The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 anti-shake with non-OEM lenses?

lowep

I was thinking about using a Hasselblad 350mm Tele-tessar lens with the A900 until I read this thread that suggests the anti-shake may not work so well. Posts on other forums like this one suggest the results can be "excellent". So I am a bit confused and would like to hear from anybody who has used a Sony DSLR with a non-OEM telephoto lens.

pegelli

Get a chipped adapter so the camera knows it's a 350 mm lens and in-body anti-shake will work as designed.

Without a chip it will assume it's a 50 mm lens, so the in-body anti-shake will undercompensdate (and underperform)

lowep

Thanks Pegelli, I had thought about getting a chipped adapter but as far as I can see by searching the internet there is not one available for this lens?

When you say the anti-shake system will "underperform" do you reckon that it will barely work at all. Or work quite well but not optimal?

pegelli

I think it will compensate by a factor of 7 too low, so in practice I guess it's "barely".

Here's a link to James Lao's website (it has some email addresses in there) and what I understand is that he programs his chips himself, so he should be able to program one for a 350 mm lens at the right maximum aperture.

M42 M42-MAF/SONY alpha Adapter With Focus Confirmation

lowep

thanks for the link

two (dumb) questions:

what do adapter chips do?
(ie do they all communicate the focal length of the lens to the camera body - necessary for correct functioning of in-body stabilizer, right - or do some just communicate other date such as f-stop but not focal length)

how difficult is it to stick a chip on an adapter?
(I can see some sellers only sell adapters and others only sell chips. if you decide to order them separately and stick the chip on the adapter yourself how do you figure out where to stick the chip and what do you do if the adapter does not have a groove for the chip as for example the leitax adapters seem to do)

Last edited:

lowep

looks like the answer to my own question is it depends on which chip and which adapter :p since some adapters have grooves cut into them that makes positioning and sticking in the chip easier than with others that don't & some suppliers give the option of either sticking in the chip for you or guidelines for DIY so you don't have to be a rocket scientist to do this but maybe it helps?

while trying to figure this out I have also found out that people who sell these gizmos like David at Leitax and James Lao not only know their stuff but are also very helpful and ready to answer my dumb questions that makes the option of mixing one (wo)man's lens with another (wo)man's camera more doable than it otherwise would be.

Last edited: