The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

Taylor Sherman

Thing is that when you compress an image the look is of more DOF. Will that translate to this adaptor? Probably. They are saying that the compression will get rid of a lot of other artifacts so I assume the compression will do the same for the DOF.
I would think that would apply to printed images, but not compressed sensor images?

EG if I take the image from FF and the image from a SpeedBoost-adapted APS-C, and print them both at 8x10, the DOF will be the same.

V

Vivek

mazor

many thanks k-hawinkler for links to samples images taken using the speed booster. It is now really tempting to get one of these adapters, especially since the adapter is actually shorter than the original metabones smart EF to NEX adapter

V

Vivek

The Speed Booster arrived today.
I posted a couple of shots here: Leica User Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - Metabones Speed Booster
6000x4000 versions are here: 2013-01-16 Speed Booster - winklers' Photos

With best regards, K-H.
K-H, That was quick! Thanks! :)

It is a pleasant surprise to see the examples. The APO 280/4 being one of the sharpest lenses out there for any system! Awesome! :thumbs:

How do find the build quality of the SB?

EDIT: I notice the corners going soft and with CA. How does NEX-7 image the same/similar subjects without the SB?

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

K-H, That was quick! Thanks! :)

It is a pleasant surprise to see the examples. The APO 280/4 being one of the sharpest lenses out there for any system! Awesome! :thumbs:

How do find the build quality of the SB?

EDIT: I notice the corners going soft and with CA. How does NEX-7 image the same/similar subjects without the SB?

Hi Vivek,

Thanks. Your observations also agree with those of Douglas Herr of wildlightphoto, please see the discussion after post #25 here.
Metabones Speed Booster - Seite 2 - Leica User Forum

I am planning control shots with a Novoflex adapter, please see post#28.

Build quality of the SB seems fine to me.

With best regards, K-H.

V

Vivek

Hi K-H, As you know, the bird-man knows that lens better than anyone out there.

I look forward to your comparison. The 180/3.4 you mention though a true APO is not as sharp as the 280/4 APO (with the 280/4 being in a league of its own- the 180 is *very sharp* by most standards). It will be interesting to see how these pan out.

Incidentally, I believe yours is the longest lens tested with the SB! Most of the original tests (AFAIK) were done with normals, wides and medium teles.

I am still waiting for mine. The longest lens I currently have to test would be a 200/3.5 AF Nikkor (from F3AF). I got rid off all the long, heavy ones a while ago to stick with compact ones.

k-hawinkler

Hi Vivek,

Thanks. That's interesting.
I also have some old Leitz Telyts 200, 280, 400, 560 mm.
Would any of those be of interest - other than of course to me?

And then there is the Leitz Tele-Elmar 135/4 lens head that I could try as well.
I like that lens a lot.

With best regards, K-H.

V

Vivek

Hi K-H, I think it will be interesting to check out the Telyts and the Tele-Elmar 135mm ( I plan to try my 3 element 90/4 Elmar and 135mm f/4.5 Hektor heads, along with a set of macro Summars, etc - some of my Macro Summars are also flat field lenses with infinity correction and are diffraction limited).

If you look at the one of the advantages offered by the SB (as per the white paper), it is to make the incident light rays fall near perpendicular to the sensor plane. Most tele lenses already do that on their own with some better than the others.

V

Vivek

Thanks, for the link, K-H.

Yes, I am aware of that thread. It will be interesting to see what the "Bear", "Big Dane" and others find. :)

"brianc1959" is Dr. Brian Caldwell. Incidentally, he is also a member here by that name.

k-hawinkler

Hi Vivek,

With regards to build quality I noticed, with the Speed Booster the distance scale on the APO 280/4 is off a bit.

With best regards, K-H.

Erik Lund

Hi,
Very nice to see familiar names popping up here!!! :)

Seems this new Speed Booster is popping up all the right places :)

I don't have a 4/3 or NEX system but very interested anyway, as usual...

Was going to see if I could take the optics from this new SB for Leica R and put it into a Nikon F to Leica M mount adapter, I have a Novoflex one just sitting around... but not sure the optics will fit without major Dremel work...

Looking forward to see some images off and with the adapter.

135 4 Tele Elmar M should make for an perfect test lens, can be easily fitted to almost every camera system,,,

V

Vivek

Hi Erik,

Good to see you here! :)

Despite your skills with a Dremel, the proposed adaptation will not be easy, I think.

The mechanical implementation of the 4 element reducer is a key element of the SB if I understand it correctly. The Q.C. of SB is far more stringent than the corresponding plain adapters.