The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tiny old lenses on NEX'

V

Vivek

I made this photo yesterday to show my "Mini Ms". All these are Leitz Summar lenses with a maximum aperture of f/4.5. Infinity corrected (not all were! but the samples used here are)so usable for other than Macro that they were made for. They are very functional and I use them. Incredible performance (better on the 6 , 5N, C3.. than the dark cornered 7), wide open.

NEX-7, Speed Booster, Olympus OM 50/3.5, pop up flash

The 42/4.5 Summar was the one used to assemble Leica's Ur-Leica.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Shac and Doug. :)

I have some snaps somewhere in flickr and have posted these here somewhere.

This still is the favorite of mine and is apt for the "Mini M". The plastic bag that the lady has on the bike is from a chain here that says (to the extent)- "I don't have to pay more than necessary. I am not crazy". :D

NEX-C3, Leitz Summar 24/4.5

The 5N is a lot better camera and I will make some fresh snaps with it or the 6.

V

Vivek

Kit, Ben, thanks for your kind words! :)

Thanks, David (Shac) and Hakkalo. :)

Shac

Vivek - these are really nice - I find it great fun to be able to use all sorts & makes of lenses on the Nex's (assume you do too) - it's just not helping my GAS addiction though:p I have, however, managed to cease buying any more Pen F lenses after your indirect encouragement
Best
David

Godfrey

Really cool lenses and photos, Vivek. :)

Speed isn't everything. I wonder why so many dis the X Vario for having a slow lens? Is it just the price?

Godfrey

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I like this portrait very much, too, Vivek.

Ruminating, I feel that ƒ4.5 is excellent for portraits (I shot a lot of corporate portraits at one time, and used at least ƒ2.5 and more usually ƒ4, so the falloff in the DOF was not too intrusive), so on the NEX 6, this Summar would be a perfect environmental portrait lens. From today's web image, it looks sharp, too, but not too sharp, and that helps the whole portrait enterprise too, I feel. Lovely work.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
And to Godfrey—I have nothing against this new Leica (and had three copies of the old Digilux 2 and some of my best images were made with it or the Panny version). And if what I mention above re. DOF is operative in one's own style, then that slowish zoom will not be a hindrance to making lovely images. I like the UI very much, from what I can see.

I think it was theSuede (over at Fred's) who made this point (he was talking about the RX-100, but the principle's similar):

I never stopped wondering if it hadn't been a better idea to target 24-85 instead of 28-100mm AoV, that should have enabled them to keep the long end at least a full stop faster.
Talking about the new Vario X, one might wonder whether 24–50, and a stop faster, might not have been better received (these are my two favourite FLs, too, BTW).

mazor

nice collection Kit. I am really quite amused at how small they all are, but all have a mount designed to fit the M .

Here is my small lens which I use from time to time on the nex 5n. It gets nice bokeh for closer subjects thanks to it's f2.8 aperture

Here is some images captures with that lens. It is definitely not sharp or clinical, has interesting flare, and character.

Godfrey

And to Godfrey—I have nothing against this new Leica (and had three copies of the old Digilux 2 and some of my best images were made with it or the Panny version). And if what I mention above re. DOF is operative in one's own style, then that slowish zoom will not be a hindrance to making lovely images. I like the UI very much, from what I can see.
Talking about the new Vario X, one might wonder whether 24–50, and a stop faster, might not have been better received (these are my two favourite FLs, too, BTW).
I too would have been happier with a stop faster and a shorter tele EFL (would still like about 55-60mm however), but it is what it is. I'm in the midst of thinking hard about where I want to go with my photography and equipment. I have too much at present, I have a need to prune it down somewhat. Yet I like very much what I've got. It's a bit of a quandary.

G

V

Vivek

Vivek - these are really nice - I find it great fun to be able to use all sorts & makes of lenses on the Nex's (assume you do too) - it's just not helping my GAS addiction though:p I have, however, managed to cease buying any more Pen F lenses after your indirect encouragement
Best
David
Hi David,

"GAS" for the sake of it is not good IMO. If there is a classic streak in that quest, it is even worse. :eek:

Thanks a bunch! :)

V

Vivek

Really cool lenses and photos, Vivek. :)

Godfrey
Thanks, Godfrey. :)

I would rather leave the other stuff out of here. These are fruits of passion and not a wealthy wallet buying what it could. Key here is the assembly of the adapters and the focus mounts. It took a lot of time and effort on my part.

This one is no exception. A special mount to house the S-Planar 32/4 was done by Rong Jin ("jinfinances" on eBay) very kindly and expediently. The S-Planar 32/4 (documentation lens) is probably the sharpest ever made by Zeiss with mtf charts for 100 and 150 cycles.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

A sample shot taken with that combo.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-7, S-Planar 32/4

V

Vivek

I like this portrait very much, too, Vivek.

Ruminating, I feel that ƒ4.5 is excellent for portraits (I shot a lot of corporate portraits at one time, and used at least ƒ2.5 and more usually ƒ4, so the falloff in the DOF was not too intrusive), so on the NEX 6, this Summar would be a perfect environmental portrait lens. From today's web image, it looks sharp, too, but not too sharp, and that helps the whole portrait enterprise too, I feel. Lovely work.
Thank you, Kit! :)

The shutter speed of this handheld combo was sufficiently low (plus the diffused light in the shadow) to have some softness. :)

It is, in fact "too sharp".

Godfrey

The results you're getting with these lenses are very nice, Vivek! I'm curious as to where you found information to go looking for them.

I'm going to try one of the NEX 6 bodies soon. I like this 16Mpixel sensor a lot in the X2 and want to give my lenses a shot with it. A NEX 6-like camera with an M-mount was I was hoping Leica would release (that's the connection to That Other Camera for me ... ;-) as I like their take on ergonomics and simplicity.

G

V

Vivek

Thanks, Godfrey. :)

I was on a mad mission >10 years ago to collect a lot of information about many lenses. That cost a lot. Not at all easy. Plus, I have a room full of books on optics. :)

I asked about your Schneider (Robot) lens in another thread. If that (30mm f/5.6, a Tessar clone) has a variable focus setting possibility, it would make a splendid lens on the 6 (on a 7, it would have color shift issues). There are ready adapter possibilities.

Is that a "beamtenobjektiv"?

Shac

Hi Vivek - yes - totally agree. What interested me with the Pen F lenses was their small size and IQ. I have settled on the 40/1.4 and 150/4. The others I will try to sell (100/3.5 & 38/1.4). Interestingly, I found that the T-45 hood which I believe is for the 100/3.5 - fits the 40mm with no vignetting issues on the nex.

Best
David

Hi David,

"GAS" for the sake of it is not good IMO. If there is a classic streak in that quest, it is even worse. :eek:

Thanks a bunch! :)