The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

k-hawinkler

Hi K-H, I have no clue what that post means as it is contrary to my experience.

Hi Vivek,

Thanks. That's what I thought.
The other fellow now changed his tune by saying, quote:

"I might express myself wrongly. Vignetting is getting more in focus by stopping lens down, which makes more "hard tailed" and apparent."

Thanks again, K-H.

V

Vivek

Canon EF 85/1.8. Very sharp!

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Speed Booster, Canon EF 85/1.8, Effective f/1.3

This lens also vignettes wide open on a FF Canon.

Finally, I also tried a Canon lens that will auto focus with the Speed Booster on a NEX- the EF 40/2.8 STM lens. It hunts and at times gets the focus right. Since this lens is not that tiny to be a "pancake" for me, I will pass. It appears to be quite decent though, optically.

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek,

Thanks. That's what I thought.
The other fellow now changed his tune by saying, quote:

"I might express myself wrongly. Vignetting is getting more in focus by stopping lens down, which makes more "hard tailed" and apparent."

Thanks again, K-H.
Hi K-H, This might sound odd but the dprevs forum format makes it really unreadable for me. I look at something specific when pointed to a particular post like you did. I thank you for that. :)

V

Vivek

One snap with the Olympus OM Macro 50/3.5.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Olympus OM Macro 50/3.5, Effective f/5.6, 1/160s, ISO200, HVL-F20AM

This lens, practically, was a give away (US $10/-).

V

Vivek

Here is an extreme case with an esoteric lens.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, UV-Nikkor 105/4.5, Effective f/3.2, 1/2X magnification.

At this magnification, the lens basically doubles its size- meaning the exit pupil is too far away from the Speed Booster's optics.

This perhaps is similar to K-H's test shots with the Telyts.

Although, I am sure that if I just remove the lens head and use it with a larger diameter focus tube, the vignette/darkening will go away. FWIW, UV-Nikkor 105/4.5 covers 6x9 at infinity and at f/4.5 without its helicoid.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

A couple of wide open shots with a DX (APS-C only) lens, the Sigma 30/1.4.

at its closest focus distance.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Sigma DX 30/1.4, Effective f/1, 1/30s, ISO100

I shot a wall to check the corners without realising that a light was behind me.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Sigma DX 30/1.4, Effective f/1

Slingers

Hi K-H,

I noticed in that post there is a lot of talk of the magenta corners and was wondering if anyone had tried turning off the the settings:

Menu -> Setup -> Lens Comp.: Shading
Menu -> Setup -> Lens Comp.: Chromatic aberration

I assume these settings are for jpeg but there is nothing to say they are. They are set to auto by default on my NEX-7. I would test it but I don't have any that create the magenta corners and I have firmware 1.01

Hi Vivek,

Have you noticed this Re: to jpr2: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review, quote:

"BTW it is interesting that in Khaw samples, there is no heavy vignetting in the extreme corners. My EF/NEX version shows vignetting at all lenses above 35mm and it is getting worse as the lens is stopped down."

Of course, khaw that's me.

Best, K-H.

cunim

Vivek, thanks for the how to re "trimming" the tabs.

You know, Peller Estates is just up the road from me. They have a nice restaurant and the wine isn't bad.

V

Vivek

Interesting, that Sigma DX covers more of the sensor than I would have thought.
I was surprised since on a Nikon D300, the corners were always iffy, wide open.
This lens will make an ultrafast "normal" for the m4/3rds if one can put up with its bulk (67mm filter thread).

Also, mounting in the Speed Booster is not an easy affair. Though it does not affect the optics, mechanically it is too tight of a fit. It needs a bit of force to dismount.

V

Vivek

Vivek, thanks for the how to re "trimming" the tabs.

You know, Peller Estates is just up the road from me. They have a nice restaurant and the wine isn't bad.
I have not tasted the "ice wine" yet. Years ago, BC (Kelowna) wines were always considered as one step lower than any Ciders. ;) This might have improved now. Well, they can't make it worse. I did not know that Ontario produced any wine, until recently.

V

Vivek

A couple of lenses (Nikon F mount) that do spectacularly with the SB on a NEX are the Nikkor 20/3.5 AiS and the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5. I will post some samples later.

I also briefly checked the PC Nikkor 28/3.5. Full shift in any orientation is no problem at infinity. With full shift (from normal), the speed drops by ~1 stop-not unexpected.

cunim

I have not tasted the "ice wine" yet. Years ago, BC (Kelowna) wines were always considered as one step lower than any Ciders. ;) This might have improved now. Well, they can't make it worse.
Whoa there, Bessie. The Canadian government sends attack beavers after people who make comments like that. If you see a large rodent on the street, better run.

brianc1959

A couple of lenses (Nikon F mount) that do spectacularly with the SB on a NEX are the Nikkor 20/3.5 AiS and the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5. I will post some samples later.

I also briefly checked the PC Nikkor 28/3.5. Full shift in any orientation is no problem at infinity. With full shift (from normal), the speed drops by ~1 stop-not unexpected.
I'm very curious to see your results with the Vivitar 90/2.5. I've got the prescription for the this lens, and on-paper it does extremely well with the SB except in the extreme corner. The Vivitar 90-180/4.5 should work better in the corners because its exit puil distance is reasonably short, and it doesn't change during zooming or focusing.

V

Vivek

I'm very curious to see your results with the Vivitar 90/2.5. I've got the prescription for the this lens, and on-paper it does extremely well with the SB except in the extreme corner. The Vivitar 90-180/4.5 should work better in the corners because its exit puil distance is reasonably short, and it doesn't change during zooming or focusing.
Hi Brian,

Here is a snap. Weather was not great today. Cold and rainy.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Vivitar Series 1, 90/2.5, Effective f/1.75.

I own two samples of this lens and at the moment only one is visible to me. Absolutely no vignette worries from infinity to 1:2. I am yet to try it with the 1:1 adapter.

Those who have used this lens know that it suffers from (internal?) flare problems and reduced contrast. While the flare problem still exists, the contrast gets boosted but to a very pleasant degree. Combine that with its high res nature at pretty much any aperture, it is simply awesome! Bokeh is smooth. This lens alone + the SB is worth every cent! If I sound a bit too generous in my descriptions, I am really not.

I also happen to have the Vivitar S 1 90-180/4.5 Flat Field Zoom. Located it. Will check it out soon. :)

V

Vivek

A sample from the 20/3.5 AiS Nikkor.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Nikkor 20/3.5 AiS, Effective 2.5, 1/40s, ISO800, Hand held

I shot a bunch with this combo. Suffice to say that this will replace a few C-V wide lenses for street photography for me. Totally useful and impressive performance. :)

cunim

Quick report. After seeing the Summicron R50 adapted I tried with the Elmarit R 35. No joy. Once the shroud is gone, the convex rear lens surface conflicts. Furthest focus is about 20'.

V

Vivek

If you would bear with me for the subject, WB and even the focus, here is a bunch of tests..

The first show the Vivitar S1 90/2.5 at 1:2 without the 1:1 adapter.

This is the result when using the 1:1 adapter and at 1X mag.

With the 1:1 adapter if the magnification is close to 1:2 then images like the first are obtained. As it gets closer to 1X, the corner darkening intensifies.