The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RX1 Operational Oddities

John Kraus

Anyone have workarounds to these? Or contacts at Sony so they might actually read and consider Firmware fixes? Thanks.

- Why do I have to zoom to 100% on playback if I want to see just a little magnification? Currently the only option appears to zoom in to 100% and only then use the thumb wheel to zoom out.

- On Clear Image Zoom why can't I use single point AF? The AF Point disappears and the frame line turns green indicating focus. But focus of what? It's like a non-confirmed multi-point focus. Of course I can go to manual focus with peaking which works very well, but it's slow.

- When using DMF auto/manual focus with 100% peaking, why is the slowest return to full frame 2 seconds? Why can't it be instant, or half a second? I autofocus, and if I wish to fine tune I keep the shutter release pressed half way and turn the focus ring. Automatically goes to 100% with peaking. I quickly adjust, great. But then I have to wait 2 seconds for the view to go back to full frame. Fine for still lives, useless for action or expressions.

- Why can't focus peaking work at normal viewing and not just 100%? I know Sony did this to insure better accuracy, but I'd take the slight loss in that area for faster focusing.

amro

This is really annoying me - I can't stand the way it magnifies the from when one is "focus peaking" in fact it makes it more difficult.

Is there any workaround for this?

kai.e.g.

I agree these are all annoying. Haven't discovered work-arounds (though I'm getting in the habit of using only MF, which means a half-press of the shutter instantly returns from magnified view. That's not relevant in DMF, though) Here's hoping that a future firmware upgrade will enable focus peaking in unmagnified view, too.

I did not even realise that you can use the thumbwheel to "back out" from the default 100% magnification during playback, so thank-you for mentioning that! It's mystifying to me why Sony didn't just make the thumbwheel totally responsible for zooming in/out of the photo during playback; no need for a separate button to engage magnification at all.