Site Sponsors
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed booster for NEX

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Speed booster for NEX

Rich,
    I have examples with the Contax 100-300 back some pages.
    Some vignetting at 300, but otherwise pretty nice,
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/491185-post295.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Inglis View Post
    Rich,
    I have examples with the Contax 100-300 back some pages.
    Some vignetting at 300, but otherwise pretty nice,
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/491185-post295.html
    John......I had trouble mounting mine on the C/Y adapter. I didn't want to force it. I see yours is on the EF adapter. No problems?

R

Post Thanks / Like

Another shot with the ZF Planar 50/1.4

Must be the teeth by SlingerC, on Flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is absolutely no better combination this (SB+ the current Planar 50/1.4)!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Good to see you everywhere where the fun is, Rich

Does the Contax 21/2.8 not potrude to much into the adapter? I was wondering.

Michiel
    I used the 21 c/y on the EF version of the SB without any issues. I imagine that the C/Y SB has the equivalent spacing in front of the lens to the EF + adapter I had to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    There is absolutely no better combination this (SB+ the current Planar 50/1.4)!
    Why is that Vivek?

Post Thanks / Like

BTW ken, thanks for the link to the forum. There is a lot of good information there on the SB.

Well I have to say that the Tamron macro and I just aren't seeing things eye to eye. I think for whatever reason this focal length does not suit my style of macro photography. Which is incredibly disappointing since I really love the build quality and styling of this lens. And oddly enough one of the wasp photos I posted yesterday actually got Explored on Flickr.

to be regarded warily | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Not being an expert macro shooter, I can say that trying to get 1:1 with extension tubes, handheld is a challenge. The plane of focus is extremely thin and the slightest movement, either wind movement or subtle body shifts, throws it off.
    Very true Rich. I shoot all my macro handheld and 1:1 is definitely a challenge. I have a Minolta MD Macro Rokkor-X 50/3.5 that goes to 1:1 with its tube and I love shooting that lens. (Curse you Metabones! Release a Minolta to NEX adapter!). My keeper rate with the Rokkor is much higher. Again, this has nothing to do with the lens itself which is fantastic and sharp, its more of an issue of being used to a certain mindset when it comes to focal lengths and how I view my subjects. Weird, but there it is.

So with that being said I will post up the last couple of shots from the Tamron before I put it up for sale on my Etsy shop later today. One is a close up on a fence wire and the other was one of those "the one that got away" shots. If the bug had just stayed there for a nano-second longer...

All shots straight out of the camera with no processing. And people are complaining that the SB makes bokeh look bad.

a fence in three parts No.3

a second to late

Before I left the field I was shooting in I mounted up the Biotar again on the SB and gave it a quick whirl. The more standard 58mm felt like coming home.

a fence in three parts No.2

a fence in three parts No.1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not a very good lens but a FL I don't have otherwise in C/Y mount.
    But I think I can use it for some occasions.

Michiel

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent use of reflections.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, heres an odd question. I dont think it has been covered in the thread so far.

Novoflex makes adapters for C/Y mount to use Medium Format lenses, Hassy, Exakta 66, Pentax etc. What happens if I mount a Medium format adapter on the C/Y speedbooster and use one of these lenses?

Would I still get the whole lens image compressed down or would it only crop the center still (since it is larger then a 35mm lens)? Would it let in even more light? Maybe a two stop gain? Anyone have any idea how this would work? I know some medium format lenses have very nice line/mm ratings in the center. Wonder what the possibilities could be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f/otographer View Post
    Ok, heres an odd question. I dont think it has been covered in the thread so far. (...)
    It will always be a 0.71x focal length multiplyer and 1 stop faster.
    I haven't tried this of course but see the situation as the same (or opposite) to common crop factors. The Speed Booster doesn't care what lens is sitting in front of it. It just behaves as designed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, heres an odd question. I dont think it has been covered in the thread so far.

Novoflex makes adapters for C/Y mount to use Medium Format lenses, Hassy, Exakta 66, Pentax etc. What happens if I mount a Medium format adapter on the C/Y speedbooster and use one of these lenses?

Would I still get the whole lens image compressed down or would it only crop the center still (since it is larger then a 35mm lens)? Would it let in even more light? Maybe a two stop gain? Anyone have any idea how this would work? I know some medium format lenses have very nice line/mm ratings in the center. Wonder what the possibilities could be.

One thing you are overlooking (covered quite well in this thread) is requirement of the exit pupil position (also see my sample shots from an UV-Nikkor 105mm). The speed booster also is not the thing to use for macro/close ups.

Yes to what Jonas said.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turbines View Post
    Why is that Vivek?
    Fabulous combo with delicious, smooth bokeh while the sharpness (focused areas) is excellent.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. I might have to dig into this a little further.

The speed booster also is not the thing to use for macro/close ups.
    Why so Vivek?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a Zeiss Biometar 85 for P6, not to big, I was just thinking about to try on the Speedbooster once I pushed the buy button for a P6 to M42 adapter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the replies guys. I might have to dig into this a little further.

Why so Vivek?
    Dig into it. As already mentioned, the exit pupil plays a key part. What K-H reported with his long teles apply to macro lenses as well. Angles covered are pretty much the same.

What I find with dedicated macro lenses (Leitz Summars, Photars, Zeiss Luminars and the Macro Nikkors- these are belllows lenses and not the regular SLR lenses) is that none would work usefully with the SB. Without the SB, they are spectacular.

BTW, do you have a name or just prefer your screen name?

Post Thanks / Like

Havent had much time to dig back thru the post Vivek, work and family et al. I dont really use a 'dedicated' macro lens, esp not a bellows lens. The Tamron was the closest I came to that on the SB. Usually I use a normal lens on tubes or with one or two Minolta close lenses attached. So far I am pretty pleased with the results, my Tamron misadventures not withstanding.

As for my name, I do have one. But f/otographer works for me here. You have probably seen some of my responses on AlphaRumors under another name, since there is a Vivek on that site and I assumed it was you. I post under many names on many different sites.

If we are discussing my preference then I would go with Lord Dark Imperator of the Nether Regions, but thats a bit weighty for discourse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    I have a Zeiss Biometar 85 for P6, not to big, I was just thinking about to try on the Speedbooster once I pushed the buy button for a P6 to M42 adapter.
    Michiel, I would be very interested in seeing your results with this combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Playing with different lens combos.....all uncropped.

21ML

45 Tessar

135 Sonnar

85 Sonnar

50/1.7
    Last edited by Rich M; 23rd April 2013 at 00:27.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing representations Rich. The shoe shot is great and the Sonnar 85 photo is to die for. What bokeh! Is the 50/1.7 the ML or the Zeiss?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Havent had much time to dig back thru the post Vivek, work and family et al. I dont really use a 'dedicated' macro lens, esp not a bellows lens. The Tamron was the closest I came to that on the SB. Usually I use a normal lens on tubes or with one or two Minolta close lenses attached. So far I am pretty pleased with the results, my Tamron misadventures not withstanding.

As for my name, I do have one. But f/otographer works for me here. You have probably seen some of my responses on AlphaRumors under another name, since there is a Vivek on that site and I assumed it was you. I post under many names on many different sites.

If we are discussing my preference then I would go with Lord Dark Imperator of the Nether Regions, but thats a bit weighty for discourse.
    I am on this site and found that a Dave Smith has been posting on SB on p.net with the same images as you have here. That name is not even remotely associated with the nether regions, AFAIK.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Playing with different lens combos.....all uncropped.

21ML

45 Tessar

135 Sonnar

85 Sonnar

50/1.7
    Beautiful light, especially for the 21ML shot! Gorgeous shots, Rich!

Post Thanks / Like

Id like to see the new Sigma 18-50mm f1.8 on the SB. I know its not designed for FF, but Id like to see what would happen anyway. This could be an incredible combo for video.
    Last edited by Rawfa; 24th April 2013 at 01:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amazing representations Rich. The shoe shot is great and the Sonnar 85 photo is to die for. What bokeh! Is the 50/1.7 the ML or the Zeiss?
    Thank you. It's the Contax Zeiss 50/1.7. Still waiting on an m42 to C/Y adapter so I can mount the Zeiss (ZS) 35 Distagon and 50P.

It is so unusual to be shooting these in their "native" focal lengths. Happy guy.

Beautiful light, especially for the 21ML shot! Gorgeous shots, Rich!
    Thanks Vivek....coming from you....high praise.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been shooting exclusively with the SB lately and it's been a fun experience going all manual. I was inspired by all the amazing insect shots that I purchased a set of extension tubes. I also purchased an OM 24mm 2.8 and 28mm f2 at good prices, and I love how small and tank-like they are. The 24mm fits fine, but I had to file down the protrusion on the rear of the 28mm f2.

Does anyone have experience with any smallish size lens around 85mm? I'm looking at a Nikon 85mm f2 AIS. Have any of you used that on the SB? I have a Canon 85mm 1.8, but it needs repair, and is a bit large compared to all these small manual lenses I've been playing with.

With all that said, I find myself most comfortable with a 50mm right now. Here's a few taken with the Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8. Bokeh gets a little busy sometimes, but it's a light and small lens that's easy to use. Very inexpensive also.

Coming From the Light by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Rainy Day by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

S'mores Please by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Waiting by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Contax 60 macro.....

This could be a really good walkaround lens.....

Post Thanks / Like

I am on this site and found that a Dave Smith has been posting on SB on p.net with the same images as you have here. That name is not even remotely associated with the nether regions, AFAIK.
    Haha, yeah thats me. I dont recall seeing a Vivek on pnet. What do you post as on there?

Post Thanks / Like

Crono, those are some amazing city shots. That first high key image is striking and the compostion and foucs of the other shots are inspiring. Well done.

Rich, great shots as well from the Contax 60. I especially like the old radio shot. Is that the S or C model? I debated getting one of these but it seemed like it might be a bit large. How does it handle on your camera?

Oh, forgot to mention. I ordered up a CZJ Flektogon, on of the Zebra 2.8 models. I was going to go with the 2.4 but this one seems to be almost unused, still in the orginal box. Its winging its way here from Poland so it will be a while. I will post pics as soon as I can shoot with it.
    Last edited by f/otographer; 24th April 2013 at 10:16.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=f/otographer;508214 What do you post as on there?[/QUOTE]

I do not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rich, great shots as well from the Contax 60. I especially like the old radio shot. Is that the S or C model? I debated getting one of these but it seemed like it might be a bit large. How does it handle on your camera?
    I have the C (compact, 1:2) model. There are several reasons I like this lens compared to the S-version (1:1, quite large) and the Leica Makro-Elmarit R (1:2, barrel extends). It is a little soft in the corners at 2.8......which actually I like. It tightens up remarkably by 5.6. It balances nicely on the NEX/SB. I really appreciate the deeply concave barrel (and that the barrel does not extend), especially since it was raining yesterday and I didn't have to worry about drops on the lens.

Oh, forgot to mention. I ordered up a CZJ Flektogon, on of the Zebra 2.8 models. I was going to go with the 2.4 but this one seems to be almost unused, still in the orginal box. Its winging its way here from Poland so it will be a while. I will post pics as soon as I can shoot with it.
    That should be nice.....doesn't this lens focus quite closely?

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got my SB!! After a veeery long wait for customs to release it Ive dropped by the post office and picked up the package. Since Im at work I havent been able to test it yet, but I can tell it looks very well packed with good looking box with a massive block of foam. I will test it as soon as I get home. Obviously I will use it for photography, but Im actually more excited about using it for a video project that I will start very soon....having a 28mm f1.2 will be mind blowing
    www.rafael-lopes.com

Post Thanks / Like

congrats Rawfa on getting your speedbooster! I am so envious. I really wished I did not put so much investment on the metabones version 1 EOS to Nex adapter. It has evolved so much since, and now speedbooster. May have to sell some lens to get one myself lol

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is a very nice sharp lens with very close focussing. Perfect for Macro work.
    I have the the 2.4 as well in Praktica mount but it doesn't focus as close in that mount + I can't use it on the Speedbooster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the mustard, the radio, and those bristles bristling!!

This is all so dangerous and new things to try,
    Mamiya 120 f4 macro on Canon SB to Nex 5n,

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice John

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Im just a macro whore apparently. Couldnt pass up bidding on (and winning) an ML 55/4 Macro lens tonight. I am actually rather curious about this lens as there is not much info available about it on the web. My Yahshica Guide (1979, Milton Heiberg) lists it as the older of the two ML 55 macro lenses, the newer and more complex one being f2.8. The f4 model is a classic Tessar design, 4 elements in 3 groups. I can wait to see how it performs.

With this and the Flektogon coming I see lots more critters in my future. Michiel, thanks for the vote of confidence on the Flek. I am very excited about that lens and hope it is in as good of shape as the seller said it is.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Focus on the left eye

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one from over the weekend, taken in Brooklyn. Even though I have a bunch of other lenses, I keep going back to the Nikon Series E 50mm, probably because of the comfortable focal length. Depending on the scene, there may be slight glow wide open, but add a bit of contrast while processing and it's an amazingly nice lens for the price. And it's almost weightless.

People By the River by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Tamron Adapatall2 problems

i experienced interference with two new ones on my Speed Booster for C/Y. I am not sure what the problem is but I believe something will need to be trimmed a bit on the adapter in order to prevent damage to the SB.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the warning, Paul!
    I have an Adaptall2 for C/Y on the way together with a Tamron 24/2.5.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally had a chance to take some shots with the OM 28mm f2. Quite a bit of vignetting wide open, but it's nothing that can't be fix with a few clicks. When used wide open, it is surprisingly sharp and contrasty, without any glow/veiling that I would expect from old, fast lenses.

Walking and Talking by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Michiel if you get it sorted out please post your findings. I expect it will need to be Dremelized. On mine there is a long tang protruding from the rear of the adapter and I suspect that is the culprit. I am not sure of its' function.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can probably be chopped off or Dremelized as you say. No function we need as long C/Y mount fits.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the C (compact, 1:2) model. There are several reasons I like this lens compared to the S-version (1:1, quite large) and the Leica Makro-Elmarit R (1:2, barrel extends). It is a little soft in the corners at 2.8......which actually I like. It tightens up remarkably by 5.6. It balances nicely on the NEX/SB. I really appreciate the deeply concave barrel (and that the barrel does not extend), especially since it was raining yesterday and I didn't have to worry about drops on the lens.

That should be nice.....doesn't this lens focus quite closely?
    Sorry Rich, I missed this response originally. I wasnt aware that the C model didnt extend. That makes it much more interesting to me. And as for the Flektogon it is supposed to be a really good close focuser. We will see. I just hope I got a good copy.

On a slightly down note I just realized the ML 55/4 has a 5 bladed aperture. Not that big of a deal but I like as many blades as I can get. Which is why I actually considered some of the really old Silver versions of the Flektogon, that had 10 or 12 blades. But the aperture isnt everything. Im hoping I will find the 55/4 to be a sleeper lens that lives up to the quality of the rest of the ML line.

Hell, I just want it to take pretty pictures.
    Last edited by f/otographer; 26th April 2013 at 20:39.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turbines View Post
    Tamron Adapatall2 problems

i experienced interference with two new ones on my Speed Booster for C/Y. I am not sure what the problem is but I believe something will need to be trimmed a bit on the adapter in order to prevent damage to the SB.
    Thats odd Paul, I had no issues with my Tamron Adaptall 2 mount. It popped right on the SB and didnt interfere with anything. Could you maybe post a pic of your Tamron adapter and show what the issue is?

Post Thanks / Like

Thats weird Crono, your two cityscapes only just became visable to me. Very nicely done, especially the silhouette. All I can say is WOW...

Post Thanks / Like

And since we have been discussing some ML stuff recently here is a link I rediscovered that I had lost a long time ago. Has lots of info on the ML line with lens diagrams and everything.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11458...025?banner=pwa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And since we have been discussing some ML stuff recently here is a link I rediscovered that I had lost a long time ago. Has lots of info on the ML line with lens diagrams and everything.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11458...025?banner=pwa
    Here's another good one....

Yashica ML Lens

There's been a lot of chatter over the years comparing (VERY favorably) the ML 100mm /3.5 macro to the Contax C/Y 100MP..........half the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My love affair with my C/Y SB continues. So, what is it about shooting these lenses in their "native" focal length? I had NEX/CY and NEX/m42 adapters, but I almost NEVER shot these before. Now I can't wait to shoot them.

Weird....yeh?

It's gardenia season here. Picked over 150 blossoms in the past week.

60C macro

Theodore Wores (the Lei Maker; 1901)
    Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 85mm f/1.8

Contax C/Y 100MP

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thats odd Paul, I had no issues with my Tamron Adaptall 2 mount. It popped right on the SB and didnt interfere with anything. Could you maybe post a pic of your Tamron adapter and show what the issue is?
    I have obtained a another C/Y adapter and had no trouble mounting it on the Speed Booster. I can see no physical difference in it compared to the others. The first two were new unused purchased on the auction and I can only conclude they were defective in some way.