The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RX1 - Histogram doesn't reflect changes in exposure

Muizen

I noticed that when shooting my RX1 (in M-Mode) that neither the larger histogram nor the small one (in the right lower corner of the LCD) really reflects exposure adjustments.
In S and A mode there are some almost "hesitant" reflections of changes visible in the histogram but very minimal.

When I like to "expose to the right" and therefore increase exposure these increases are not really visible in either histogram.
Changing between Auto ISO and fixed ISO values doesn't make much of a difference.

So far when during exposure the histogram indicates that exposure e.g. is too much to the left, I can not use the histogram to follow the effect of gradual exposure increases until clippings may occur.

What mistake do I make?

(I placed this tread in another forum but did not get any advise)

petetsai

Could it be related to if you have viewfinder exposure simulation on? I'd check on mine but its in repair right now.

Muizen

Could it be related to if you have viewfinder exposure simulation on? I'd check on mine but its in repair right now.
My RX1 is at Sony for solving this histogram problem.
However I do not understand what you mean by "viewfinder exposure simulation"?
Harry

4season

If the RX1 is like the NEX-7, there's a menu item for that:

Setup: Live View Display: Setting Effect On

Else the camera will do exactly what the OP describes, with histogram and display ignoring all changes to exposure settings.

Muizen

If the RX1 is like the NEX-7, there's a menu item for that:

Setup: Live View Display: Setting Effect On

Else the camera will do exactly what the OP describes, with histogram and display ignoring all changes to exposure settings.
I just got my RX1 back from the Sony dealer and indeed I had Live View Display switched "off". After switching this "On" the histogram now behaves normally with exposure changes.
Thank you for your advise!

Can you perhaps explain why I need Live View switched on (apart from the histogram function)?
If LV is switched off I still get Live view (but no histogram adjustments).

Why is there an option to switch LV off if this disrupts the normal functioning of the camera?
Thanks again,
Harry

philip_pj

There is no real knowing why Sony do their menus as they do, but one thing - they let you do almost everything once you discover the secrets. You could try futzing with the 'monitor' and 'viewfinder' settings also, as there is a checkbox there to give you another option for the LCD, what I do is make a change and check it out carefully for behaviour changes. Gary Frieddmann ha said it's not worth his while to write an RX1 user manual. Someone will..

BTW, I strongly suggest you try to forget ETTR with this near bulletproof sensor, it's an outdated kludge dating from poor DR, poor SNR sensors back in the early days of digital...people still read old stuff on Luminous Landscape and unwittingly bugger up their colour and tone curves using this crazy idea.

Like so much in life - high fat diets are bad for you; humans are heating the Earth; high levels of debt don't matter - the 'expert' or 'scientific' view is fallacious and anything but scientific...humans absolutely run on belief systems and ideology trumps fact, observation and experience every single time, almost.

Distrust expert opinion, unless verified independently! Well, you can believe Zeiss.

douglasf13

I just got my RX1 back from the Sony dealer and indeed I had Live View Display switched "off". After switching this "On" the histogram now behaves normally with exposure changes.
Thank you for your advise!

Can you perhaps explain why I need Live View switched on (apart from the histogram function)?
If LV is switched off I still get Live view (but no histogram adjustments).

Why is there an option to switch LV off if this disrupts the normal functioning of the camera?
Thanks again,
Harry
It is generally used for shooting strobes.