The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

f/otographer

Got a chance to head out to a local nature preserve today. I started shooting with my Minolta glass but ended up with the speedbooster and Yashicas. Here are some of the better shots with the Series 2 Yashica ML 50/1.7. The pseudo macro shots are with the Minolta Close Up lens No.2 as well.

at work

a ragged weave

loosening trestle

departure (a self portrait)

leaf me alone

an adornment

closed for your inconvenience

and 1 from the ML 28/2.8
beside the trail

Rich M

Got a chance to head out to a local nature preserve today. I started shooting with my Minolta glass but ended up with the speedbooster and Yashicas. Here are some of the better shots with the Series 2 Yashica ML 50/1.7. The pseudo macro shots are with the Minolta Close Up lens No.2 as well.

at work

loosening trestle
All great shots......these two are my favs.

R

Rich M

More with the Zeiss 35ZS

OK.....this isn't a sharp as one could get with the Merrills....and I know the NEX 7 sensor can get pretty noisy at times, but between the focus peaking/magnified view and the great feel of this lens/camera combo I am good.

CronoDL

Does anyone have any experience using a Nikkor 85mm f2 AI(s) lens with the Speed Booster?

On the same note, what's everyone's recommendations for an (relatively) small sized 85mm lens that's f2 or faster? I have an EF 85mm 1.8 that needs repair, but it's rather large when mounted on an NEX-6. I have a bunch of smaller manual lenses, so I'd like to keep things that way. The Nikkor 85mm f2 seems like a nice size.

Danny

turbines

There quite a few out there that are including some Russian clones. The Konica Hexanon 85 f1.8, Olympus 85 f2, Nikon H or HC 85 f1.8 (HC is multi coated), Pentax S-M-C Takumar in M42 screw mount. Of course there may be more choices in the future as new versions of the SB are released.

I have the Takumar and will never part with it. The version I have is very hard to find.

Rich M

There quite a few out there that are including some Russian clones. The Konica Hexanon 85 f1.8, Olympus 85 f2, Nikon H or HC 85 f1.8 (HC is multi coated), Pentax S-M-C Takumar in M42 screw mount. Of course there may be more choices in the future as new versions of the SB are released.

I have the Takumar and will never part with it. The version I have is very hard to find.
I too, can vouch for the Asahi Pentax 85/1.8 SMC Takumar......it's an elegant handling lens and balances well on the SB. Mine didn't like the brightest sun (older coatings, I guess), but I just got in a VERY deep metal tele-hood for it and it made a big difference.

Prices skyrocketed for these lenses a few years back but the prices are drifting down again.

The Contax 85/2.8 Sonnar is nicely priced, small and very sharp.

f/otographer

Rich, Thorkil, thank you both for the compliments and (invisible) thumbs up. :) I am very pleased you liked the photos.

Crono I am not sure what your budget is but you might want to check out the Voigtlander SL Color Heliar 75/2.5. I came across it while researching C/Y mount lenses and it seems to be a nice performer, if on the pricey side. On the speedbooster it would become a 1.8.

There is always the C/Y mount Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8 and 85/1.4, the latter being much more expensive.

Slingers

Some favourites left as shot with horizon on an angle with the EF 17-40/4. I find myself using this combo more and more even though my favourite with the speed booster is the Contax Sonnar 85/2.8

CronoDL

I've been playing with a S-M-C Takumar 50mm 1.4 with the SB, and there's a good bit of vignetting. I haven't used this on full frame before, but I'm guessing it's a combination of the lens' character and the SB. It's a very sharp lens and has great contrast and OOF rendering. The vignetting can be fixed in post, but it's still annoying. It's not as subtle or gradual as some other lenses I've used with the SB. The Series E 50mm 1.8, in comparison, doesn't really have any noticeable vignetting.

I've been spending so much time Googling up 50mm's and checking them on eBay. I'm going nuts with all the options out there, but at least I've been able to keep the trigger finger in control.

What's everyone's favorite 50mm to use with the SB? And what are your thought on its properties such as vignetting and OOF rendering?

V

Vivek

My fav is the 50/1.8 EF II. OOF rendition isn't too smooth but is very sharp and a very fast lens (faster than f/1.3 with the SB!).

Next the Summicron R 50/2. Near perfect!

Then the OM 50/1.2. Simply awesome!

I do not like the OM 50/1.8 at all.

The 50/1.8 AF Nikkor is unremarkable. It isn't used much.

f/otographer

Huh....thats weird. I thought I responded to your question days ago Crono. I was rather sleepy and probably didnt actually hit the post button. Oh well...

My favorite 50 for the SB is the Yashica ML 50/1.7. It is one of the main reasons I decided to go with the C/Y version instead of the EOS version. Well, that and the price. I had every intention of shooting with a Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 but the three I tried just didnt match up to my ML.

The ML line was made by Tomioka which Yashica had purchased some years before. Tomioka was previously a third party manufacturer that made all of Yashicas lenses anyway (as well as lenses for many other makes). So it was a good investment at the time for Yashica to take them in house. When Kyocera bought Yashica years later they of course inherited Tomioka as well. It is my understanding that even today the remnants of Tomioka exist in Kyoceras massive holdings.

The reason I mention all of this is that there is something about the rendering of a Tomioika lens that I have always found to be pleasing and somewhat unique. Dont ask me to explain it because I cant. Bokeh is a very subjective and personal thing and one mans beauty is another man harshness. I have often thought on this very subject and I cant for the life of me find a word to describe it. The only thing I can come up with, and this is so silly it misses the mark entirely, is that Tomioka lenses have a 'cartoony' bokeh. Which completely fails, even as I type this, to convey what I mean.

Anyway, ML lenses are solidly made, most of them all metal (except some of the later cheapy ones). They have the wonderful Tomioka traits and the match up very well with the NEX. My experiance has been that the 50/1.7 is sharper then the 50/1.4, but that could be just the sample variation I have been exposed to. The 1.4 does have a 8 bladed aperture (while the Zeiss 50/1.4 only has 6) which I always thought was nice. The thing is on the SB the 1.7 becomes a 1.2 which for me is plenty narrow for a DOF. The 1.4 would be even more narrow. And of course somewhere out there in The Land of Rare and Expensive Lenses lives the ML 50/1.2. I have never even seen this lens on ebay or anywhere else for sale.

Having said that, I just checked ebay for the lens and while there were none available for sale there was a Contax Zeiss 55/1.2 with a Buy it Now for only $13,000.00

I actually laughed out loud. :)

f/otographer

Havent been able to shoot much recently. Been itching to use the Yashica ML Macro 55/4 some more and while the rain really kept me from getting out and shooting I did a few in house shots and managed to find a snail outside the front door. The snail shots also use the Minolta Close Up lens No.2 and Minolta Close Up lens for Auto Pak 8.

Snails, by the way, are incredibly hard to shoot since their freaky body shape has bits and parts going all in and out of the DOF.

the thing wot lived in the garden

with stately grace

cant you hear me stalking to you?

the descent

cursed with an angry countenance that belies the child inside

draw the blinds on the coming night

V

Vivek

You really are on a roll, Michiel!

Here is a snap of my latest camera and a favorite film.

NEX-6, Speed Booster, Olympus OM 50/3.5, f/16, avaliable light