The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX7 in paradise

Rawfa

I´ve just arrived from a 12 day vacation through Brazil´s northeast (Maceió, Maragogi and Porto de Galinhas). These places (specially Maragogi) had some of the most beautiful beaches I´ve ever seen on my life. These were some of the most memorable vacations I´ve ever had.
Anyway, I these are all jpegs taken with the NEX7 and the 16mm pancake. Since I was in the water most of the time I had to keep the NEX7 inside the Dicapac underwater case at all times, so even the pictures that are not underwater were taken with the NEX7 inside the case (that is also why I used the 16mm all the time)

removed due to limitation

Rawfa

Hi guys; Many thanks for the kind words.
The worst part of the trip was coming back home. Most of these beaches were far from civilization and near fishermen´s villages. Rio (where I live) for all its´ nature and amazing beaches is one of the biggest cities in the world.
I cannot remember what Dicapac model I´ve bought but I think it´s one of these Waterproof Camera Case | Dicapac. I would recomend it for people who use it every once in a while like me, but if you want it for a daily basis and need full control underwater this won´t help you. The camera stays a bit loose inside the case, so you end up with vigneting when it moves. Also you have low visibility of what you´re shooting (most underwater shots were literaly point and shoot). It´s impossible to set the settings so all photos were iso 100 and auto everything else.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
#4 and #9 are my favorites - great work!

I'd like to see the horizon level on #4 - I think that could be a very special image at full size.

Rawfa

Thanks, guys. I have to say that when I was taking the photos I was a bit afraid because visibility was not perfect through the underwater case. I´m happy the pictures came out nice.
9th is also one of my favorites :)

Rawfa

Here are some not as nice that were cut from my first selection

aeaemd

Hi all,

Does anybody know of a good remote release to use with NEX7. Does any remote timer work with it, if u needed to do star trails?

Amr

Rawfa

I will try to post some videos shot with the NEX7 this weekend too. I really like the quality.

mazor

wow, rawfa, really impressive shooting with the nex7 and 16mm pancake. It is like a perfect marriage of lens and body combo.

Love your in water and under water type shooting. I am thinking of getting an Nokia 808 pureview with underwater housing for this type of application.

Another reason the 16m pancake is good for in water photos, is having auto focus! trying to focus manual in water may be hard eh.

Rawfa

Just in case people are interested in the NEX7s´ video capabilities here are some quick shots I took during this trip (all hand held inside the underwater case). There is even some underwater stuff. Just bare in mind the video is very compressed.

https://vimeo.com/55716266

mazor

wow, nice vid Rawfa, can see why you mention hand held. The 16mm pancake needs some image stabilization. Wonder if Sony will bring out a Nex with IBIS so all lens can have stabilization.

Like how the fish under the coral rocks are quite lethargic, and are not scared at all.

The last time I did underwater type photography with coral was with my LX3 inside a marine bag. What I liked about the video from the LX3 at 720p was it had amazing low light performance for it's time plus having a CCD sensor the jello effect is non existent in my opinion. Results were pretty similar

Rawfa

Maybe the NEX9 will grace us with IBIS and a big fat full frame sensor...one can only hope ;)