Site Sponsors

Thread: Best Tilt Shift lens for A99?

Post Thanks / Like

Best Tilt Shift lens for A99?

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with, comparisons of, or recommendations for tilt/shift lenses suitible for the A99? The rest of my alpha glass is Zeiss, so are there high quality options?

Thanks for any insight,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Tilt Shift lens for A99?

The Samyang 24mm shift lens is supposed to be released in January so I'm waiting to see the reviews before I buy it for my A900

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

AFAIK, only one. The Mirex T/S adapter to use Hassy lenses (mirex.de) and Mamiya lenses, etc.

The shift can only be done perpendicular to the tilt movement. That is a limitation.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnesh View Post
    Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with, comparisons of, or recommendations for tilt/shift lenses suitible for the A99? The rest of my alpha glass is Zeiss, so are there high quality options?

Thanks for any insight,
    Jeff
    I'm thinking of the new Schneider T/S Super-Angulon 50/2.8 in Sony A mount.

Schneider PC TS Super-Angulon 50mm f/2.8 Lens 06-1066459 B&H

There is also a 90/4.5 that could be pretty cool for tilt portraits.

Schneider PC TS Super Angulon 90mm f/4.5 Lens 06-1066462 B&H

Nothing in super-wide that I know of unless a Canon can be adapted or the mount swapped ... since both EOS and Alpha have pretty wide throats and there are no data bus contacts.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

EOS lenses and the new E PC-Nikkors can not be adapted easily (though in principle it is possible but would cost more than the lenses themselves) because of the E in them. Both have electronic apertures and require their system cameras to operate/set the apertures.

If you are really in to T/S work, then Canon or Nikon are the best. Easier to switch the system than looking at unsatisfactory lens availability.

The Schneider lenses that Marc points out are also available in EOS and F mount as well in addition to the corresponding system lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarnia View Post
    The Samyang 24mm shift lens is supposed to be released in January so I'm waiting to see the reviews before I buy it for my A900
    Delayed to March. But interesting nevertheless.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Leitax adaptor coming for my Leica R 28/2.8 SA for my A99. Is only a shift lens but I am really keen to see how it goes. Is really small and loved it on my M9.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    EOS lenses and the new E PC-Nikkors can not be adapted easily (though in principle it is possible but would cost more than the lenses themselves) because of the E in them. Both have electronic apertures and require their system cameras to operate/set the apertures.

If you are really in to T/S work, then Canon or Nikon are the best. Easier to switch the system than looking at unsatisfactory lens availability.

The Schneider lenses that Marc points out are also available in EOS and F mount as well in addition to the corresponding system lenses.
    Yeah, I forgot about the whole "E" thing with so many lenses now. The A mount isn't as numerous as CaNikon ... yet. So the choices are less. But it is getting a lot better than it was.

The OP has never returned, nor detailed what he wants to shoot and how often.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is one of the main reasons I'm selling my Sony gear. It is a great system if it fits your needs, but if it doesn't there isn't much you can do.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still here...taking it all in. I'm looking to improve landscape shooting and possibly using it for small panoramas, and hoping to find a lens either around 40 or 90mm. I've seen a lot of good work both interesting focus planes and panoramas, but mostly on Nikon.

I appreciate all the good suggestions and have poked around a bit based on them. I'm not entirely encouraged by the costs, but so it goes...

Thanks again,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mirex tilt/shift adapter works nice with Mamiya lenses ( some lenses have problem with infinity).

One shot with the adapter and Mamiya 80mm f/1.9. (Camera a-900)
    Aperture on shot 2.8. Angle tilt 6 degrees.

Trygve

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, Schneider lists an A-mount option for the 28mm f/2.8 PC-Super-Angulon:

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...y.aspx?CID=179

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a tilt adapter for pentacon 6, no shift, from arsat with a sony alpha flange attached and a focus confirm chip. I shimmed it to focus to infinity on the A900 I used to own. The adapter is missing the adhesive strip with the tilt degrees on it.

In addition I have the Zeiss 50mm f4 flektogon that fits the adapter.

I'll sell the whole setup for $400. pm me if any interest

Mike
    Last edited by docmaas; 26th January 2013 at 13:26.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Based on my personal experience with the Arsat tilt adapter, i will have to say, it is a toss up. The quality is very poor compared to Nikon or Canon T/S line up or the Mirex T/S adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP:
    Maybe this link will help you find what you're looking for.

Tilt Shift with the a-Mount - Dyxum forums - Page 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Based on my personal experience with the Arsat tilt adapter, i will have to say, it is a toss up. The quality is very poor compared to Nikon or Canon T/S line up or the Mirex T/S adapter.
    I'd have to agree as regards build quality. I have a mirex as well for sale NEX/M43 camera mount with nikon lens mount. I also have a Rokinon 14mm and 21mm Distagon for the mirex. However, the arsat adapter is in one respect much better than the mirex. The rotating adjustment for the tilt is much better than the pure friction of the mirex.

Those were the first two generations. I now have the tse 17mm on the metabones canon adapter. I think I'll stop here.

If Sigma gets their act together and brings out a new slr with live view and magnification I may convert the canon to sigma and ditch the nex.

If metabones comes out with a 1.4x tele adapter and they can improve the current wide angle adapter they might be a good set with the 17mm tse on the nex cameras.

Since I got the DP2M I hardly touch the nex except for telephoto and tilt.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I wrote a blog on using PC28/2.8 SA on my A99. See here. fotoflo | Too many old cameras, not enough time
    David
    Auckland, NZ.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hartblei is back and their lenses are available in Sony mount. I had a 45mm Super Rotator for my D700 and is was very nice. Here is a pic of their 35mm SuperRotator:

and you can find out more about it here.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO