Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS Alpha E-mount Prime Lens

Post Thanks / Like

Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS Alpha E-mount Prime Lens

Has anyone received the new Sony 35mm f/1.8 for their NEX?

I'm interested in your evaluation of it, and in particular, has anyone compared it to the very sharp (& cheap) Sigma 30mm f/2.8? I prefer the 30mm focal lenth for the NEX, but the idea of a fast "standard" lens with OSS is compelling...if it's really sharp as well!

Thanks, Alan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS Alpha E-mount Prime Lens

Alan, Sorry, I can not add any experience with it. It has been available here. I will not buy one as I think it is 200 Euros more than what I am willing to pay for it (retails for 429 Euros). I can only see youtube "reviews" (more like adverts, IMO) from folks known and unknown promoting it. They do not have to buy it with real money.

The Sigma 30/2.8, IME, is a great lens. I also use a 1930's Leitz Elmar 3.5cm f/3.5 lens on my NEX-6. I have custom adapted a fabulous 32/4 S-Planar for my NEX-7. The Manual focus lenses are tiny and lightweight and do a better job for me than the AF ones made for the E-mount. When AF is required, the Sigma 30/2.8 does a great job. I have not used the 30/3.5 "macro" lens from SOny in a long while. IMHO, Sony should quit making lenses. If they feel compelled to, they should sell it for what they are really worth.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a little bit harsh, but true nonetheless....The problem is that the Sigmarit (which I own and like quite a bit) is a pretty slow lens at "only" f/2.8. Poorly lit interiors are a NO-NO with it. The Sony 35 has OSS besides being f/1.8, which is why I might have to end up getting one... ALL Sony products (besides its bodies maybe) are completely overpriced, nothing new with that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not harsh but very subdued.

The Sigma DN 30/2.8 is worth more than any of the Sony primes (OSS or not) at any price, IME.

Very few are going to use f/1.8 at low light (focus hunts like crazy). I have tried many low light snaps with the Sony 50/1.8 (OSS). It has severe limitations. While the Zony 24/1.8 is better than that, even though it has no OSS.

BTW, I am still waiting for a FW upgrade of the 50/1.8 OSS to make use of the NEX-6's (presumably improved AF) capabilities.

Post Thanks / Like

The "Zony" 24 is not a lens I am interested in, because of the lack of OSS you mention, and because I am not precisely in love with the way it draws (I borrowed one from a friend a couple days and was not impressed with it). Its a good lens, mind me, but I feel its overpriced and is not my cup of tea... The Sigma is awesome, I love it, but I feel limited often by its max. aperture, so Im afraid the only autofocus alternative is the Sony 35. I do have some legacy lenses for when I want to play with manual-focus, but I feel like I need autofocus in certain circumstances..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By all means buy it and have fun with it.

Hopefully, you can share some amazing pictures with us as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I still need to see sample pictures (or even borrow one) before I pull the trigger. My days of impulsive purchases are over (getting older does have a couple benefits).

In the meantime, Im enjoying my beautiful Sigmarit... (only autofocus lens I own).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple of promotional videos (both recommend it for street photography):

Sony 35mm f1.8 OSS Lens Review - YouTube

FIRST HANDS ON: The Sony NEX-6 + New E-mount Lenses - YouTube

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious how the Sony 35mm with OSS will compare to the Zeiss 32mm that is coming out next year.

Post Thanks / Like

I was very tempted by Sigma 19mm and 30mm primes but at the first second of seeing Sony, I could not resist and bought one. This lens, together with the new 10-18 swept away my fears of using Nex system.

Post Thanks / Like

Great lens after a few time.... and even becomes my standard lens on Nex6...with a close up adapter, it is a great macro lens