The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CZ 50mm f1.4

jfirneno

Okay, not meant as flame bait. I'm very interested in this piece of kit. Anyone care to discuss whether there is enough info available already to say if this lens won't be a very good upgrade to the Minolta 50 1.4? I know we'll have to wait for samples to critique corners and bokeh and wide open sharpness but what can already be said based on published info?

Regards,
John

MikalWGrass

John, my sentiments exactly. I like the Minolta 50/1.4 but would like something better. I bought the 50/1.4 for $200.00 cash here in Miami. It was a great deal. The way I shoot, I could care less about corner sharpness, etc.. I just want to know if the upgrade is worth it.

fotografz

You mean the new ZA 50/1.4 for Sony Alpha mount right?

Sony 50mm f/1.4 Carl Zeiss Planar T* ZA Lens SAL50F14Z B&H Photo

I am presuming that this is a new design ... or it had better be for $1,500. :)

The specifications are quite impressive compared to the older Minolta 50/1.4-Sony 50/14.

The ZA has 2 Glass molded ASPH elements and ED glass with Carl Zeiss T* coating, 9 blade aperture (verses 7), SSM Wave AF, hefty metal build @ 18.27 oz verses 7.76 oz, and thankfully a 72mm filter diameter verses 55mm, plus is a sealed lens.

(The still missing lens for this system is a Zeiss ZA 35/1.4 ... an obvious gap that continues to perplex me).

-Marc

V

Vivek

With the current "mid-level" (as Sony describes it) FF camera, I do not see any need for this lens, especially at this price.

MikalWGrass

Vivek, I am inclined to agree with you. If I could find an AF that is better than the Minolta but at half the price of the CZ 50, I may get it. Any idea how the AF Sigma 50 performs on the Sonys?

fotografz

With the current "mid-level" (as Sony describes it) FF camera, I do not see any need for this lens, especially at this price.
Perhaps it is a portend of things to come?

After all, Sony is the one who makes the 36 meg Nikon D800 sensor ... just like they made the 24 meg D3X sensor, then sometime afterwards used it in the A900 ;)

-Marc

V

Vivek

Vivek, I am inclined to agree with you. If I could find an AF that is better than the Minolta but at half the price of the CZ 50, I may get it. Any idea how the AF Sigma 50 performs on the Sonys?
Mikal, I am afraid I can not give an useful answer to that. I am waiting for Marc to chime in.

V

Vivek

Perhaps it is a portend of things to come?

After all, Sony is the one who makes the 36 meg Nikon D800 sensor ... just like they made the 24 meg D3X sensor, then sometime afterwards used it in the A900 ;)

-Marc
Hi Marc,

Perhaps... I do not understand where Sony are going with this at all. :confused:

Jonas

Very interesting:

But, we need a lot of different samples. To me this lens and the A99 both are of great interest but I'm not going to order unless having seen a lot of images taken with the combo.