Contax to E-mount AF adapter!

This video seems to show a working Contax G to NEX, AF capable adapter

First video of the Contax to E-mount AF adapter! | sonyalpharumors

Very interesting.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contax to E-mount AF adapter!

Sit and watch the (already steep) prices of the G lenses skyrocket..

Good light!!
    Sony Nex7, Sigmarit DN 30/2.8 & DN 19/2.8, a couple Rokkors...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a great development.

I am pretty sure that because of NEX use possibility, the lens price will not go up. They are not all that great on the NEX (may be barring the 90mm). The wides are no match for the Sigma offerings in terms of price and results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It is a great development.

I am pretty sure that because of NEX use possibility, the lens price will not go up. They are not all that great on the NEX (may be barring the 90mm). The wides are no match for the Sigma offerings in terms of price and results.
    The G 45mm is also very, very good on NEX. The 35, while not as sharp as the Sigma, is still a stop faster, and it has a nice rendering. Granted, the new Sony 35/1.8 and upcoming Zeiss 32/1.8 will probably make the G 35 less popular on NEX.

Either way, cool adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the G45, used it with the Nex7 and found it stellar. One of the best lenses I've owned. I just hated the adapters available (had a few, including the Metabones with the wide ring) and the focusing experience was quite rough. I ended up selling it. Do miss it sometimes...

Remember how much the G lenses went for just acouple years ago? Our mirrorless-mania has driven the prices of legacy lenses up considerably in the last few years. The fact hat you can now auto-focus with this lenses will only make them more desirable, IMHO.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, I just sold 3 G lenses last month for an ok price, although I did notice that their price has come down from its peak from a year ago.

I think the G45 was fabulous on the NEX-7, too. That and the 30 Sigmarit are as sharp as it gets on Nex.

p.s. glad to see my "Sigmarit" term sticking around.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post

p.s. glad to see my "Sigmarit" term sticking around.
    LOL. it's everywhere now...

Good Light!!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one of these Techart EF to NEX adapters. It works although the AF is slow. I'm thinking a lot of that is the Sony AF rather than the adapter itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just picked up three black G lenses - 28, 45, 90 - to use on my X-Pro and in anticipation of the AF adapter on NEX (still have the trusty 5N sitting in the camera drawer). I'm not overly optimistic that the AF speed will be anything but "nearly adequate" but I like the fact that someone is doing this and with the hybrid phase/contrast systems coming out now, AF may eventually be quicker than the original G system.

Would love to see them do this adapter on the Fuji as well.

Post Thanks / Like

My only concern is if it will have the ability to manual focus as well. So far from what I see in the videos I don't see a focus ring or wheel turning during the autofocus function. I don't know if I would be willing to sacrifice the ability to manual focus for a full autofocus only adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jim. Plus the fact that, with such sharp lenses on a NEX7, almost-perfect focus doesn't cut it IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Preorder info and video
    Contax G lens to Sony NEX AF adapter Pre-order Promotion - YouTube

And very interesting discussions and examples from Chinese site,

Google Translate 1

from [CONTAX G-- NEX AF 1

For some reason, am not getting this google translation of the link at bottom to work Google Translate 2

from CONTAX G-NEX AF 2

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty cool, but:

1. how much
    2. is there a manual focus override, and how does the override work ergonomically
    3. how fast (slow) is it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And what about these scratches on a nex from a Contax G 28mm attached via this new adapter?

Has anyone had a similar result with another adapter?

Found on the following page
    Google Translate

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Can't seem to bring up those sites

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm, they are working for me, except for the second Google Translate in post 12.
    At the link below are some videos of the adapter's speed at week 7 of development (I guess). Looks like a second or so for focus time,
    wuji-week7

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a list of observations from using the adapter on a 5N,

Talk about the test on the 5n.
    1,5 n basically like week7 of 5c secondary focus, every time the need to pull the bellows.
    2, G28 focusing speed about 1.8 to 2 seconds, G35 2 ~ 2.1 seconds, G45 2.2 ~ 2.4 seconds, G90 3 seconds.
    3, G45 during the day, sunny F11 previous, F8 go wherever they want, in the case of indoor and cloudy, F5.6 wherever.
    4, G28 during the day sunny, F8 on, indoor and cloudy F5.6 go wherever they want.
    5, G35 Ibid G90 at night under indoor low-light situations F4 success rate of 99%, 99% daytime outdoor F11 success rate basically F8 refers to wherever they want.
    7, during focusing, the lens will external force is applied (by hand and hold), there will be a crash situation, need to shutdown restart. But no one right to do so, and I belong to this destructive test.
    8, can face registration, and face detection.
    9 Ring of contact rebound forces, a 1,2 electric shock length is inconsistent.
    10 In addition to the G21 does not cut *** ring sweaty, all other lens does not cut *** on the ring easily.
    11, the body can automatically identify the maximum aperture of the lens A file test, body aperture required to hit the maximum lens aperture freely adjusted.
    12 M files, fuselage aperture and lens aperture case, correct exposure and and properly recorded Aperture Shutter jiaoduan information, not record lens vendor information.
    13, using multiple focus, composition constant, occasional secondary focus can on a very short stroke adjusted.
    14, using the center focus on small objects, background objects.
    15, it is recommended that can be used freely point focus, focus range is smaller, higher precision.
    16, the power situation can still play day, repeatedly focusing, a battery basic enough, no fear to bring a backup power case.

The above found on the following page,
    CONTAX G-NEX AF mount R & D Review -

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I read that was disappointing was that the beta units being tested did not have manual focus capability. There seemed to be a statement (although the translation wasn't clear) that the commercial unit might include it. This might have been wishful thinking (or perhaps a suggestion to the manufacturer by the beta-tester). If it won't have manual focus capability that would be a real disappointment. That would force me to switch between the metabones adapter (which is a pain to assemble) and this auto-focus adapter multiple times which would be a hassle.

Regards,
    John
    Last edited by jfirneno; 2nd March 2013 at 04:42. Reason: poor paragraph construction

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm skeptical. I applaud the engineering effort, I just am not sure it will be rewarded. It would take a high torque motor and some good battery power to drive those lenses so they are speedy focusers. Not sure this is really possible without seriously upsetting the form factor of the NEX. What about battery life? I'm assuming it doesn't draw power from the camera, but maybe it does, through the lens pinouts. If not, it must have its own supply. Maybe all these have already been addressed but the web page loads so slowly I gave up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure what this adapter will do to the Nex battery. There are so many test updates, whatever happens, it might be better to wait for a second generation.

Two tests have been added with the G 45 lens on the full frame VG 900. So a test in the right direction for a future full frame Nex.

wuji-week7

The text below is from a google translation at the page linked below. Below this discussion on the same page, mention is made of a Contax G 35-70 zoom focusing successfully via the adapter on a Nex camera.

CONTAX G-NEX AF mount R & D Review -

"Afternoon to sony store Ring connection VG900 simple test
    1 Ring connection screwing than my 5c obviously matters a lot, I tried VG900 two are the same
    2 camera focus is entirely possible, the situation and focus 5n similar seems to be not continuous secondary focus, every time the focus should be re-pull the entire time the video has been released I Youku space: wuji-week7
    3 Video shooting position and A bayonet lens plus three generations attached rings similar, no way to continuous focus in video mode, whether shooting or standby, to be used for photo keys or focus button single focus.
    4 in the store at the same time, few people look at vg900 the test of time is very limited, allow me to plug the card test I have more accidents, g45 a lens test site only connection, but I observed: the original friction to the plastic part of the body has become photosensitive element, and step back, it is estimated that g21 is likely to have been not the card, but still did not dare to try, Changsha price 21900 ah."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Preorders are up
    shipping 4th week of March
    DEO TECH CONTAX G to SONY NEX AF Adapter, DEO-TECH

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Who is game? Too many unanswered questions at this point for me. Hopefully they've seeded some competent testers/reviewers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Who is game? Too many unanswered questions at this point for me. Hopefully they've seeded some competent testers/reviewers.
    Yeah, even though I'm intrigued, I don't think I'll spring for it until I hear whether the attachment and manual focusing situation is better than my metabones adapter. Come to think of it, what I'd really like is a manual focus adapter that is easier to attach and I could probably skip the autofocus.

Post Thanks / Like

Monza the way I am reading the introductory price web page it manual focus will only be activated on the final product not these first 60 offered for $60 less. That alone keeps my wallet from coming out of my pocket on this product at this time. AF alone is senseless to me and my needs whether proved out or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Monza the way I am reading the introductory price web page it manual focus will only be activated on the final product not these first 60 offered for $60 less. That alone keeps my wallet from coming out of my pocket on this product at this time. AF alone is senseless to me and my needs whether proved out or not.
    I don't know where do you get this from. We're getting the final product. It's not shipping until the last week of March.

I've ordered it, so we'll see how it goes, but it seems to me that making such statements with no basis is making no one a service.

Post Thanks / Like

It is the way it reads to me whether you like it or not. I see nothing in the ad that states these first 60 are finalized production units. Just the fact that they make that distinction on the bottom of the ad in reference to the manual focus functionality leaves doubt in my mind.

For your sake I hope I am reading this wrong and you are right as translations often do not tell the whole story.

If it plainly stated that these 60 units were finalized units with full manual focus overrides I would pre order right now. It does not say that anywhere and the fact they make a qualifying statement about the manual focus will be activated on the final units leaves doubts in my mind so I will not sign up for one yet.

Show me where it states these 60 units will definitely have manual focus capabilities in their pre order ad! Fact is the top of the page is titled "Beta Version" and the bottom states Manual focus enabled (final version only) So are you pre ordering a Beta Version and paying $60 less to be a tester for them or are you buying a discounted "final version" (why would they discount a new product they know there is a demand for). My money stays in my pocket till there is more defined language as to what is being offered in pre-order.
    Last edited by Jim DE; 4th March 2013 at 21:22.

Post Thanks / Like

It is the way it reads to me whether you like it or not. I see nothing in the ad that states these first 60 are finalized production units. Just the fact that they make that distinction on the bottom of the ad in reference to the manual focus functionality leaves doubt in my mind.

For your sake I hope I am reading this wrong and you are right as translations often do not tell the whole story.

If it plainly stated that these 60 units were finalized units with full manual focus overrides I would pre order right now. It does not say that anywhere and the fact they make a qualifying statement about the manual focus will be activated on the final units leaves doubts in my mind so I will not sign up for one yet.

Show me where it states these 60 units will definitely have manual focus capabilities in their pre order ad! Fact is the top of the page is titled "Beta Version" and the bottom states Manual focus enabled (final version only) So are you pre ordering a Beta Version and paying $60 less to be a tester for them or are you buying a discounted "final version" (why would they discount a new product they know there is a demand for). My money stays in my pocket till there is more defined language as to what is being offered in pre-order.
    That's what you can read on the Chinese thread linked above:

DingD Posted 2013-3-5 01:28
    The book is the final version, right?
    Do not mind waiting.

I asked next mxcamera, and he said the scheduled final version.

Based on the above information, the ring of the old beams should be 2-3 weeks on the production line.

So, there, it's the final version, not a beta. It would not make any sense whatsoever to sell a beta version, me thinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like the 60 adapters are now sold since the site reads,
    "Out of Stock
    DEO TECH CONTAX G to SONY NEX AF Adapter"

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad for you and feel it was wise to directly contact them on this and will be looking forward to your report on it.

I have no idea who this is or what the post's answer was:
    "DingD Posted 2013-3-5 01:28
    Do not mind waiting." .........Anyone can post anything on the web....

Being a old Sony user I feel I have paid plenty over the years for so called final production units that essentially felt like I was a beta tester for them ( like my a33 or a77 or even my Nex5 for that matter)
    What makes less sense to me than selling a beta model it discounting a in demand first production run to their customers unless they needed the cash flow. But, that is their business........

Anyway best of luck with it and let us know how it works.
    Last edited by Jim DE; 5th March 2013 at 08:27.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad for you and feel it was wise to directly contact them on this and will be looking forward to your report on it.

I have no idea who this is or what the post's answer was:
    "DingD Posted 2013-3-5 01:28
    Do not mind waiting." .........Anyone can post anything on the web....

Being a old Sony user I feel I have paid plenty over the years for so called final production units that essentially felt like I was a beta tester for them ( like my a33 or a77 or even my Nex5 for that matter)
    What makes less sense to me than selling a beta model it discounting a in demand first production run to their customers unless they needed the cash flow. But, that is their business........

Anyway best of luck with it and let us know how it works.
    You're so right. So I asked the manufacturer. Straight from the horse's mouth:

Hi, thank you so much so your order and the sure that the final version have MF override. The Beta version is for promotion and test, not for sale. The one you ordered is final version. Thank you so much.

I guess this clears it all, doesn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Yup!

Hope you 60 all report how well it works.... But if the beta versions did not have a functional manual focus override and these production units do aren't these units essentially beta units to prove out the override system being as no other version had it? Just thinking out loud.....

All a moot point now I guess anyway ..... Can't order one now even if I wanted to.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup!

Hope you 60 all report how well it works.... But if the beta versions did not have a functional manual focus override and these production units do aren't these units essentially beta units to prove out the override system being as no other version had it? Just thinking out loud.....

All a moot point now I guess anyway ..... Can't order one now even if I wanted to.
    You're right again, we'll be beta testing the manual override. I hope that it works, but it's a bit mad to sell a final version which has a new funtion over the beta version. Let's hope it's a simple mechanism that can't be screwed up…

And, in the end, maybe for 60$ it would have been actually wiser to wait… I've always been too impulsive. We'll see and report. Thanks for the discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A chart now appears on the website that indicates the speed of the focusing with the adapter, which changes according to the aperture of the lens. The condition of the lens focusing mechanics also plays a role,
    "Addition information (updated on 7/3/2013)
    Test Camera: NEX 5, 5N, 7, 6, VG 900 (photo mode)
    The focus speed depend on your lens condition, following information for reference only."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like these will begin shipping on or around April 20th,
    http://www.deo-tech.com

We originally plan to issue the products by this week. However, there should be some delay at this stage, since there are too many purchase orders which from various countries, distributors and the manufacturing process is time-consuming. We estimate that the products can be issued on the date of April 20th. Once again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that caused to all of you and your understanding is greatly appreciated. Should you have any enquiries, please feel free to contact us at [email protected] or [email protected] .
    Last edited by John Inglis; 27th March 2013 at 06:41. Reason: add link

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

According to an email from Deo-tech, a batch af adapters ships tomorrow

"Hi, thank you so much and support, your order will ship tomorrow.
    Thank you so much and hope you like it.
    Your order has been updated to the following status.
    New status: Pending"

Two bad that manual focus is a small wheel. This will be a turn off for many,

Last edited by John Inglis; 19th April 2013 at 06:09.

Post Thanks / Like

True... but not as bad as having no manual focus at all. If the autofocus works flawlessly then I personally would only manual focus on rare occasions as I did with my Contax G2 with these lenses. Ever see the wheel Contax gave us to manual focus with on the G2?

My big turn off will be if it has focus inaccuracy and the early test video make it sound excessively noisy in operation. The noise would become annoying in many situations.I am still on the fence till I seem some user feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good to hear! According to DEO-Tech The second batch is now available online:

"DEO TECH CONTAX G to SONY NEX AF Adapter
    Thank you so much for your support! First batch is all sold!
    Next Stock will be avaiable on 4th week of May!
    You can order now!"

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so I'm probably jumping the gun, but does anyone on this thread already have one of these adapters in hand? I'd love to know if it attaches easier than the Metabones. That's always a pain to get attached correctly. Also is the manual focus wheel good enough for high magnification fine-tuning?

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A report from the test site indicates that the small wheel is difficult to use with big hands. Will need to wait to see.
    From site below via google translate:
    "Get the Arts beam ring can be made, G28 simple test, cloudy afternoon in Guangzhou, poor light.
    1,2.8 aperture focusing speed is relatively slow (not calculated), focusing loud;
    2,4 aperture can not be 100% focus, more than 8 unable to focus, arts phone beam, confirmation light (cloudy in Guangzhou), small aperture unable to focus in low-light conditions, but fortunately, the manual focus wheel;
    3, manual focus wheel is available, but the wheel is too small, large fingers to maneuver;
    4, no manual, not easy to succeed when the lens is first installed, Fortunately, the clerk guidance, try more than a few job; Arts Taobao on the installation method introduced.
    The following moneyqian supplement 2013-4-22 21:21
    NEX6 + G28 test, ring workmanship is very good, beautifully packaged, very satisfied, thanks to the large beam."

Also one of the individuals in charge mentioned on the same thread that shipping is delayed in order to fine tune the adapter,
    "Mount assembly aspects need to be adjusted, it is not scheduled delivery, delivery date to be determined, if they can not wait for the refund friends go to Taobao apply for a refund. Tim trouble, please forgive me."

CONTAX G-NEX mount autofocus R & D Review - ± | Sony / KM / M SLR / DSLM Forum - color film loudly -

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

another delay and 2nd batch differs

Oh my, more delays, the following from Mxcamera earlier today,
    CONTAX G-NEX mount autofocus R & D Review - ± | Sony / KM / M SLR / DSLM Forum - color film loudly -
    mxcamera
    Pickle
    The Foaming points: 0.075
    Subject: 0
    Register: October 2012

Mainly of the mount structure too review, and a widget produced the after hair have a small problem, in need of urgent adjustment, so delays.
    QC is really done very very strict, especially since the metal part of the processing, correction is not simple.

The next batch of the beam is going to modify the first batch (The booking) is almost all metal parts,
    The next batch will be adding more plastic parts (because the model was a piece of good quality and installation of the workers is relatively easy)
    So I bought the first batch of people, I congratulate you, your batch has been limited version, almost no longer!
    2013-04-25 13:00
    Reference Show author do not look at the return of top personal AutoText 520 posts

Post Thanks / Like

Re: another delay and 2nd batch differs

Quote Originally Posted by John Inglis View Post
    Oh my, more delays, the following from Mxcamera earlier today,
    mxcamera
    Pickle
    The Foaming points: 0.075
    Subject: 0
    Register: October 2012

Mainly of the mount structure too review, and a widget produced the after hair have a small problem, in need of urgent adjustment, so delays.
    QC is really done very very strict, especially since the metal part of the processing, correction is not simple.

The next batch of the beam is going to modify the first batch (The booking) is almost all metal parts,
    The next batch will be adding more plastic parts (because the model was a piece of good quality and installation of the workers is relatively easy)
    So I bought the first batch of people, I congratulate you, your batch has been limited version, almost no longer!
    2013-04-25 13:00
    Reference Show author do not look at the return of top personal AutoText 520 posts
    Okay, I have no idea what is being said. Care to speculate?

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Further comments today indicate that they are working out some issues. They appear to be switching production in the second batch to exchange some plastic for metal parts. This is apparently because they are having a difficult time adapting these metal parts in order to improve performance.
    They apologized today to Farworm's compaint on the same thread:
    Pickle

Re: farworm Post at 2013-4-26 09:37
    Are speculating Oh, there is no accurate news, the waiting time is really boring

Mxcamera's response:
    We understand that, but I'm really sorry!
    As soon as possible!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First batch shipped according to post from company in thread linked above,

kpliang
    Senior kimchi
    The Foaming points: 35.613
    Subjects: 13
    Register: March 2006
    In addition, taking into account the mount processing and the difficulty of installation and efficiency, is considering another version, to increase the proportion of plastic parts, this version will continue to produce, but scheduling will be reduced, prices are likely to be adjusted.
    The first shipment has been issued after the stock being issued every day, thank you for your support and patience, because these mount processing and installation has great difficulties, the daily output will not be much, so the back beat friends have to wait some days.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend here in Virginia just received it today. Hope to hear his feedback later today.

Post Thanks / Like

Link to first first-hand report I've read on a website I am familiar with...

Pretty preliminary. Hope more details soon. Does say it's easier to mount than on the manual adapters. That's a plus.

Re: Contax G AF adapter available for preorder tomorrow: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Post Thanks / Like

In this case my bet is no news is not good news...... I am reading elsewhere on the net that early adopters are far from happy with this device. Poor focusing above f4, slow, noisy, manual focus operates against the focus motor, works best on the 90 poorly on the 35 down.........Sad, because it would of been great if it worked as it was expected to.

This is one time I did well not jumping in before the waters were tested.

Post Thanks / Like

In this case my bet is no news is not good news...... I am reading elsewhere on the net that early adopters are far from happy with this device. Poor focusing above f4, slow, noisy, manual focus operates against the focus motor, works best on the 90 poorly on the 35 down.........Sad, because it would of been great if it worked as it was expected to.

This is one time I did well not jumping in before the waters were tested.
    Jim:

Last couple of days a couple of user reports on DPR didn't sound bad. Part of the problem is the contrast autofocus on the NEX just isn't very responsive with a screw drive lens. What I hope is that the "manual" focus using the motor is sensitive enough to allow very good focusing control. If that isn't there then it won't be worth it to me.

Regards,
    John