Site Sponsors

Thread: Help selecting remote shutter release

wbhstlouis

Help selecting remote shutter release

I am looking for a remote shutter release for an A55 and a NEX-5n. My main criteria: must be wireless, must release shutter from behind camera position, hopefully same unit will work with both cameras, I don‘t need fancy features - just shutter release, medium range is all I require, physically be as small as practical, and cost effective - as inexpensive as possible for quality and performance.

Any advice, suggestions, or actual experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help selecting remote shutter release

Quote Originally Posted by wbhstlouis View Post
    I am looking for a remote shutter release for an A55 and a NEX-5n. My main criteria: must be wireless, must release shutter from behind camera position, hopefully same unit will work with both cameras, I don‘t need fancy features - just shutter release, medium range is all I require, physically be as small as practical, and cost effective - as inexpensive as possible for quality and performance.

Thanks in advance - Bill
    The Cactus V5 remote flash triggers offer interface compatibility and shutter release triggering for Sony SLT-A55.

Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Duo - Gadget Infinity

Cactus V5 Shutter Cable for Sony Alpha and Konica Minolta - Gadget Infinity

I don't know of any that connect to NEX models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill is this what you're looking for? I have one and it works perfectly with the Nex-5n and 6

Oops! forgot the URL but I see Hot has added it - that's the one
    Last edited by Shac; 17th December 2012 at 16:53.

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

yes wireless IR remote will work for both A series and nex. I do know the nex 5n only has infrared receiver in front, so more than likely this solution will not necessarily work for rear remote firing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have this one, which looks identical to the ebay product mentioned above.

It triggers my Nex 7 from behind, but only from the side or front of the A77.

John

wbhstlouis

Thanks for the responses/suggestions. I have physical issues which make hand held shooting more difficult for me than most. With the a55 in camera IS I can make due with focal lengths up to about 50mm. With the NEX 5n not so much. Hence my interest in tripod mounted remote shutter release.

At first glance Sony offered two units: the RM-L1AM Remote Commander (~$70) which is a standard electronic cable release and the RMT-DSLR Wireless Remote Commander (~$30). I didn’t consider the RM-L1AM because it wasn’t wireless and I thought over priced. I actually bought the RMT-DSLR but the copy I received didn’t work so I returned it for refund. It appears that the RMT-DSLR was based on an IR signal. The IR receiver is in the front hand grip of both the a55 and 5n. My concern is whether this will work from behind the camera or if the unit must have a line of sight to the front of the camera - kind of like your TV remote.

I did a cursory check on Google and what I am looking for seems to fall under either IR based or radio wave based. The IR units come from various makers with small ones for under $10. My thanks to Shac, Hot, and JohnW for the links; for that price why not. The radio wave units consist of a transmitter and a receiver mounted on or near the camera with a camera model specific cable from the receiver to the camera. This would work for the a55 but I don’t know about the 5n - where do you mount the receiver? Theses units come in various quality and signal strengths for somewhere between $40 and $100. The Catus unit Godfrey suggested is this type. My thanks to Godfrey, I had not seen this one and it looks pretty good.

I had hoped that forum members had used various models and could offer first hand reports. I will probably go with a small inexpensive IR unit first and then eventually get a radio wave unit.

Attached are some test shots with various lenses on the 5n - on a tripod but with manual shutter release. Doll - 180 apo-Telyt, Buddha - 90 Contax G, and the other two - Leica R 100/4 on bellows.

Thanks again guys.

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fotodiox makes a release called the WonderBurst and they have a version for the 5N specifically.

Fotodiox WonderBurst for NEX
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do not go near fotodiox. Spammers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

AS I said - I have one of the dirt cheap IR remotes and so far it's worked very very well. As you say, for the price you can't go wrong.

macsoft

Quote Originally Posted by wbhstlouis View Post

Thanks in advance - Bill
    Hi,
    Here is a little review I've made on the redNEX, a remote that can trigger VIDEO on the NEX cameras.
    the product page is this one: redNEX - Video & Photo Remote Control for your NEX camera

My review is on youtube here:
    video remote control on SONY NEX 5 and a NEX 7 - YouTube