 24 MP camera like D700 do not exist. Some might say D750 but no, thank you.

The RX1r is, as the date of today, the most finished camera Sony ever crafted. It is, built wise, superior to any A7 camera to date even A7r2d2.

I've got dust on sensor with PS camera before, like the DP series. Every time, after a while, the dust go off. This is my experience and it is related to lens breathing. My advice is to put immediately a filter. My dust spot appeared only after filter removal for whatever reason.

Kyndel

I hope to have my hands on a RX1r new before the end of the year. After lot of study I do not think I need an another DSLR than my D700 and I do not think I should invest into more lenses.

The thing is 37MP is too much for me, even more today than few years ago, when 37MP was introduced. So I need a very good 24MP camera and miss 35mm focal. Very good 24 MP camera like D700 do not exist. Some might say D750 but no, thank you.

The RX1r is, as the date of today, the most finished camera Sony ever crafted. It is, built wise, superior to any A7 camera to date even A7r2d2.

I've got dust on sensor with PS camera before, like the DP series. Every time, after a while, the dust go off. This is my experience and it is related to lens breathing. My advice is to put immediately a filter. My dust spot appeared only after filter removal for whatever reason.
Thanks, interesting, what filter do you recommend = Normally a filter degrade the sharpness ? (I do not care, what it cost, just want the very best)

Hulyss Bowman

Thanks, interesting, what filter do you recommend = Normally a filter degrade the sharpness ? (I do not care, what it cost, just want the very best)
That's maybe true on some cameras ?? I did the "sharpnessloss" test on my DP3 Merrill with a Heliopan simple protective filter (or maybe it was UV) : No loss at pixel level. So I think you can just go with a good quality filter. If you want the best and your in the US go Breakthrough Photography filters.

I would push even further, if you have access to Breakthrough Photography filters, I would even take a ND4 or(and) ND6 in + of protective filter since the camera is 1/2000s.

The Ute

I absolutely love my Rx1R. It makes me think of what a DP Merrill could have been properly engineered and refined. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Either a Heliopan or B and W.

Kyndel

Thanks to Hulyss and Ute.

No...... in Denmark (Europe), but I will certainly find it.

By the way: I send the DP2M back because of the same (I have all 3 Merrills), and the new DP2M does not have the problem (at least untill now ;) but perhaps I could have solved it in this way.

Kyndel

Thanks to Hulyss and Ute.

No...... in Denmark (Europe), but I will certainly find it.

By the way: I send the DP2M back because of the same (I have all 3 Merrills), and the new DP2M does not have the problem (at least untill now ;) but perhaps I could have solved it in this way.

Supplement: I was too fast, when I just wrote "sharpness", I more often see flare/ghosting when sun or some light is in the frame, and You use filter, but I will try Heliopan or B & W?

Audii-Dudii

I find this interesting. I guess I've been lucky -- knock wood! -- because I live in central Arizona, where we have dust storms regularly during the monsoon season, so there is lots and lots of dust in the air (which is hardly a surprise, what with this area being a desert and all), yet I can't recall the last time I had a problem with dust infiltrating any of my cameras or lenses.

Of course, I've only been using my RX1s for approx. six months now, so who knows?

scho

RX1R, manual mode, f/11, 1/250, auto ISO (500), 10 shots in fast continuous mode. Generated a 97 MP composite image in PhotoAcute3 and then re-sampled to 40 MP.