The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New NEX 7n on the way

iiiNelson

Smaller megapixel count, improved electronics, IBIS would be nice and improved performance with rangefinder lenses.

pophoto

I read somewhere IBIS (or just IS) will never be built into current Nex cameras because of Sony's intent to keep it small and the mount distance to sensor is reason why IBIS cannot be implemented!

peterb

I wonder if Sony's new 20 MP sensor will be the star. Slightly less resolution. Slightly better ISO.

pegelli

Smaller megapixel count, improved electronics, IBIS would be nice and improved performance with rangefinder lenses.
The NEX 6 scratches two of those four itches :)

Those were exactly my reasons to take the 6 over the 7

philber

Why less resolution? Can we ever have enough resolution, let alone too much? Progress in sensor technology, and associated electronics, is that we can have both more resolution and better noise.
Thus, my only wish for NEX 7n is better behaviour re:colour shift. Of course, if I can also get better DR and less noise, I will take it!

V

Vivek

I won't go near one until after I see extensive tests that would show any improvements- if there are any. I also would like to wait until the price drops by a few hundred Euros. New NEX cams are over priced in the beginning and drop by 20-30%, a few months later.

At least, this (price trends) has become a constant feature with respect to Sony and NEX'. :LOL:

iiiNelson

Why less resolution? Can we ever have enough resolution, let alone too much? Progress in sensor technology, and associated electronics, is that we can have both more resolution and better noise.
Thus, my only wish for NEX 7n is better behaviour re:colour shift. Of course, if I can also get better DR and less noise, I will take it!
Because in the current application the sensor being used is behind in performance than the "lesser" models (-5N/R, -6.) Besides the 20MP sensor in the A58 sounds like a winner... On paper (I can say I don't like what appears to be in camera noise reduction on some image samples.)

philber

Because in the current application the sensor being used is behind in performance than the "lesser" models (-5N/R, -6.) Besides the 20MP sensor in the A58 sounds like a winner... On paper (I can say I don't like what appears to be in camera noise reduction on some image samples.)
I use both 5N and 7, with the 5N as backup, or when I want to use both bodies concurrently. My opinion is that the IQ of the 7 is superior to that of the 5N in key respects (for me) of definition, colours, contrast and DR. Which is why it is my camera of choice and the 5N my backup. Hopefully the 7n can improve on those aspects where the 7 lags (noise, high ISO, RF wides)

iiiNelson

Yeah I have the NEX-7 sensor in the form of the A77 and I will say that the noise ruins an image quickly above ISO 800. By comparison I can do ISO 1600 relatively clean with a NEX-5. In good light the sesnor in the A77/-7 does fine but I also don't "need" 24MP from a cropped sensor either 16-20 seems to be ideal for that.

V

Vivek

After buying the 6 my 7 sees little action nowadays. I do not feel that the 24MP in 7 is better at all. I also do not feel the need for the 7n (if the rumors are correct). I would like to see a sea change in the sensor and not just a 1/3stop improvement which the 7 already has over the 77 because of the lack of a pellicle mirror.

Rawfa

I´m with Vivek. I won´t come near a NEX7N until there is some solid evidence of REAL improvement. I think the NEX7 has great DR already, so saying they will improve on that doesn´t do much for me. I would like to see better iso performance, faster AF and it would be cool to see some enhances video specs (higher bitrate, control over audio, headphone out...I find both of these very very hard to be implemented on such a small camera). One thing that got me excited about it was the supposedly faster AF and the fact that it´s no longer supposed to overheat while shooting video.

philber

I respectfully beg to differ with Vivek ans Rawfa. I only keep my 5N as backup to my 7, except when I want both cams ready to shoot, when I mount it with ZM18.
I find the 7 better in colours, contrast and DR. And resolution of course. So, if the 7N improves in its handling of RF wides, it will be a no-brainer. And any other gain (noise, DR, etc.) would be icing on the cake.

Rawfa

You´ve got me wrong. I love my NEX7, but I will wait to check the REAL benefits of the NEX7N before getting it...as a long time dreamer and an optimist, I have high hopes :)

Rawfa

Rawfa, you ever use the Outex underwater camera housing?
I cannot say that I have (I could not even find much on google about it). I´ve used a 50 bucks underwater bag in 2 or 3 trips and it did the trick for me (I´m not a pro underwater photographer, so there is only so much I´m whiling to pay for an underwater case). The one I´ve used is kind of a clumsy solution as the the camera is not completely still inside the case, which means if you don´t set it up properly you will end up with a big vignetting (the NEX7s´ 24mp allowed me to fix this in some cases by cropping).

J

JohnW

I'm also pretty content with the 7. But I'd really like faster wakeup from sleep and less VF lag when brought to the eye. A custom menu feature would be great, as would tighter dials. And one pipe dream: manual focus distance scale.

I'll almost surely skip the n.

John