The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX 7 help

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I picked one up today as I wanted something small to play with and also use it for scouting a job, biking , hiking , golf and traveling. But this thing which does bug me is the menus are like a space ship. LOL

I turn most things off pretty much but I do have a few questions on setup and functions. I will ask more as the week goes on but one thing is I used center AF point and sometimes it does not light up but I get a big green dotted line instead. I do get a beep though. So I have something set wrong . Also like to flip flop the EV and Aperture buttons but just did not see that in the menu items. Standard is the left is Aperture and the right is EV. I use the aperture button more so like to flip that and maybe if possible when On manual mode the left be shutter button instead. And yes I do not RTFM, it goes against everything I stand for, freedom from following instructions. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Also I do want to use some of my Nikkor mounts from my D800E and want a capable adapter that can work with G mounts.

Any tips would be helpful and thanks in advance.

Guy Mancuso

I was torn between the 6 and 7 but the kit lens on the 6 was pathetic in operation with that W/T setting on the side. That just turned me off.

V

Vivek

If you have any specifics, post them, Guy.

I would recommend that you pick up a Speed Booster to use with your Nikon lenses (manual focus only)!

pegelli

I was torn between the 6 and 7 but the kit lens on the 6 was pathetic in operation with that W/T setting on the side. That just turned me off.
It has a "normal" zoom ring as well, I never use that "W/T switch on the side". On the other hand the 18-55 zoom kit is indeed a better (albeit larger) lens

Btw, congrats on the purchase, lots of fun to be had with older lenses (with or without a SB)

darr

.. I used center AF point and sometimes it does not light up but I get a big green dotted line instead. I do get a beep though. So I have something set wrong.
Soft Key A > CAMERA > Soft Key C > Autofocus Area > Soft Key C > Scroll for 'Center' Selection > Soft Key C
Also like to flip flop the EV and Aperture buttons but just did not see that in the menu items. Standard is the left is Aperture and the right is EV. I use the aperture button more so like to flip that and maybe if possible when On manual mode the left be shutter button instead.
You can change the Control Dial Settings in: Soft Key A > SETUP > Function Settings > Custom Settings 1 (for Control Dial L) and Custom Settings 2 (for Control Dial R).

The L & R Dials can be changed to ISO, Meter Mode, Exposure Comp, Auto Focus & Quality or Not Set - remember to press Soft Key C to confirm.

I do not have my manual in front of me, but Soft Key A is the top button under the AEL button, Soft Key C is the large Scroll Wheel button under Soft Key A.

Hope this helps!

Darr

Last edited:

HeavyDuty

Also like to flip flop the EV and Aperture buttons but just did not see that in the menu items. Standard is the left is Aperture and the right is EV. I use the aperture button more so like to flip that and maybe if possible when On manual mode the left be shutter button instead.
Guy -

I don't believe it is possible to move aperture to the right and EV to the left in any mode.

Also, in M my NEX-7 behaves exactly as you describe - left dial is shutter speed, right is aperture.

Have fun! The menus in the NEX-7 are infuriating, but once you set it up you rarely need to menu dive in my experience. I have the AF/MF-AEL center button set to AF start on mine like my Nikon DSLRs (no AF on the shutter button), and when I'm using legacy lenses I drop into the setup menu to change the button function to MF assist - it only takes a second to change the function back and forth.

The out-of-box menu setup on the NEX-7 is a little strange - ask away if you want to see what I or others have landed on for a workable setup.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks folks took a hike with my wife and the 2 dogs which made it tough to shoot but I got a few. Ill sit down with the advice here and work on it in the next days. I did realize after I found out about the soft keys and such you rarely get into the menus and that is a good thing. Very complicated little beast. Lol

Teaching this old dog some new tricks. Now see if a I got anything had Drake my 85 lb English pointer pulling on me as I'm trying to shoot. Oh joy . Lol

Turn off AF Illuminator to get rid of the Green Box. It's in the Setup menu.

Exp Comp will always be the right wheel in A/S mode.

Guy Mancuso

Okay I got it down to in A mode left dial aperture right dial EV.
Dial wheel to ISO than I put in right side on wheelWhite balance . Than soft jet bottom is focus. After that I don't need much else. So menu items is pretty much forget it and top function key really is limited so if I can use the first 4 I have the two dials the wheel for ISO and WB I'm pretty good than of course MF button focus. Now I have that on hold but thinking maybe toggle would be better. Thoughts on that one.

One thing does bug me on screen I would like to see frames remaining. Need to look into that more.

But big plus I simplified it about as much as I can so far.

I did turn off AF illuminator

Guy Mancuso

Soft Key A > CAMERA > Soft Key C > Autofocus Area > Soft Key C > Scroll for 'Center' Selection > Soft Key C

You can change the Control Dial Settings in: Soft Key A > SETUP > Function Settings > Custom Settings 1 (for Control Dial L) and Custom Settings 2 (for Control Dial R).

The L & R Dials can be changed to ISO, Meter Mode, Exposure Comp, Auto Focus & Quality or Not Set - remember to press Soft Key C to confirm.

I do not have my manual in front of me, but Soft Key A is the top button under the AEL button, Soft Key C is the large Scroll Wheel button under Soft Key A.

Hope this helps!

Darr

Thanks Darr I might just set this up for the top function key as well. I need to look into your nice setup here.

The single smartest thing most camera manufacturers could do would be a serious rethink of their user interface and their documentation. Cameras have become too difficult to operate for the average user (poorly organized and way too many unnecessary bells and whistles). Even professionals and serious amateurs have difficulty. If you eventually figure it all out, can you remember all the nuances of each camera you own after six months of inactivity? User manuals are poorly written in a style called "clear if understood" meaning that if you already understand it, it makes perfect sense (its not a format conducive to teaching which is the purpose of a user manual). Only the most determined individuals will eventually grasp the cameras full operation. This is costing camera manufacturers a lot of money and driving users crazy.

Paul

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Total agree Paul. Just me alone with all my years and all those systems I bought , I struggle with a small cam like this. I mean I never hardly read a manual and this one you almost have too and even than our members had advice that maybe I would have picked up much later on, too much I say.

Guy Mancuso

Oh I do have a question . I checked my firmware its version 1.0 and I see a version 1.2 out. Any advice thoughts on updating.

picman

Oh I do have a question . I checked my firmware its version 1.0 and I see a version 1.2 out. Any advice thoughts on updating.
The upgrade to 1.1 certainly is worth it because it allows you to lock the movie button so that you do not inadvertently start recording a movie. I haven't gone to 1.2 yet.

Cheers, Bob

HeavyDuty

I would update firmware - it's very likely there are "silent" improvements in the newest version. (Speaking as someone who is in software development.)

darr

I updated and everything seems okay. I think it was an update for a specific lens on 1.2.

Michiel Schierbeek

It is a nice camera Guy once you don't need to go into the menus anymore. :D
I only have to everytime I format my card in camera.

The update is a relief in deed. Can't remember how many times I pushed that film button accidently especially when holding the camera in portrait mode.

And buy some adapters to use your MF lenses, it's fun with the help of focus peaking.

Michiel