Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony NEX Hybrid Autofocus and LA-EA1 vs. 2 Adapters

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony NEX Hybrid Autofocus and LA-EA1 vs. 2 Adapters

Newer NEX cameras such as the NEX-5R now have hybrid autofocus on sensor, i.e. both phase and contrast detection. My interest is in using Minolta/Alpha SLR lenses. Doesn't this technology eliminate the need for the bulky and expensive LA-EA2 adapter with the built-in mirror? The older LA-EA1 however isn't capable of tranmitting autofocus signals to the lens, is it? Shouldn't there be a simpler adapter without the bulky mirror of the LA-EA2 which takes advantage of the new autofocus technology?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony NEX Hybrid Autofocus and LA-EA1 vs. 2 Adapters

Quote Originally Posted by engel001 View Post
    Newer NEX cameras such as the NEX-5R now have hybrid autofocus on sensor, i.e. both phase and contrast detection. My interest is in using Minolta/Alpha SLR lenses. Doesn't this technology eliminate the need for the bulky and expensive LA-EA2 adapter with the built-in mirror? The older LA-EA1 however isn't capable of tranmitting autofocus signals to the lens, is it? Shouldn't there be a simpler adapter without the bulky mirror of the LA-EA2 which takes advantage of the new autofocus technology?
    What the LA-E2 adds to the LA-EA1 in addition to the translucent mirror is an autofocus motor to turn the screw drive autofocus mechanism in your older Minolta/Alpha lenses. It doesn't matter what kind of AF signals an adapter sends to a lens if there's no physical mechanism to make the focusing mechanism move. The LA-EA1 will only autofocus alpha mount lenses that have a SSM or SAM motors in them. Looks for those designations of the Alpha Mount Lenses.

Here's a list.
    Supported A-mount Lenses
    The SAM and SSM lenses support auto focus when used with the NEX camera and the LA-EA1 Mount Adapter (sold separately).

SAM Lenses
    DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM (SAL1855)
    DT 28-75mm F2.8 SAM (SAL2875)
    DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM (SAL55200-2)
    DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM (SAL30M28)
    DT 35mm F1.8 SAM (SAL35F18)
    DT 50mm F1.8 SAM (SAL50F18)
    85mm F2.8 SAM (SAL85F28)

SSM Lenses
    Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM (SAL1635Z)
    Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM (SAL2470Z)
    Distagon T* 24mm F2 ZA SSM (SAL24F20G)
    70-200mm F2.8 G (SAL70200G)
    70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM (SAL70300G)
    70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM (SAL70400G)
    300mm F2.8 G (SAL300F28G)
    In addition to the list above, there are a few third party lenses that have AF motors in them that may or may not work with the LA-EA1. For example, my siggy 70-200mm f/2.8 has a AF motor in it, and the LA-EA1 will move the focusing elements, but it never achieves autofocus lock.
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Post Thanks / Like

May I ask how fast does A mount lens autofocus using the LA-E1? As it has not phase based AF system, it is probably fully reliant on the contrast based AF?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    May I ask how fast does A mount lens autofocus using the LA-E1? As it has not phase based AF system, it is probably fully reliant on the contrast based AF?
    In a word, slowly. Frankly MF is faster than the AF most of the time.
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|