Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Speed booster for NEX

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Speed booster for NEX

A couple of snaps with the Speed Booster and Nikkor 28/2.8 AiS combo.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Nikkor 28/2.8 AiS, Effective f/2

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Canon EF 50/1.3 II is becoming a favorite of mine. The lens does pass some useful UV although not as much as the Speed Booster would allow.

With a (Quartz) close up diopter (EXIF: aperture is f/3.2). With appropriate filters on the lens.

Visible:

and in near UV:

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow, I need to read up on this!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was out earlier (2 hours ago) and grabbed this night shot with a slight panning.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Canon EF 50/1.8 II, Effective f/1.3, 1/100s, ISO6400

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Inglis View Post
    wow, I need to read up on this!
    Hi John,

That is dangerous!

Here is a ~200% crop from a reflected UV shot. Not showing the full shot asI think is a bit scary.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very dangerous in deed!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

good to see vivek you are practicing motion blur panning. Today bicycles, tomorrow... cars, hehe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    good to see vivek you are practicing motion blur panning. Today bicycles, tomorrow... cars, hehe
    One of these days, I hope to see some demonstration (pics not words) from you.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Canon EF 50/1.8 II

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Contax 28-85 at 28mm on Nex 5n via EF speedbooster

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any Speed Booster for Nex to M lenses ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Would be nice, but there is not enough space between the lens and Nex for the optics

Post Thanks / Like

Man, why do we need a us$3500 FF NEX that will only take Sony lenses now that we have this?
    The only problem here is actually getting ones´ hands on these adapters. They are completely out of stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, I have to tell you these results you´ve posted are really really bad. I think you should sell you SB asap as it´s ruining your style. As a good pal I´ll do the sacrifice of taking it off your hands

Man, I keep going over and over this thread. Everyday I check the Metabones´ website waiting for the EF adapter to be available. I´ve already got a Canon 28mm 1.8 and a Canon 50mm 1.4 that I´m super eager to test.

Post Thanks / Like

The CY SB was finally in stock so I ordered it up and its on the way. Hopefully I will have some samples up soon.

I am wondering if the CY/M42 adapter will work on it. I really want to pop my Biotar on there and give it a spin.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Vivek, I have to tell you these results you´ve posted are really really bad. I think you should sell you SB asap as it´s ruining your style. As a good pal I´ll do the sacrifice of taking it off your hands

Man, I keep going over and over this thread. Everyday I check the Metabones´ website waiting for the EF adapter to be available. I´ve already got a Canon 28mm 1.8 and a Canon 50mm 1.4 that I´m super eager to test.
    Hi Rafa, If you are here locally, I might lend it for a few days. I waited mine for >1 year and it has exceeded all my expectations. So, no chance of it parting my hands, brother.

Call the sellers or resellers (monza was planning to be an agent for NA, I think, Stefan Steib for the EU- I have no idea how that has worked out for both).

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot blame you, V Lets see if I can get mine faster. I´m about to shoot a 10 episode show and I´d love to use the SB.

I have to say that lately I´ve been torn by a doubt...for about us$500 more I can get a used Mark II, which is awesome for video. I could then sell the NEX7 and get a basic NEX3 series for like us$200 as my travel cam. Oh, so many toys....

Post Thanks / Like

Some interesting stuff here, Thanks for posting. I also just ordered the C/Y to Nex SB and a Contax Zeiss 50/1.7. I can´t wait for them to arrive... I am also very curious about the M42 to C/Y adapter, since I am really interested in getting a 35/2.4 Flektogon (I had it once and loved that lens, would be awesome to use it again...).
    Sony Nex7, Sigmarit DN 30/2.8 & DN 19/2.8, a couple Rokkors...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nagas View Post
    Some interesting stuff here, Thanks for posting. I also just ordered the C/Y to Nex SB and a Contax Zeiss 50/1.7. I can´t wait for them to arrive... I am also very curious about the M42 to C/Y adapter, since I am really interested in getting a 35/2.4 Flektogon (I had it once and loved that lens, would be awesome to use it again...).
    Wow, thats kinda weird. That is exactly the combo I am looking at getting. I will be picking up a planar within the next week or so and the Flektogon was next on the list if the M42 adapter works out.

Which it does by the way. But my adapter is loose in the SB just as it is in any other CY mount I have used it in. I need to get a better M42/CY adapter to make sure it will be all snug and work OK.

Post Thanks / Like

A few quick around the house shots of my little girl with the CY Speedbooster on my NEX 7. For these shots I used the Yashica ML 50/1.7 (Series 2). I'm pretty pleased with the results and cant wait to take this new combo out into the world and start shooting.

All shots are straight out of the camera using the high contrast B&W mode.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f/otographer View Post
    Wow, thats kinda weird. That is exactly the combo I am looking at getting. I will be picking up a planar within the next week or so and the Flektogon was next on the list if the M42 adapter works out.

Which it does by the way. But my adapter is loose in the SB just as it is in any other CY mount I have used it in. I need to get a better M42/CY adapter to make sure it will be all snug and work OK.
    Great minds think alike..

I just ordered a Fotodiox M42-C/Y adapter even when I won´t be purchasing the Flek yet (for some reason adapters always take much longer to arrive than lenses...). Hope it will be a decent adapter and that it will work OK.

Those are lovely portraits of your girl, the ML lenses are quite something, aren´t they?

On a different note, I don´t quite get Metabone´s move of making Alpa-Nex SB. I am sure they have done their survey and have good reasons, but Alpa adapters are scarce and wildly overpriced. I think they are missing a great business opportunity by not offering reasonably priced Alpa adapters (MD and FD to Alpa would be awesome), and would certainly turn the Alpa SB into a hot seller. Unless I am missing something, with a 37.7mm flange distance Alpa mount certainly allows for quite a number of interesting combinations...
    Sony Nex7, Sigmarit DN 30/2.8 & DN 19/2.8, a couple Rokkors...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nagas View Post
    Great minds think alike..

I just ordered a Fotodiox M42-C/Y adapter even when I won´t be purchasing the Flek yet (for some reason adapters always take much longer to arrive than lenses...). Hope it will be a decent adapter and that it will work OK.

Those are lovely portraits of your girl, the ML lenses are quite something, aren´t they?

On a different note, I don´t quite get Metabone´s move of making Alpa-Nex SB. I am sure they have done their survey and have good reasons, but Alpa adapters are scarce and wildly overpriced. I think they are missing a great business opportunity by not offering reasonably priced Alpa adapters (MD and FD to Alpa would be awesome), and would certainly turn the Alpa SB into a hot seller. Unless I am missing something, with a 37.7mm flange distance Alpa mount certainly allows for quite a number of interesting combinations...
    The Metabones dude is an alpa fanatic - from what I've read.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Followed this thread with interest and after seeing he results here and elsewhere, I ordered a Speedbooster as well in C/Y mount. I have 14 Zeiss C/Y lenses, of which 3 Zooms, so that should be fun. At the same time ordered a cheap M42 to Yashica adapter to put some new life in my M42 lenses.
    Looking forward to put the Helios 40 and Flektogon 35 on it.

I waited to long for a FF mirrorlesscamera and this will satisfy me, I hope for the time being. I was on the brink to buy a FF dslr, but I do not want big cameras.

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Michiel,
    I look forward to hearing your what you think.
    John
    I assume that a FF Nex will not be able to do well in the corners with range finder wides like a Contax G 21mm. And since the FF sensor will be tuned to the full frame, it might not do as well in 1.5 crop as the 5n with range finder wides.
    So for me a 1.5 crop Nex camera and SB has a future.
    I have been saving Contax SLR lenses for a full frame Nex,
    but doubt that such a camera will be able handle everything I want to throw at it, or at least not for some time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1.

Michiel, Looking forward to what you come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

Nagas, thanks for the compliment. And yes the ML lenses from Yashica are outstanding examples of the lens makers art, forever overshadowed by their Zeiss brethren. It is a shame really since it is easy to see the ML line as the budget option in the whole Contax/Yashica universe but the fact is that they are excellent performers in their own right. And then there is that persistent internet rumor that the Series 2 ML 50/1.7 really has the Planar 50/1.7 glass inside, but probably with the ML coating instead of the T*. When I get my Planar I plan on doing some side by sides to see if this may be true. Regardless, it would be nice to see how the ML stacks up to the Zeiss.

On a slightly different note, I must admit that I am reconsidering the Flektogon purchase now. Its a great lens and I really want to shoot with one but there is something to be said for having as few adapters as possible on your camera. Just a personal thing really, as I dont like any slop or play in the mounts. And while there is not a direct counterpart for the Flek in the C/Y lineup (the Distagon 35/2.8 doesnt focus anywhere near as close as the Flek does) there are some very good options available. Such as the Distagon 28/2.8 and even the Sigma Super Wide II 24/2.8 in CY mount, which focuses very close indeed. I had a Sigma Mini Wide 28/2.8 that was amazing which I foolishly sold not to long ago. Regretting that decision, but I have followed the work of the young man I sold it to on Flickr and he is doing amazing things with it.

Michiel, I to look forward to your work with the SB. And I am envious of your Zeiss collection.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me to Vivek!

Enjoyed your report from Mumbai with the MM

Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Michiel!

Post Thanks / Like

While the wind was a bit blustery yesterday today things have calmed down. I was able to pop outside the front door to where some bees were dutifully gathering pollen on the lavender plants. All shots are straight out of the camera using the ML 50/1.7 on tubes with the SB.

a world of color

drowning in the bokeh sea

alien harvester

Oh Noes! The monkey sees me!

fade to pale
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

f/otographer, Really nice!
    The CY 35-70 with its macro at 35mm can also duplicate something of the Flectogon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

F/tographer, I really like this "macro with character".

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some with the Summicron-R 35/2. I like the lens so far, it's definitely not perfect (infinity / flat field issues, it's OK at f/5.6 and up but not below), but has a good character.

DSC06846.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC06836.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

DSC06774.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice, Taylor.

Not sure what you mean by the infinity issue/flat field issue.

Try it on people (not under mid day sun). Nothing can beat a Summicron for the skin tones.

Post Thanks / Like

John and Cindy, thank you for the compliments. And John, thanks for the info on the lens. But I have a bad case of Zoomitis. I just cant bring myself to use zooms when so many good primes are available. I must admit I looked heavily at the Zeiss and Yashica zoom offerings and while some of them are nice indeed I simply cant mount one on my camera. I have always seen the NEX as a 24mp digital back for every prime lens ever made. It really is the essence of a Prime camera. But I really do appreciate the suggestion.

Taylor, lovely work with the Summicron. I heavily considered using Leica lenses on my NEX, especially when the SB came out, but then I remembered what tax bracket I live in.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I don´t know if someone can clarify this for me, but I´m curious about possible changes in the minimum focusing distance. I have a Canon 28mm 1.8 and a Canon 50mm 1.4 and neither of these lenses focus particularly close. Is this affected in any way?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can always use Canon EOS extension tubes.

I just tried another possibility- adding Kenko extension tube between the camera and the Speed Booster. It gets close but there also seems too much fuzz.

Post Thanks / Like

You´re right, Vivek...I could use the tubes but if the minimum focusing distance were reduced using the SB this would be a great bonus . Too much of a hasle using a bunch of adapters stacked together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Guys, I don´t know if someone can clarify this for me, but I´m curious about possible changes in the minimum focusing distance. I have a Canon 28mm 1.8 and a Canon 50mm 1.4 and neither of these lenses focus particularly close. Is this affected in any way?
    With my lenses the focussing distance has stayed the same. The C/Y Sonnar I have starts at 0.9 metres and is the same with and without the speedbooster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Nice, Taylor.

Not sure what you mean by the infinity issue/flat field issue.

Try it on people (not under mid day sun). Nothing can beat a Summicron for the skin tones.
    So far, what I've seen is that at f/2 or f/2.8 I get pretty bad results at longer distances - not sharp in the center, and getting a bit smeared moving outwards from there. Though, that's always been with the SB on so I can't rule that out, or some interaction. Also this was looking at 100% crops, I haven't seen (or really tried to see) issues with it at normal sizes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would check without the SB and a plain adapter. If that behavior continues then there is something wrong. If it was an used lens, check if it has all the elements (not joking) and if it had been opened for a cleaning- in this case whomever did this might have flipped an element the wrong way while putting it back (again, not joking- I have seen such stuff with used Leica lenses in particular). Can you show a picture of the front of this lens?

Post Thanks / Like

This Yashica ML 50/1.7 is really becoming my favorite lens. Maybe I have a really good copy, maybe the rumors of it having Ziess glass in it is true. Anyway, went out to a little field of flowers today to hunt down some critters. Its amazing what you can find hiding in the grass. All shots on the SB with the aforementioned ML. Two of them on tubes, one not.

sworls

a classic

just leaving
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The first one, especially, is gorgeous! Focused and sharp in the right areas.

FWIW, Yashica were perfectly capable of making good optics. I have used the 50/1.7 with an FX camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

f/otographer
    is the bee in the 3rd shot holding on or flying?
    nice capture

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Vivek. In the first shot the little critter wasnt moving so it was easy to get the focus spot on. Well, I say easy...I shoot all my macro handheld and I still had to compensate for the wind moving the plants around. But compared to capturing fast moving bees I should say it was easier.

And I agree, Yashica optics are up there with the best. They are very well made for the most part and their purchase of Tomioka back in the day really brought some great lens manufacturing in house for them. There is just something about Tomioka lenses and the way they render OOF areas that I have always found very special.

Thanks John. The bee is just getting airborne from the lower flower that is in sharp focus. I almost captured him sitting there but he launched into the air right as the shutter clicked. That is why he is slightly out of focus. I get a lot of mis shots like this but I kept this one since the flower really highlights the scene and I think the slight blurriness of the bee adds some motion to the overall shot. Glad you like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another shot from the same outing. This one however is from my Yashica ML 50/1.4. Interesting how this lens on the NEX 7 saw the greens a little differently then the 1.7 did. This guy is definitely hanging on John.

hard at work
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phantastic ! And probably you got something else to envy - Good weather ! Whole Europe is drowned in snow, so you really are lucky to shoot these !

Greetings from a snow covered Allgäu
    Stefan

[QUOTE=f/otographer;502250]Here is another shot from the same outing. This one however is from my Yashica ML 50/1.4. Interesting how this lens on the NEX 7 saw the greens a little differently then the 1.7 did. This guy is definitely hanging on John.

hard at work
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    Phantastic ! And probably you got something else to envy - Good weather ! Whole Europe is drowned in snow, so you really are lucky to shoot these !

Greetings from a snow covered Allgäu
    Greetings! Well, they call this Sunny California for a reason I suppose.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just looked at their site and did not see one for Nikon G lenses. Anyone have a guess when they maybe available. Love to use my Zeiss 25f2 , sigma 35 1.4 and a couple of my Nikon G glass on my new Nex 7.

I think they really need a beta tester for it. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just looked at their site and did not see one for Nikon G lenses. Anyone have a guess when they maybe available. Love to use my Zeiss 25f2 , sigma 35 1.4 and a couple of my Nikon G glass on my new Nex 7.

I think they really need a beta tester for it. LOL
    Guy, I think a Nikon F adapter is in the works but dont quote me on that. As a work around you could order the EOS to NEX Speedbooster and then buy a Nikon G to EOS adapter. I know Novoflex makes a high quality one, a bit pricey though. I know others here have used several adapters on the EOS/NEX Speedbooster with much success.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been out and about enjoying the speedbooster and thought i would add another shot I like from the Canon EF 17-40/4.

Lunch time by SlingerC, on Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone!

I'm newly registered to GetDPI, but I've been following this thread this the Speed Booster was announced. I purchased the EF-NEX SB last week and thought I'd share some thoughts with you all. It's a long post, so I'm copying what I had shared on another forum.

Okay, so I had a few days to play with it, and here are my findings so far, as well as two samples. I no longer have a full frame DSLR, so I can't directly compare the image quality of the Speed Booster to how a lens would perform on a full frame camera. I've mainly been using the Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8, because I've missed using a 50mm full frame equivalent ever since I sold my 5D Mark II.

I've mostly been shooting wide open to get a feel for manual focusing on the NEX-6, and to finally get some full frame DOF again. A combination of focus peaking and focus magnification helps me focus as accurately (or even more) as I would using an AF camera/lens. Peaking is mostly dependable once you get a good feel for it. However, when shooting wide open at 1.8, I usually use magnification to fine tune. I find that the MF process is actually much quicker than I had expected. The EVF on the NEX-6 definitely helps when using magnification. Also, I set the AEL button to MF magnification for quick and easy access.

Wide open with the 50mm, the image center is acceptably sharp for me, though may be slightly soft for those demanding tack sharpness. Image corners are soft, though not bad at all, but I'm guessing that has more to do with the lens than the speed booster. Stopped down to 2.8, and everything, even corners, are SHARP.

Here are two samples with the 50mm 1.8 and SB. These are shot wide open using MF, so please be kind. Also, I'm not a portrait photographer by any means! Feel free to ask questions!

Danny

Candice & Metabones Speed Booster by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

Candice & Metabones Speed Booster by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr