Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Contax to E-mount AF adapter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Contax to E-mount AF adapter!

working pretty well with 21mm, 35mm, 45mm, & 90mm on a 5n.
    But loud it is in an old fashion sense. My daughter asked if I now have an old camera.
    Manual focus is very nice!
    Last edited by John Inglis; 4th June 2013 at 05:41.

Post Thanks / Like

John:

How would you rate the ease of attachment of the lens and adapter? That was always a point of contenetion with the metabones adapter. Also, does the manual focus have enough fine control for adjustment at increased magnification? Will it pass the pixel peeping test? After all the sharpness of the 45mm is one of the big attractions of the Contax G lens!

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the Kipon so much more than the Metabones for ease of use at attaching a lens on and taking it off the camera. The AF adapter is more like the Kipon in that you just place it on and turn the Contax G lens until it clicks on. To remove one needs to move the release tab and then twist the lens shaft in the opposite direction. I think the manual focus control does an excellent job shifting the focus at a fixed pace with out jumps and starts. For me it is quicker and sometimes that helps family relations! Even indoors on the 28mm it is working well, even though there are reports of difficulties with the 28mm. I am looking forward to using it in museums where it will help be to copy art works more quickly. So far it seems to do a very good job in okay or well lite rooms and I can then concentrate on composition and getting a straight on shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Inglis View Post
    I like the Kipon so much more than the Metabones for ease of use at attaching a lens on and taking it off the camera. The AF adapter is more like the Kipon in that you just place it on and turn the Contax G lens until it clicks on. To remove one needs to move the release tab and then twist the lens shaft in the opposite direction. I think the manual focus control does an excellent job shifting the focus at a fixed pace with out jumps and starts. For me it is quicker and sometimes that helps family relations! Even indoors on the 28mm it is working well, even though there are reports of difficulties with the 28mm. I am looking forward to using it in museums where it will help be to copy art works more quickly. So far it seems to do a very good job in okay or well lite rooms and I can then concentrate on composition and getting a straight on shot.
    John:

I've heard enough good things lately that I think I'll order one when they're available later this month.

Regards,
    John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I just received the new version 2 "Eagle" DEO AF adapter. I haven't used it too much yet, but preliminary trials with a 28mm Biogon and 90mm Sonnar were impressive. AF accuracy was excellent at apertures of f/2.8 to f/5.6. Focusing speed is on the slow side, but useable for my needs. In dim light there is a fair bit of hunting for sharp focus when stopped down to f/8. In normal AF operating mode a half press on the shutter will lock focus and then one can use the little focus wheel on top of the adapter for MF fine tuning if desired (peaking is automatic and magnification can be engaged as usual) the wheel only needs very light pressure and it is very smooth because it is still operated by the motor. Very easy to switch back and forth from AF to MF. Nice to finally have a digital AF Contax G system, even though it is on a NEX body.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I just received the new version 2 "Eagle" DEO AF adapter. I haven't used it too much yet, but preliminary trials with a 28mm Biogon and 90mm Sonnar were impressive. AF accuracy was excellent at apertures of f/2.8 to f/5.6. Focusing speed is on the slow side, but useable for my needs. In dim light there is a fair bit of hunting for sharp focus when stopped down to f/8. In normal AF operating mode a half press on the shutter will lock focus and then one can use the little focus wheel on top of the adapter for MF fine tuning if desired (peaking is automatic and magnification can be engaged as usual) the wheel only needs very light pressure and it is very smooth because it is still operated by the motor. Very easy to switch back and forth from AF to MF. Nice to finally have a digital AF Contax G system, even though it is on a NEX body.
    Carl:
    Mine just got delivered Monday. But I've been fumbling around without any set up or procedure info. Where is the best info for using this thing? There was nothing in the box.
    Regards,
    John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    Carl:
    Mine just got delivered Monday. But I've been fumbling around without any set up or procedure info. Where is the best info for using this thing? There was nothing in the box.
    Regards,
    John
    John,

There was a copy of these instructions in the box with my adapter. The instructions are confusing, but there are some good tips in this DPR thread by blue_skies. I think that I had to first set the aperture to 57 on camera, take a shot, an then set the aperture to widest available (2.8 for the biogon) and leave it there. If the camera is initially locked in MF mode then set camera to F 25, take a shot to switch it back to AF mode, and then back to wide open.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

John,

There was a copy of these instructions in the box with my adapter. The instructions are confusing, but there are some good tips in this DPR thread by blue_skies. I think that I had to first set the aperture to 57 on camera, take a shot, an then set the aperture to widest available (2.8 for the biogon) and leave it there. If the camera is initially locked in MF mode then set camera to F 25, take a shot to switch it back to AF mode, and then back to wide open.
    Thanks Carl, I bought mine on ebay and the seller didn't bother to send the instructions along. I'll check out the thread too.

Regards,
    John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I need to temper my initial enthusiasm for this adapter a bit. Today I took it out walking with the NEX 6 and Contax G 28 Biogon attached. AF was very difficult at f/5.6 and wouldn't focus at all at f/8. Seems to be an "f/4 and be there" adapter. Here are a couple of sample shots at f/4.

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just received my replacement adapter (bent pin on first copy). Two floral shots using the Contax G 45 planar with the new AF adapter.

Last edited by scho; 15th September 2013 at 17:59.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The Techart adapter is still holding up OK. Two more with the 45 Planar.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE

QUOTE]

Carl:

I've been playing around with that combination (adapter and lens) too. Of course it's a great lens but I'm still getting used to the adapter. By the way, I've been enjoying the samples you've been posting. Very nice.

Regards,
    John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    [QUOTE

QUOTE]

Carl:

I've been playing around with that combination (adapter and lens) too. Of course it's a great lens but I'm still getting used to the adapter. By the way, I've been enjoying the samples you've been posting. Very nice.

Regards,
    John
    Thanks John. I still have occasional problems with stopped down (past 5.6) AF, but in general it has been working fine. Here are a few more from a recent trip to California.

Some shots taken with the 45 planar through the window of a 757 at 37000 ft.

and one iconic shot of Yosemite valley, a 3 shot stitch with the 45 planar. This was as far as we could go into the park before running into a manned roadblock on the road into the valley.

Last edited by scho; 10th October 2013 at 08:16.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=scho;541402]Thanks John. I still have occasional problems with stopped down (past 5.6) AF, but in general it has been working fine. Here are a few more from a recent trip to California.
    QUOTE]

Hey Carl:

That stitch of Yosemite really looks good and sharp. Did you use magnified view to get the focus? Was this on a tripod.

Regards,
    John

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jfirneno;541448]
    Thanks John. I still have occasional problems with stopped down (past 5.6) AF, but in general it has been working fine. Here are a few more from a recent trip to California.
    QUOTE]

Hey Carl:

That stitch of Yosemite really looks good and sharp. Did you use magnified view to get the focus? Was this on a tripod.

Regards,
    John
    Hi John,

No tripod, just 3 quick handheld AF shots w/o magnification in portrait orientation. Shot at f/4 so shutter speed was high in bright sun.

Regards,
    Carl
    Carl
    Gallery