The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

Taylor Sherman

I would check without the SB and a plain adapter. If that behavior continues then there is something wrong. If it was an used lens, check if it has all the elements (not joking) and if it had been opened for a cleaning- in this case whomever did this might have flipped an element the wrong way while putting it back (again, not joking- I have seen such stuff with used Leica lenses in particular). Can you show a picture of the front of this lens?
Ah, hmm. Interesting. My stuff's mostly packed up at the moment but I did look at the lens quickly. The front element's exterior surface is nearly flat.

It really does perform quite well, but when I pixel-peep at f/2 it's not as good as say the ZM50/2.

f/otographer

Chrono, Im not sure if there would be any issues with using those lenses on the SB. I dont actually have them at the moment. I wouldnt think they would, since the CY SB seems to have a little extra room in it and I cant imagine third party CY lens makers doing something drastic to the lens where it would be much bigger then the actual Yashica lenses. But you never know.

Vivek, Monze...I forgot to thank you for the shout out on the Sonnar. It is definitely on my list.

ken, I havent seen any of those type of comparos online. I dont think the existing reviews really cover it.

f/otographer

A few more SB examples. These are from the Yashica ML 50/1.7 (series 2) on tubes.

hoverfly, not in hover mode

tiny mushroom, with even tinier spider on top

to take the plunge

damsel

thumbing a ride

ladybug light (the little orange blob is a ladybug with an aperture shaped reflection on her back

Last edited:

f/otographer

These are with the older Series 1 Yashica Ml 50/1.7 using a Minolta Close Up lens No.2 and Minolta Auto Pak 8 close up lens.

home defence (I swear, I gotta get this guy to sign a model release)

shadowplay

she checked my bags last night, pre flight

f/otographer

love these bugs, flowers, and that leaf!@!
how tricky is this hand held?
Thanks John, the long and short of it is that it's pretty darn tricky. Not so much the stationary things like plants and fungus, but even then you have the wind moving your subject around. Bugs on the other hand are incredibly challenging. When I am trying to line up a shot I have to deal with the small movements I am making trying to keep the subject in focus, the movement of the wind and the movement of the bug itself, all the while trying to work with the very narrow DOF you have with macro. Now, if the insect is flying....

Lets just say, expect a very low keeper rate with freestyle moving macro. But the keepers make it all worth while. I hate to admit this, but on this macro run I took about 350 shots. Only 20 made it to the cutting board and of those I only kept and processed 13.

You also need to develop your stalking technique.How to move thru the grass when tracking a bug a moving bug and such things like that. Sometimes I just walk out to the middle of a field and sit down and wait. And look. There are millions of bugs out there and if you just wait you will start to see them everywhere. There is nothing like sitting in a spot for maybe 15 min or so making small movements and turns to capture what I see and then suddenly Bam, I see this spider in a web that was inches away from me the whole time that I never noticed. Of course, then comes the inevitable creepy thought "Crap, is there a spider on me...?"

I also stalked a damselfly yesterday for maybe 20 yards, crouched over an moving slowly behind her the whole time. She would flit from one bush to the next, landing only a few time. I had to move slow and bent over trying to get the camera into position. Every time I got just close enough to try for a shot off she would go again. The little tease. I finally gave up and turned around. That was when I noticed the obvious meandering train of destruction I left in the high grass from following her. I laughed, I cried, I had a good time. :)

So to answer your question, its tricky. But so worth it. I love macro.

f/otographer, thanks so much for all the detail,
which should help moderate any effort on my part,
but keep posting your chosen keepers,
for motivation!!

Michiel Schierbeek

Finally got it after paying the customs another € 52
It is good they put the value on $ 200 instead of 399 otherwise I would have paid a lot more.

Very little time but I took a quick run around the house to test two lenses.
In my exitement I left my ISO @ 800, so it could be better. Just before the rain, so it was getting dark.

First thing; Infinity is spot on on both lenses!
Second thing; How wide is 15mm! Never used in on a FF camera. You can get so close!
You notice immediatly that the lenses are a lot faster, ideal for moving bikes - Vivek must like this :) - and very quick snapping away.

Michiel

BTW Watch that stork in the back! Right in the middle of Amsterdam.

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

From a walk around the block last night with the huge Russian Helios-40. @ 800 ISO

So this would be a 60mm f 1.1 lens?
And the Zeiss Distagon 15/2.8 a 10,65 f 2.8 lens?
Amazing!

Michiel

Salt and pepper​

f/otographer

Michiel, I believe the SB formula is FL x 0.71 x 1.5= New FL. So the Distagon would be

15 x 0.71 x 1.5= 15.95

So it would basically become a 16mm f2 (due to the 1 stop increase as well). And the Helios would be a 90.5 f1.1 on the SB. Which, if I may add, is absolutely insane. :)

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, I believe the SB formula is FL x 0.71 x 1.5= New FL. So the Distagon would be

15 x 0.71 x 1.5= 15.95

So it would basically become a 16mm f2 (due to the 1 stop increase as well). And the Helios would be a 90.5 f1.1 on the SB. Which, if I may add, is absolutely insane. :)
Thanks f/otographer!

Are you sure? I don't understand the last x 1.5 in your formular?
In the white papers it says that a 85mm Nikkor becomes a 60mm lens.

Isn't basicly only FL x 0.71
So;
A 50 becomes a 35mm lens
A 35 becomes a 24mm lens
A 28 becomes a 20mm lens
then 18 becomes a 12.78mm lens.

V

Vivek

Michiel, You are correct. More than the time wasting calculations (which are a fairly standard/straight forward calculations) is how a lens performs for you. With a near complete set of Contax lenses, you are in a very envious position! Those distagons are just awesome as is, and with the SB, even better!

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, You are correct. More than the time wasting calculations (which are a fairly standard/straight forward calculations) is how a lens performs for you. With a near complete set of Contax lenses, you are in a very envious position! Those distagons are just awesome as is, and with the SB, even better!
Oh thanks Vivek!
You know I don't waste to much time on calculations and technical stuff, simply because there are a lot of people much better at that in this forum. :deadhorse:
But it is nice to globally know what FL a lens becomes.

It is a pitty I don't have much time these days to try things out. That 28 Distagon is a dream streetlens, I think, with the speedbooster.

Here are my C/Y Zeiss lenses to poke up the enviousness a little :D
(Recently I added the 45 Tessar, not on photo)

Michiel

V

Vivek

Wow!

Your missing a few distagons! :poke: :)

I have a Rolleinar 21/4 (not even a real distagon) that appears to be delicious with minimal distortions. One of these days I will buy an adapter to use it.

f/otographer

Wow, Michiel...that is simply an incredible collection of Zeiss glass. Impressive and enviable. :)

As for the 1.5 in the equation, that is the native crop factor of Sony NEX cameras. The SB is wonderful, but it cant make the crop factor go away. The white paper is correct in how it describes what it does to the lenses, but they leave out what happens when you actually put that on a camera. I thought that was a bit odd.

So what you end up with is the FL reduction and crop factor almost canceling out. Not 100%, but close enough for me.