The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

Michiel Schierbeek

Wow, that is a long time Paul. Very sad!
I'll hope things get better for you now and we hope to see some images soon from you with these lenses.

All the best, Michiel

f/otographer

Turbines beat me to it Michiel. The ML line was Yashicas top notch lenses (not counting Zeiss) while the DSB and YUS lines were a budget option. They only has a single coating whereas the ML were multicoated. You can see from the following Yashica lens list that they had different optical formulas as well.

YASHICA Lens for YASHICA/CONTAX Mount

Rich M

My NEX 7 should be thanking its lucky SB stars. It was getting packed up and ready to be put on the trading block when the Speedbooster shots started showing up here.

So......thank you Vivek, f/ototgrapher, Michiel, et al, mine gets here in a few days and a certain Yashica 21/3.5 ML is getting quivery with excitement.

(and the NEX thanks you too.....) :D

f/otographer

Rich, dont sell your NEX 7! Its a great camera, especially with the SB. And like turbines I cant wait to see your results with the ML 21. I would love to have one but they are pretty pricey right now. Making do with my 28 instead. Post pics when you get them please. :)

Michiel, wonderful bokeh from that Meyer. I know many might say its to 'busy' but I love it when old lenses render like this. Absolutely stunning results sir.

f/otographer

On a side note, the SB is now available in the Contarex mount. With Leica R, Alpa and now Contarex they are really covering the pseudo-esoteric side of lens mounts. I am somewhat surprised they released this mount instead of Minolta SR, Canon FD, Olympus OM and any number of others. They would probably sell more of those then Contarex.

V

Vivek

I would like to see samples from 21 ML, Distagon, etc.

Here is one using the 20/3.5 Nikkor.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Speed Booster, Nikkor 20/3.5, Effective 14/2.8

f/otographer

where is your flektogon f/otographer?
I on waffling on whether to get a Flektogon ken, mainly due to being unable to find a M42 to C/Y adapter that fits in my SB without wobbling around. I am very picky about any play in the lens area and both my old M42 adapter and a new one I ordered from the auction site are both slightly loose. Enough to annoy me anyway. The search continues and if I can find a snug adapter I will start using M42 glass again. I really love old screwmounts and I would like to get some results from my 1959 Zeiss Biotar and my Mamiya Sekor 55/1.8, both really nice lenses. If I can find an adapter that works I will look for a decent Flektogon.

I have a request. Does anyone have any of the Voigtlander SL I lenses to try on the SB? I have only just discovered these lenses and they seem to be very well made. I would like to see how the optical quality translates to the SB. Specifically the 40mm and 75mm.

V

Vivek

One of my favorite lenses with the SB, the plastic fantastic EF50/1.8 II, shot wide open.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Speed Booster, Canon EF 50/1.8 II, Effective 35/1.3

Michiel Schierbeek

I on waffling on whether to get a Flektogon ken, mainly due to being unable to find a M42 to C/Y adapter that fits in my SB without wobbling around. I am very picky about any play in the lens area and both my old M42 adapter and a new one I ordered from the auction site are both slightly loose. =
Mine is slightly loose with one lens and tight with the other. So in my case it also differs per lens. Did you give all your lenses a try if they wobble around or not?

f/otographer

Unfortunately Michiel my adapter is slightly loose on all my M42's. Its loose on the C/Y side and moves slightly withing the Speedbooster. Having said that, I mounted up the Biotar on the tighter of the two (which happens to be my old one) and made a few shots outside the front door. I will post those below.

Turbines, I havent used any Kipons, but they appear to be of the same Chinese stock as most of the others. Just upsold a little bit. For instance, some of their adapters look remarkably similar to the German made Novoflex adapters. I would like to know as well if anyone has used them however.