The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody going all Sigma on their NEX?

jsnack

I have an NEX 7, along with a few other cameras, and was considering just getting the 3 Sigma lenses for it...the 19/2.8, 30/2.8 & 60/2.8. I mainly take this camera when I travel. I also have the 16-50 pz lens and that's the only Sony lens I have.

Is anyone else doing this? I really don't see the need for more expensive lenses in this range when the Sigmas produce such fantastic results. I don't need anything faster.

Any thoughts?

I have an NEX 7, along with a few other cameras, and was considering just getting the 3 Sigma lenses for it...the 19/2.8, 30/2.8 & 60/2.8. I mainly take this camera when I travel. I also have the 16-50 pz lens and that's the only Sony lens I have.

Is anyone else doing this? I really don't see the need for more expensive lenses in this range when the Sigmas produce such fantastic results. I don't need anything faster.

Any thoughts?
You can't fault the lenses for price, performance, and size. It's a smart move.

I'm hoping Sigma comes out with an ultrawide angle zoom.

turbines

That makes a nice travel kit but needs one faster lens. I'll be adding a Yashica ML 50mm f1.7 on the Speed Booster plus the Kenko DG Tubes with mine. It still should be easy to tote.

jsnack

I just got the 60/2.8 and I already have the 30/2.8. I think I'm going with the 16-50 pz zoom, the 30/2.8 & the 60/2.8. Perhaps another body like the Nex 5n or the 6 to minimize lens changing...still a very small kit.

V

Vivek

You should post some sample shots taken with the 60/2.8. I am sure that lens is as good or better than the 30/2.8 DN.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I will have my Sigma 60/2.8 early next week and will definitely post images. I have all three Sigmas now, the PZ kit lens, and an Oly 50/3.5 macro waiting for a tilt adapter to arrive.

On the wide end, I am using the CV 12/5.6 on an adapter, and it works perfectly.

philber

Sigma deserves prise for the great VFM of its lenses for NEX. That said, if you are willing to spend more, the first comparison between the Sigma 30 and the Touit 32 were in clear favor of the Touit IMHO.

J

JohnW

I'm seriously considering an all Sigma approach. I've got the 19 and 30, but also use a Voigtlander 25 and 35 and a Contax G 90. I think the three Sigmas would meet my needs very well, and I like the simplicity of it.

The one thing I would miss is the distance scale and distance click stops on the 25. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to set hyperfocal distance on the Nex. I've got a workaround but it's not too graceful.

John

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
My Sigma 60/2.8 arrived yesterday, so I have all the Siggies now.

I do not care for the shiny focus barrel on the 60/2.8, but side-be-side comparisons with DMF and focus mag. vs. mid-level focus peaking shows me that peaking is accurate (and faster)—so unless on a tripod, will be going with that.

The weather here is appalling, so no pics, but the bokeh is lovely, as expected, AF is fast, and the lens is light.

I have a CV 12/5.6 for UWA, and it works perfectly, so apart from the OM 50/3.5, my lens needs are filled. I have mentioned this before, but I shoot a lot of video on my 6s, so these lenses cover all my needs.

JohnW, your comment about hyperfocal distances is one of the reasons why I have the CV 12 and the OM 50 (and will probably supplement these two with one or two more). On that note, what are member's recommendations for small, light, optically stellar OM lenses?

The OM 50/3.5 is a bit front-heavy on the 6; and as the adapter itself is quite thick, I am thinking that some of the really small OM lenses would be great additions, and the NEX 6 has no problems with higher ISOs. What are your suggestions, or should I make this a new thread?

J

JohnW

....The OM 50/3.5 is a bit front-heavy on the 6; and as the adapter itself is quite thick, I am thinking that some of the really small OM lenses would be great additions, and the NEX 6 has no problems with higher ISOs. What are your suggestions, or should I make this a new thread?
Regarding the OM lens question, I suggest a new thread. But I would open it to ANY small legacy lenses, other than the obvious LTM and Leica bayonet (we all know they're small). I think that would be a valuable discussion.

But the real size issue with these SLR lenses is the adapter. I've got a Rokkor 45 f2 that's tiny, but the adapter is still the same size as the lens.

John

V

Vivek

Regarding the OM lens question, I suggest a new thread. But I would open it to ANY small legacy lenses, other than the obvious LTM and Leica bayonet (we all know they're small). I think that would be a valuable discussion.

But the real size issue with these SLR lenses is the adapter. I've got a Rokkor 45 f2 that's tiny, but the adapter is still the same size as the lens.

John
Here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/46586-tiny-old-lenses-nex.html :)

mazor

kit laughlin, another way to get high quality legacy optics that fit the Nex with a thin adapter are the Pen F Olys.

The Oly Om may be good quality and small, but like you said they are designed for full frame SLR type bodies, and hence once the adapter is added to the lens, it makes our Nex camera really quite long.

Advantage of the PenF Oly is that they are designed for half frame which covers the APS-C well, and allows the lens diameter to be smaller than full frame lens. Also since the PenF cameras had a smaller mirror, and hence less depth to the focal plane, so the adapter for the PenF to nex is like 5mm.

Here is an image of my 5n with 40mm 1.4 penf. It is surprisingly sharp wide open, and has good bokeh

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Mazor: genuinely intriguing; I will be looking into these, for sure.

And what adapter does one use for these? I just had a look through the Wiki on these lenses; are there any recommendations? The 60/1.5 looks good...

mazor

Hi, here is the link to the adapter. Anything equivalent should work too as long as it is a PenF to NEX.

Yes the 60mm f1.5 is a sought after lens. I have seen a few go through ebay, but they do command a very high price tag.

The most affordable penf lens that has the shortest length is the 38mm f1.8. There are many on ebay, that go for a variety of prices. The reason for the abundance of this lens, is that this lens came as a kit lens for the original Pen F camera.

To get just that bit more light and better bokeh the 40mm f1.4 is the best all round lens. It is only slightly longer, and the MTF is much better. Somehow this lens also has excellent flare resistance, which is impressive for a 1970's lens.

To get ultimate light there is yet a slightly larger lens, the 42mm f1.2. This is still really small compared to the the likes of a 50mm f1.2L or emount zoom 18-55. This lens has excellent bokeh, but is not as sharp wide open. You will have to stop down to at least 2.0 to get that clinical sharpness. This lens too seems not very resistant to flare, but how many 1.2s are. The cost for this lens on ebay I have found to be quite dare too.

I personally have not had any experience with wider angle penF, but they are too quite small, but they are also quite slow in aperture, although performace wide open with those lens is very good.

For wide angle, there is not much that can beat the Voigtlander 15mm Heliar f4.5. It may be a FF M lens but somehow the size is small and the quality wide open is good. Warning, do not use the 15mm Heliar on the Nex 7, results will be not good as it suffers from magenta casting

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Mazor, I could not see a link there. And there is a decently priced 38/1.8 here in Oz that I am seriously thinking about!