The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speed booster for NEX

f/otographer

Not much love for the speedbooster at all recently huh. Oh well, mine is basically glued to my camera.

On a postive note, the speedbooster was mentioned as one of the innovative products of the year over at The Carmera Store in their yearly best and worst video. Check it out, some fun stuff.
The Best & Worst Cameras of 2013 - YouTube

Here are some recent samples. Enjoy.

Haha, who needs an A7?? :)

f/otographer

So, the A7 bug is biting after all. Went to a shop and checked it out. Very nice images from my old glass. But the new Fuji X-T1 is pushing ALL the right buttons. And I can mount up a speedbooster to it and gain that extra stop of glass that I have become very used to having.

Anyway, here are some more shots from the CY SB on my trusty NEX 7. All Yashica glass.

decisive moment

surface tension

in the dream I was a spider....and I lived on a sink in the field

a place unfamiliar to me

this is not the place of my childhood

contemplation

Pen

wreathed in flame as she was, those she passed new not if she were angel or demon

outrunning the sun

lamp post

mazor

Hi all, took the plunge and got myself a EF to E-mount speed booster, guess it has been out for about a year now, so I managed to buy one second hand :)

Here it is captured with my trusty Nokia 808

Now here is it compared to my EF- emount standard metabones mark 1 adapter

As you can see the speedbooster is a thinner adapter compared to the non speedbooster EF- e-mount adapter.

The autofocus is indeed slow and very unusable for any subject movement what so ever, but if you are capturing a static subject, eg product photography, the speedbooster will accurately focus some EF Lens.

Extremely excited I take the speed booster with 24-105L IS USM for a spin on the NEX in a local park.

Canon 24-105L IS USM f4.0 at f2.8 110mm effective

all images are out of camera JPG with absolutely no processing

Last edited:

mazor

This is how one can mimic A7, but with a smaller footprint than an A7.

808 captures

808 captures

Canon 50mm f1.2L at 1.0

How is that for bokeh?

Slingers

Canon 50mm f1.2L at 1.0

How is that for bokeh?
Your shots look good. The speedbooster changes the f stop by 0.72 so your effective f stop at f/1.2 should be f/0.90 but your camera may report f/1 as not all NEX's are able to display an f stop lower than one.

mazor

Thanks Slingers, I tested out my Nikkor 50mm AIS f1.4, against the Canon 50mm f1.2L and sure enough as you said the shutter speed required for the Canon was higher than what was required for the Nikkor to achieve the same exposure.

The Nikkor f1.4 will behave like a f1.0 with speedbooster, and the Canon f1.2L although displaying f1.0 as maximum aperture really is like you said f0.9.

mazor

not exactly the save FOV, but here is a shot I took with the Nikkor 85mm f1.4 AIS using speedbooster on NEX.

I think the bokeh from the Canon 50mm f1.2L is better, what do you think?

mazor

Hehe, I finally get a Metabones speedbooster and this thread seems pretty stagnant. Guess most have moved on to the A7 or A7r.....

f/otographer

Hehe, I finally get a Metabones speedbooster and this thread seems pretty stagnant. Guess most have moved on to the A7 or A7r.....
Haha, I know how you feel. The thread has pretty much died down. Shame since the product itself is great and a godsend for APSC cameras. Like I have said before the SB pretty much stays on my NEX 7.

Having said that, I will probably be adding an A7 to my stable pretty soon. I was going to go with the X-T1 but testing the two cameras has shown me that the files from the A7 are just better. At least for me. The plus side is that I can swap batteries between the A7 and NEX 7 and I think they will make a nice pair. All my E mount adapter will work on both as well.

BTW mazor thats some lovely L glass you have there. :)

Here are a few more SB examples from the NEX 7 and Yashica ML 28/2.8. This is from a trip last weekend to the coast with my daughter.

tiny dancer

eyes on the prize

the perils of surfing

run

duo shot thru the sunroof at a stoplight in San Fran

mazor

Here is more Camera comparisons showing a 1D2, an E-M1 and the Nex 5r with speed booster.

Truth be told although the NEX is by far the smallest body of the lot, the E-M1 although larger is lighter with the 12-40mm 2.8 pro lens attached. The Canon 50mm f1.2L and vertical grip makes the NEX into a very solid heavy piece of kit. The 1D2 by far is the heaviest, but the lovely Canon ergonomics makes it a pleasure to use.

mazor

thanks, it is my mates new lens! Tried it out on the speed booster on NEX, and it works exceptionally well. Possibly too well, as the focus sharpness can be a little too good, and the oft holga effect may be lost.

NB if anyone gets a Petzval and mounts it onto an electronic adapter, it will short out the contacts!, which in this case prevented the shutter from releasing. Putting a bit of insulating tape resolves this issue.