Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FF NEX

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: FF NEX

Quote Originally Posted by Nettar View Post
    Douglas, I appreciate your viewpoint, and I don't deny that there are uncertainties. I think you and I tend to draw our compromises somewhat differently, and so we reach different conclusions from the same evidence. I do see your point, but I interpret the signs a little differently.

For example, Sony has learned, from their NEX experience, that their own compact lenses (e.g. the 16mm, but also other lenses -- see photozone's reviews) perform much better if their sensors handle acute light rays in a more friendly fashion. Therefore, to keep their own (hypothetical, I guess) FF NEX lenses within reasonable dimensions, and to optimise those lenses' performance, Sony is motivated to uses sensors of the type that I would like -- even if my interests are as far as possible from their mind. Also, there do seem to have been some NEX models in the past that were marketed with people like me at least partly in mind. Therefore it does not seem that I; or rather, the community of people like me; are completely off their radar. Let me mention too that the VG-900 and RX-1 use sensors that were not designed for compact lenses, which Sony surely would have in mind for any FF NEX.

You can see, I think, that from much the same evidence, I draw an optimistic conclusion, while yours is more pessimistic -- and yet both are argued cogently, I believe.

It's certainly an interesting time to be a photographer, and to attempt to predict the next advances in technology! Nettar
    The reasonable performance of the Sony 16mp sensor with more symmetrical wides (and I say reasonable because the GXR M module is still much better in this regard) is likely dumb luck through choice of sensor toppings more than anything else, considering the flagship Nex-7 arrived after the Nex-C3, and the Nex-7 doesn't perform as well in the corners. The VG-900 was also not a good sign, and now even the Rx-1 has small issues.

It really seems like Sony isn't that concerned about the corner performance. In fact, I've been told that even the A900 doesn't perform quite as we'll in the corners as the D3X, due to sensor topping decisions.

As an owner of 3 SLRs and 3 NEX cameras from Sony, that's my concern about it.
    Last edited by douglasf13; 27th December 2012 at 08:18.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Utah View Post
    In fact, after thinking about it for a long, long time I think the best solution for me at this point, and looking a Sony's now nebulous future is to pick up a NEX-7 along the new 10-18mm F/4 e-mount lens as a compliment to my A900 (I also own a NEX-5 as well). The NEX-7 would serve as a replacement for my aging A200. This just opens up so many more options for me esp when traveling and or hiking. I love my A900 and Zeiss glass, but sometimes it's too heavy to carry long distances.
    Thanks to Santa (in this case, my wife), my future is now!

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic....
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My concern like many people who have bought into Sony is long term commitment to lenses. I was an early adopter to the NEX system with the understanding of the limited lenses but got around it by adapting M lenses. My M lenses became my NEX lenses after missing too many shots due to inaccurate autofocus so it's a backup body for my M9 when I need a little extra reach. I also bought into the Alpha system that has very high quality lenses but more bodies than lenses. The lack of commitment makes me doubt Sony but I welcome capable M alternatives.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Back in august David Kilpatrick from photoclubalpha wrote an interesting artice about wether the Nex system should (or could) go full frame. The article is certainly not new, sorry if you have seen it already, but I believe it is relevatnt to the issue discussed here, and certainly interesing read. You can find it here: Will there be a full-frame NEX? | Photoclubalpha .

Good light!!
    Sony Nex7, Sigmarit DN 30/2.8 & DN 19/2.8, a couple Rokkors...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nagas View Post
    Back in august David Kilpatrick from photoclubalpha wrote an interesting artice about wether the Nex system should (or could) go full frame. The article is certainly not new, sorry if you have seen it already, but I believe it is relevatnt to the issue discussed here, and certainly interesing read. You can find it here: Will there be a full-frame NEX? | Photoclubalpha .

Good light!!
    Yeah, that isn't really saying much, now that we already have a FF NEX camera, the VG-900, so it is obviously possible to put a FF sensor in e-mount. The question is, how big will the native lenses be? Also, many are interested to know whether it will work well with M mount wide angles (which I wouldn't expect.)

Post Thanks / Like

Excuse my ignorance, as I said I am no expert in this matter and have no experience with a digital Leica (I did own an M7 once..). What makes the Leica sensor work ok with their wide angles lenses? I understand that the flange distance is nearly 10mm more with the M mount with regard to the E mount. Would that have anything to do? Thanks.

Good Light!!
    Sony Nex7, Sigmarit DN 30/2.8 & DN 19/2.8, a couple Rokkors...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nagas View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, as I said I am no expert in this matter and have no experience with a digital Leica (I did own an M7 once..). What makes the Leica sensor work ok with their wide angles lenses? I understand that the flange distance is nearly 10mm more with the M mount with regard to the E mount. Would that have anything to do? Thanks.

Good Light!!
    No AA filter to cause extra astigmatism, an IR filter that works a little better with non-telecentric light rays (albeit of pretty low quality,) tuned micro lenses, and a whole bunch of lens specific firmware tweaks.

These are all things that Sony is capable of doing. I'm just not sure they're motivated to. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    These are all things that Sony is capable of doing. I'm just not sure they're motivated to. I certainly hope I'm wrong.
    ...and there is the root of the problem. Sony makes amazing sensors but they seem to only be a test bed for future technologies. I can appreciate the R&D and cutting edge steps they take but truly committing and supporting a camera system to maturity is what remains to be seen. If they go FF it's imperative that the system is A or E mount based. A third mount would be a huge mistake.

Look at the backlash Leica is still taking for dropping the R system for the S. Overall it's turning out to be a good move for them to move up market but I'm sure many R shooters aren't convinced yet the M (Type 240) is the "R solution" they wanted.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    ...and there is the root of the problem. Sony makes amazing sensors but they seem to only be a test bed for future technologies. I can appreciate the R&D and cutting edge steps they take but truly committing and supporting a camera system to maturity is what remains to be seen. If they go FF it's imperative that the system is A or E mount based. A third mount would be a huge mistake.

Look at the backlash Leica is still taking for dropping the R system for the S. Overall it's turning out to be a good move for them to move up market but I'm sure many R shooters aren't convinced yet the M (Type 240) is the "R solution" they wanted.
    The big difference between Sony e-mount and Leica R in this regard is that R lenses are still mechanical. Moving forward, Sony can make as many different all-electronic mounts as they wish, because it would just require simple adapters with electronic contacts to pass full functionality from one mount to another. It wouldn't really be a big deal.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It may be that Samsung will beat Sony with their FF mirrorless cam justy like they did with their NX.

Surprise: Samsung may come out with a FF mirrorless before Sony! | sonyalpharumors

I hope there will be a few improvements on the FF Samsung compared to their NX. I also hope they change the camera registry to ~20mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It may be that Samsung will beat Sony with their FF mirrorless cam justy like they did with their NX.
    Personally, I could care less what samsung does. Let's be 100% honest here. The FF mirrorless concept isn't about a native system. It's about adapting 3rd party legacy lenses. So far, no system give you better options for that than the NEX line of cameras. This should hold true if we get a FF nex....
    SONY A900

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whether I care or not is no big deal but anything to do with Samsung, Sony care deeply since they got beat resoundingly on many fronts by Samsung.

So, it is my expectation that it will give additional impetus for a FF NEX.

We are now in a flux. Once decent compact systems develop, apart from the adaptation curiosities, the better ones will prevail.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not keen on FF anymore.

APS-C is the new FF

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I'm not keen on FF anymore.

APS-C is the new FF
    I understand that.

There has been a rumor of a NEX-7m. I am curious if that would use a new type of sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Sony...got beat resoundingly on many fronts by Samsung.
    Except for camera sales, which is the only thing that really counts....
    SONY A900

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used to think that way about TVs only 2 years ago.

I know from my brief experience with the NX10, how things were with Samsung cameras a few years ago. They have enormous cash (and they do invest in R&D) and the appetite. So, I will not underestimate them at all.