The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is this problem with my A99???

apsheng

I went out shooting first time today and got this - the darker edges in the sky surrounding the tree trunks. I am not referring to the CA but the broader band along the trunks. First photo is Lux 80, second is CZ 24-70. Adjusted curve in pp to high contrast to accentuate the problem.

Would appreciate your experience and diagnosis.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

apsheng

So this is a problem with the transluscent mirror in all A99 not just my copy? :mad: It was not even a backlit situation.

Alan

Shashin

That post of the pretty lights has nothing to do with what you are seeing. The OP, David Kilpatrick, is just a little crazy--I can get those interference patterns from a sensor, and a sensor that is not even in a camera.

apsheng

I am trying to determine whether it is just my A99. Very strange. Those two photos, along with a bunch more, were taken this morning ~9am with the sun on the left, still low but not just rising. This problem is visible in all of them. Later ~12:30pm, I can't get it to happen shooting tree branches against the sky. So not sure whether it is the position of the sun or the broader tree trunks that's causing this.

Anyone else has seen this?

Alan

Shashin

If you are talking about the fringing right next to the branches and leaves in the sky, then that is natural--it will happen with every camera. That can really be brought out if you try darkening the blue of the sky using hue/saturation/luminance sliders for the blue color group. Your first image shows camera motion going left/right. That is causing a fringe.

apsheng

@ken_vs_ryu: I don't think so. Good question though.

@shashin: Not the fringes around the branches & leaves which would be CA but the darker bands (almost 1/4 the width of the trunks) along the tree trunks. The first picture was shot at 1/1500. The blur of the image is due to OOF. Focus was not on the tree trunk.

Alan

ecsh

Since you have no "mirror", there is no mirror up feature such as with an OVF camera.
Joe

pegelli

Were these raw and converted or jpegs out of the camera?

Maybe try the other option (or another raw converter) to determine if it's a sensor/camera problem or conversion to jpg problem.