The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

CronoDL

I finally had a chance to take some shots with the OM 28mm f2. Quite a bit of vignetting wide open, but it's nothing that can't be fix with a few clicks. When used wide open, it is surprisingly sharp and contrasty, without any glow/veiling that I would expect from old, fast lenses.

Walking and Talking by DannyLamNYC, on Flickr

turbines

Michiel if you get it sorted out please post your findings. I expect it will need to be Dremelized. On mine there is a long tang protruding from the rear of the adapter and I suspect that is the culprit. I am not sure of its' function.

f/otographer

I have the C (compact, 1:2) model. There are several reasons I like this lens compared to the S-version (1:1, quite large) and the Leica Makro-Elmarit R (1:2, barrel extends). It is a little soft in the corners at 2.8......which actually I like. It tightens up remarkably by 5.6. It balances nicely on the NEX/SB. I really appreciate the deeply concave barrel (and that the barrel does not extend), especially since it was raining yesterday and I didn't have to worry about drops on the lens. :D

That should be nice.....doesn't this lens focus quite closely?
Sorry Rich, I missed this response originally. I wasnt aware that the C model didnt extend. That makes it much more interesting to me. And as for the Flektogon it is supposed to be a really good close focuser. We will see. I just hope I got a good copy.

On a slightly down note I just realized the ML 55/4 has a 5 bladed aperture. Not that big of a deal but I like as many blades as I can get. Which is why I actually considered some of the really old Silver versions of the Flektogon, that had 10 or 12 blades. But the aperture isnt everything. Im hoping I will find the 55/4 to be a sleeper lens that lives up to the quality of the rest of the ML line.

Hell, I just want it to take pretty pictures. :)

Last edited:

f/otographer

Tamron Adapatall2 problems

i experienced interference with two new ones on my Speed Booster for C/Y. I am not sure what the problem is but I believe something will need to be trimmed a bit on the adapter in order to prevent damage to the SB.
Thats odd Paul, I had no issues with my Tamron Adaptall 2 mount. It popped right on the SB and didnt interfere with anything. Could you maybe post a pic of your Tamron adapter and show what the issue is?

f/otographer

Thats weird Crono, your two cityscapes only just became visable to me. Very nicely done, especially the silhouette. All I can say is WOW...

Rich M

And since we have been discussing some ML stuff recently here is a link I rediscovered that I had lost a long time ago. Has lots of info on the ML line with lens diagrams and everything.

https://plus.google.com/photos/114580255020610579118/albums/5475981310918273025?banner=pwa
Here's another good one....

Yashica ML Lens

There's been a lot of chatter over the years comparing (VERY favorably) the ML 100mm /3.5 macro to the Contax C/Y 100MP..........half the price.

Rich M

My love affair with my C/Y SB continues. So, what is it about shooting these lenses in their "native" focal length? I had NEX/CY and NEX/m42 adapters, but I almost NEVER shot these before. Now I can't wait to shoot them.

Weird....yeh?

It's gardenia season here. Picked over 150 blossoms in the past week.

60C macro

Theodore Wores (the Lei Maker; 1901)
Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 85mm f/1.8

Contax C/Y 100MP

turbines

Thats odd Paul, I had no issues with my Tamron Adaptall 2 mount. It popped right on the SB and didnt interfere with anything. Could you maybe post a pic of your Tamron adapter and show what the issue is?
I have obtained a another C/Y adapter and had no trouble mounting it on the Speed Booster. I can see no physical difference in it compared to the others. The first two were new unused purchased on the auction and I can only conclude they were defective in some way.

f/otographer

I have obtained a another C/Y adapter and had no trouble mounting it on the Speed Booster. I can see no physical difference in it compared to the others. The first two were new unused purchased on the auction and I can only conclude they were defective in some way.
How very strange.

V

Vivek

I am looking at these on my ipad now.

Wow, Michiel!

Awesome! :thumbs:

f/otographer

Michiel, nice work with the mirror lens. I actually have a soft spot for catadioptric lenses. This is a little off the speedbooster subject, but I was wondering if you might test your mirror lens to see if it produces the same effect as in this photo.

I have an old Makinon 500/8 and I have noticed that if I purposely de-focus tree limbs they take on an interesting hollow look. Im sure they all do it, but it would be nice to have it confirmed. It is an interesting effect and I like it quite a bit.

f/otographer

Back on speedboosters, I havent had much time to try out my ML Macro 55/1.4 that came in today. Just a couple of quick ones around the house. Both are straight out of the camera. So far Im liking what I see. I will have to test it in depth next week.

coated cintar

night falls

Michiel Schierbeek

Michiel, nice work with the mirror lens. I actually have a soft spot for catadioptric lenses. This is a little off the speedbooster subject, but I was wondering if you might test your mirror lens to see if it produces the same effect as in this photo.

I have an old Makinon 500/8 and I have noticed that if I purposely de-focus tree limbs they take on an interesting hollow look. Im sure they all do it, but it would be nice to have it confirmed. It is an interesting effect and I like it quite a bit.
They all do it f/otographer and other lenses as well, I believe. Most mirror lenses are not very sharp but this Kaleinar lens is and teh 250 Rokkor mirror is as well. I had a 500 Tokina once but it had no sharpness.

Here is one with the Mirror Rokkor from the M4/3 Bokeh thread, where you can find loads of bokeh shots of mine from the past and others as well of course.
actually I am not so much into bokeh anymore these days but the Speedbooster brings it up again.

These are straight lines but with branches it will look the same.

(BTW on page 39 you can find a Biometar image of a poppy and Flektogon as well. It was part of a Lens every day project I did at the time)

And here a simular effect with an Isco lens.

Hope I did not go to far :OT: :)

CronoDL

I just bought an SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4 for a great price. Since I use an EF mount SB, I'll need an M42-EF adapter. Reading the reviews of some adapters on Amazon, it seems that some of them have trouble with the Tak 50 in particular. For those of you who have used this lens with an EF adapter, which specific adapter do you have?

And f/otographer, most of the times when I make posts with links to my flickr photos, I get a message saying that the post will be visible after approval from an admin. That's why the images don't show up. I'm guessing that's because I'm new to the forum.

mazor

Just a curious question. Does anyone think Metabones will update their speedbooster firmware so that Canon EF Lens can AF using the hybrid PDAF and CDAF found in the Nex 6 and 5r?

Has anyone actually used the speedbooster AF capabilities on their Nex?