The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mitakon speedbooster at half price!

sonyalpharumors mentions that Metabones is now shipping SBs, but on the site it looks like the Nex adapters are not shipping at present.

f/otographer

I have been waiting for days to order a CY NEX SB. I finally got an email yesterday at work that they were in stock and two hours later when I got home they werent available at all. Guess they sold out that fast.

I hope Mitakon realizes that the most important part of a SB is the glass. Not just any cheap Chinese coke bottle glass will do. If they can source good glass with a reputable designer then they stand a chance at being a good competitor for the long run. If not, it will be just another cheap adapter.

I am waiting for the big boys to jump on this (Sony, Nikon, Canon) and come our with some sweet factory versions of this thing. Heres hoping. I would love to see a Sony E mount speedbooster with Zeiss glass.

mazor

wonder what's the brand that focal reducer?

Still debating on when I want to get an official speedbooster, but I just cannot warrant the cost for the extra size and heft of full frame lenses.

If speedbooster supported proper phase AF on Canon EF lens, for that price, I would not hesitate to get it.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I would rather buy the original any day; Dr Caldwell strikes me as being a very smart cookie. that's worth paying the money.

V

Vivek

Quite a few aspects were considered, in detail, before the Speed Booster came about. The white paper outlines a lot of them.

The rest wannabe things have absolutely no detail about what they are trying to sell.

kaptnkain

I'm curious as to the performance of the Mitakon part. Some early samples have looked promising, but until someone does a more indepth review on it, I'm not spending the money.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Why not pay the full price of the original, so the inventor (Brian C) gets some return? We know the optics are critical in this adapter; this is definitely one I am sure the original will outperform imitators (check out the while paper Vivek mentions above).

kainekainekaine

MXcamera commented on a Lens Turbo video on Youtube about the purple reflection problem.

"This is because of internal reflection of coat. The rear lens of lens turbo is too close to the senor. It will occur when using small aperture (around f/8), will fix it soon! Thank you so much."

Also mentions via email that a fix will take 3 months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYB0lesJaxo

Jeremy

self-portrait__DSC2816 by jeremy d moore, on Flickr

iso 100, 1/40th of a second, Nikon 105mm AIS wide open on Mitakon LensTurbo so ~f/1.8 on Sony Nex 7.

I only have Nikon manual focus lenses and as Metabones still has yet to release their F mount adapter I took a chance on the Mitakon. $200 for Mitakon vs. $600 for the Canon + the cost of Nikon -> Canon adapters -- it was a no-brainer.

So far I've tested the following Nikon lenses: Ai'd 28mm f/2, 105mm f/2.5 AIS, 180mm f/2.8 AIS, 24mm f/2.8 NAI

No problems with any lens at any aperture in terms of a purple spot. The images are sharper than using a regular adapter. Guess I won the Chinese QC lottery?

Now to save up for an AI 55mm f/1.2

jeremy
Did they say anything about the 20mm 2.8 AIS,
since they mention that as one that does not fit
on the Metabones Canon EF with adapter?
John