The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax to E-mount AF adapter!

monza

Who is game? Too many unanswered questions at this point for me. Hopefully they've seeded some competent testers/reviewers.

jfirneno

Who is game? Too many unanswered questions at this point for me. Hopefully they've seeded some competent testers/reviewers.
Yeah, even though I'm intrigued, I don't think I'll spring for it until I hear whether the attachment and manual focusing situation is better than my metabones adapter. Come to think of it, what I'd really like is a manual focus adapter that is easier to attach and I could probably skip the autofocus.

Jim DE

Monza the way I am reading the introductory price web page it manual focus will only be activated on the final product not these first 60 offered for $60 less. That alone keeps my wallet from coming out of my pocket on this product at this time. AF alone is senseless to me and my needs whether proved out or not.

llumiombres

Monza the way I am reading the introductory price web page it manual focus will only be activated on the final product not these first 60 offered for $60 less. That alone keeps my wallet from coming out of my pocket on this product at this time. AF alone is senseless to me and my needs whether proved out or not.
I don't know where do you get this from. We're getting the final product. It's not shipping until the last week of March.

I've ordered it, so we'll see how it goes, but it seems to me that making such statements with no basis is making no one a service.

Jim DE

It is the way it reads to me whether you like it or not. I see nothing in the ad that states these first 60 are finalized production units. Just the fact that they make that distinction on the bottom of the ad in reference to the manual focus functionality leaves doubt in my mind.

For your sake I hope I am reading this wrong and you are right as translations often do not tell the whole story.

If it plainly stated that these 60 units were finalized units with full manual focus overrides I would pre order right now. It does not say that anywhere and the fact they make a qualifying statement about the manual focus will be activated on the final units leaves doubts in my mind so I will not sign up for one yet.

Show me where it states these 60 units will definitely have manual focus capabilities in their pre order ad! Fact is the top of the page is titled "Beta Version" and the bottom states Manual focus enabled (final version only) So are you pre ordering a Beta Version and paying $60 less to be a tester for them or are you buying a discounted "final version" (why would they discount a new product they know there is a demand for). My money stays in my pocket till there is more defined language as to what is being offered in pre-order.

Last edited:

llumiombres

It is the way it reads to me whether you like it or not. I see nothing in the ad that states these first 60 are finalized production units. Just the fact that they make that distinction on the bottom of the ad in reference to the manual focus functionality leaves doubt in my mind.

For your sake I hope I am reading this wrong and you are right as translations often do not tell the whole story.

If it plainly stated that these 60 units were finalized units with full manual focus overrides I would pre order right now. It does not say that anywhere and the fact they make a qualifying statement about the manual focus will be activated on the final units leaves doubts in my mind so I will not sign up for one yet.

Show me where it states these 60 units will definitely have manual focus capabilities in their pre order ad! Fact is the top of the page is titled "Beta Version" and the bottom states Manual focus enabled (final version only) So are you pre ordering a Beta Version and paying $60 less to be a tester for them or are you buying a discounted "final version" (why would they discount a new product they know there is a demand for). My money stays in my pocket till there is more defined language as to what is being offered in pre-order.
That's what you can read on the Chinese thread linked above:

DingD Posted 2013-3-5 01:28
The book is the final version, right?
Do not mind waiting.

I asked next mxcamera, and he said the scheduled final version.

Based on the above information, the ring of the old beams should be 2-3 weeks on the production line.

So, there, it's the final version, not a beta. It would not make any sense whatsoever to sell a beta version, me thinks.

Jim DE

I am glad for you and feel it was wise to directly contact them on this and will be looking forward to your report on it.

I have no idea who this is or what the post's answer was:
"DingD Posted 2013-3-5 01:28
Do not mind waiting." .........Anyone can post anything on the web....

Being a old Sony user I feel I have paid plenty over the years for so called final production units that essentially felt like I was a beta tester for them ( like my a33 or a77 or even my Nex5 for that matter) :(
What makes less sense to me than selling a beta model it discounting a in demand first production run to their customers unless they needed the cash flow. But, that is their business........

Anyway best of luck with it and let us know how it works.

Last edited:

llumiombres

I am glad for you and feel it was wise to directly contact them on this and will be looking forward to your report on it.

I have no idea who this is or what the post's answer was:
"DingD Posted 2013-3-5 01:28
Do not mind waiting." .........Anyone can post anything on the web....

Being a old Sony user I feel I have paid plenty over the years for so called final production units that essentially felt like I was a beta tester for them ( like my a33 or a77 or even my Nex5 for that matter) :(
What makes less sense to me than selling a beta model it discounting a in demand first production run to their customers unless they needed the cash flow. But, that is their business........

Anyway best of luck with it and let us know how it works.
You're so right. So I asked the manufacturer. Straight from the horse's mouth:

Hi, thank you so much so your order and the sure that the final version have MF override. The Beta version is for promotion and test, not for sale. The one you ordered is final version. Thank you so much.

I guess this clears it all, doesn't it?

Jim DE

Yup!

Hope you 60 all report how well it works.... But if the beta versions did not have a functional manual focus override and these production units do aren't these units essentially beta units to prove out the override system being as no other version had it? Just thinking out loud.....

All a moot point now I guess anyway ..... Can't order one now even if I wanted to.

llumiombres

Yup!

Hope you 60 all report how well it works.... But if the beta versions did not have a functional manual focus override and these production units do aren't these units essentially beta units to prove out the override system being as no other version had it? Just thinking out loud.....

All a moot point now I guess anyway ..... Can't order one now even if I wanted to.
You're right again, we'll be beta testing the manual override. I hope that it works, but it's a bit mad to sell a final version which has a new funtion over the beta version. Let's hope it's a simple mechanism that can't be screwed up…

And, in the end, maybe for 60$ it would have been actually wiser to wait… I've always been too impulsive. We'll see and report. Thanks for the discussion.

A chart now appears on the website that indicates the speed of the focusing with the adapter, which changes according to the aperture of the lens. The condition of the lens focusing mechanics also plays a role,
"Addition information (updated on 7/3/2013)
Test Camera: NEX 5, 5N, 7, 6, VG 900 (photo mode)
The focus speed depend on your lens condition, following information for reference only."

DEO TECH CONTAX G to SONY NEX AF Adapter, DEO-TECH

Looks like these will begin shipping on or around April 20th,
http://www.deo-tech.com

We originally plan to issue the products by this week. However, there should be some delay at this stage, since there are too many purchase orders which from various countries, distributors and the manufacturing process is time-consuming. We estimate that the products can be issued on the date of April 20th. Once again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that caused to all of you and your understanding is greatly appreciated. Should you have any enquiries, please feel free to contact us at [email protected] or [email protected] .

Last edited:
According to an email from Deo-tech, a batch af adapters ships tomorrow

"Hi, thank you so much and support, your order will ship tomorrow.
Thank you so much and hope you like it.
Your order has been updated to the following status.
New status: Pending"

Two bad that manual focus is a small wheel. This will be a turn off for many,

Last edited:

Jim DE

True... but not as bad as having no manual focus at all. If the autofocus works flawlessly then I personally would only manual focus on rare occasions as I did with my Contax G2 with these lenses. Ever see the wheel Contax gave us to manual focus with on the G2?

My big turn off will be if it has focus inaccuracy and the early test video make it sound excessively noisy in operation. The noise would become annoying in many situations.I am still on the fence till I seem some user feedback.

Good to hear! According to DEO-Tech The second batch is now available online:

"DEO TECH CONTAX G to SONY NEX AF Adapter
Thank you so much for your support! First batch is all sold!
Next Stock will be avaiable on 4th week of May!
You can order now!"

jfirneno

OK, so I'm probably jumping the gun, but does anyone on this thread already have one of these adapters in hand? I'd love to know if it attaches easier than the Metabones. That's always a pain to get attached correctly. Also is the manual focus wheel good enough for high magnification fine-tuning?

Regards,
John