The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about new Zeiss 12mm WA

Jim DE

jfirneno, I think there are many of us waiting for the answer you are seeking. A highly used technical oriented site on the web has a few who have used the 12mm on the NEX 7 and they are saying it is a GREAT 14mm lens after they crop the soft corners away (they have not mentioned any color shift issues). IMO soft corners are worse than color shift issues because the color shift can be reasonably fixed with a added step or two in PP but the soft corners can only be fixed by cropping them away.

I am in a sit and wait and see mode. $1250 is too much for me to take chances with. I can wait........

jfirneno

Ken and Jim:

Thanks for the information. I figured lenses designed by Zeiss specifically for the NEX system had the best chance of avoiding the problems observed with other wide angle lenses.

Regards,
John

philber

I now have a Touit 12mm for my NEX 7. While I am yet to master this lens, much wider than what I owned heretofore, I can confirm that there is no colour shift IMHO.

jfirneno

Ken and Philber:

Thanks much for the info! Very glad to hear that there's a very good wide angle available for the NEX 7.

Regards,
John

Taylor Sherman

No color shift that I can see.

Also, I really don't consider the corners soft. At least, they're not softer than any other lens wider than 35mm that I've used on the Nex-7.

jfirneno

Taylor:
Thanks for the sample. Boy, it's amazing how fast these new lenses are getting into the hands of folks. This is definitely a good site for up to the minute info on new stuff.

Regards,
John