Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: speed booster corner sharpness

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    speed booster corner sharpness

    hi all ...ive got a lot of canon lenses i want to adapt to my nex 6 ...i here that the speed booster causes soft corner sharpness...my question is if i left the speed booster and bought the smart adapter instead would the corner sharpness be any better ...cant seem to find an answer ..ive emailed metabones but no reply as yet ..i emailed them around a week ago

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Quote Originally Posted by tray271 View Post
    hi all ...ive got a lot of canon lenses i want to adapt to my nex 6 ...i here that the speed booster causes soft corner sharpness...my question is if i left the speed booster and bought the smart adapter instead would the corner sharpness be any better ...cant seem to find an answer ..ive emailed metabones but no reply as yet ..i emailed them around a week ago
    Where do you hear that? Very oblique post.

    What is your lens list?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    I use Leica R lenses ( 19/2.8 V2, 28/2.8 E55) on NEX-7 with the speech booster and do see some softness on the lower corners even on F8 or F11 settings. I have been studing the pics posted in this Forum on using this adapter on NEX-7 and postings on FM forum using R lenses on full frame DSLR camera. So far I cannot come to a conclusion, may be due to my poor knowledge or small size of the pics posted. I am waiting for my M(240) or a FF Mirror less (which ever comes first) to find out what causes the corners softness. Of course, I may not need the speed booster by then.

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Quote Originally Posted by SKueh View Post
    I use Leica R lenses ( 19/2.8 V2, 28/2.8 E55) on NEX-7 with the speech booster and do see some softness on the lower corners even on F8 or F11 settings. I have been studing the pics posted in this Forum on using this adapter on NEX-7 and postings on FM forum using R lenses on full frame DSLR camera. So far I cannot come to a conclusion, may be due to my poor knowledge or small size of the pics posted. I am waiting for my M(240) or a FF Mirror less (which ever comes first) to find out what causes the corners softness. Of course, I may not need the speed booster by then.
    +1. My Contax 28mm f/2.8 Distagon exhibits soft corners with the SB, but not with a straight C/Y to NEX adapter, which crops the corners.
    Carl
    Gallery

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    +1. My Contax 28mm f/2.8 Distagon exhibits soft corners with the SB, but not with a straight C/Y to NEX adapter, which crops the corners.
    Though it is not an EOS lens which the OP is enquiring about, how does that work on a FF camera (EOS)?

    The speed booster is not meant to be nor advertised as a substitute for a full frame camera. It boosts the speed of a FF SLR lens that is the key.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    its just my partner has a massive collection of lenses and i am trying to lend them off him ..ive got the dp merrill cameras and love the detail and sharpness they produce...with my nex 6 im just using some minolta md and contax zeiss lenses with cheap adapters and i find the corner sharpness is very good....

    but i want to give the canon 17 40mm a try and allso the canon macro 100mmis ...do i get the speed booster with slight soft corners or do i get the smart adapter ..all im after is the appeture control as most canon lenses dont have it ...if the corner sharpness is part of the design of the speed booster i may give it a miss but at the moment im using cheap adapters without appeture control which is a bit of a pain ...so was asking is the smart adapter sharper at the corners than the speed booster if it is i would rather have that than the speed booster

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    i just hope sony release a full frame nex

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Quote Originally Posted by tray271 View Post
    i just hope sony release a full frame nex
    The RX-1R will be available soon.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Quote Originally Posted by tray271 View Post
    its just my partner has a massive collection of lenses and i am trying to lend them off him ..ive got the dp merrill cameras and love the detail and sharpness they produce...with my nex 6 im just using some minolta md and contax zeiss lenses with cheap adapters and i find the corner sharpness is very good....

    but i want to give the canon 17 40mm a try and allso the canon macro 100mmis ...do i get the speed booster with slight soft corners or do i get the smart adapter ..all im after is the appeture control as most canon lenses dont have it ...if the corner sharpness is part of the design of the speed booster i may give it a miss but at the moment im using cheap adapters without appeture control which is a bit of a pain ...so was asking is the smart adapter sharper at the corners than the speed booster if it is i would rather have that than the speed booster

    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/431...oster-nex.html

    Slingers, I believe, has shot with that. If he does not reply to query here, send him a PM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    was hoping for a nex full frame with interchangeable lenses...and bigger sensor..hey thx vivek i will pm him

  11. #11
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    My 17-40/4 does have soft corners wide open at 17 with the SB but it also does on full frame. I have the contax distagon 28/2.8 on the EOS SB with an adapter and I do not get the soft corners mentioned. I didn't need to adjust my SB to reach infinity either for the distagon. Also the contax sonnar 85/2.8 is sharp with the EOS SB and doesn't exhibit any softness in the corners

  12. #12
    Senior Member f/otographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    The speedbooster glass is made from ground up Unicorn horns. And Unicorn horns are very sharp, therefore the corner of my speedbooster glass is very sharp.

    Please Like this post if it made no sense to you.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    thx slingers interesting to know ..so is it the smart adapter or the other adapter that allows full frame ....any samples at say f5.6 f8 corner s...thx

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Quote Originally Posted by f/otographer View Post
    The speedbooster glass is made from ground up Unicorn horns. And Unicorn horns are very sharp, therefore the corner of my speedbooster glass is very sharp.

    Please Like this post if it made no sense to you.
    No, i disagree vehemently. That honor goes to a plastic wonder that took the photography world by storm and it ends with a 'baby'.

    BTW, any corner can be made sharp (but not all the corners at the same time!) with a flip of the plastic hose.

  15. #15
    Senior Member f/otographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    No, i disagree vehemently. That honor goes to a plastic wonder that took the photography world by storm and it ends with a 'baby'.

    BTW, any corner can be made sharp (but not all the corners at the same time!) with a flip of the plastic hose.

    Haha...I actually Lol'd at this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Here some examples at 17 that I have found in my photos










    @scho In the speedbooster thread I can see your soft corners in the childrens garden shot. Do you have a MM or AE version of the distagon?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    thx slingers...looks very good

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    Here some examples at 17 that I have found in my photos

    @scho In the speedbooster thread I can see your soft corners in the childrens garden shot. Do you have a MM or AE version of the distagon?
    I have the MM version of the Contax Distagon 28 f/2.8. I'm going to put the lens on my Nikon D800e with an adapter and see what the corners are like there.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #19
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I have the MM version of the Contax Distagon 28 f/2.8. I'm going to put the lens on my Nikon D800e with an adapter and see what the corners are like there.
    Yeah it will be interesting to see if it still has soft corners on the d800e. I have an AE version made in Japan. Even though Zeiss says there is no difference in the optical formula a few posts suggest there is.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    yea i agree very interested to see the nikon d800e to see if the corners are soft

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Just a followup on the SB sharpness issue I was having with my Contax C/Y lens on the NEX 6. I tried to find a decent adapter to test the lens on my D800e, but no luck. One would only macro focus and other had a cheap glass element. I was able to test the Contax lens on my Leica M9 and the Contax 28 Distagon that gave me blurry corners with the SB had no problems on the full frame M9. Couple of full frame images linked below. Guess I will be sending the SB back to HK for adjustment or replacement.

    Leica M9 with Contax 28 Distagon

    Leica M9 with Contax 28 Distagon
    Carl
    Gallery

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Thanks for sharing, Carl but this (as you very well know) is not a fair comparison.

    The M sensor can take anything because of the special microlens array it has.

  23. #23
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Carl but this (as you very well know) is not a fair comparison.

    The M sensor can take anything because of the special microlens array it has.
    Vivek,

    True, but I still think that my copy of the SB is not performing correctly. I am also now finding blurry corners and edges on a Contax 50 as well. I am returning it with a request for replacement.
    Carl
    Gallery

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    That should not happen, Carl. Hope you will get a better replacement.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Taylor Sherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    390
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    It's clear in the SB whitepaper that it increases center sharpness and decreases edge/corner sharpness. However I don't think that means things should be "blurry", just never as sharp as the center, no matter what lens/aperture you're using.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Sherman View Post
    It's clear in the SB whitepaper that it increases center sharpness and decreases edge/corner sharpness. However I don't think that means things should be "blurry", just never as sharp as the center, no matter what lens/aperture you're using.
    Very true. If we look at the MTF charts (figures 6, 7, and 8) present at the white paper, the relative contrast is quite low at the carner compared to the center, m4/3 is slightly better than the NEX. Of cause these charts are measured at max. aperture of the three Nikkor lenses. We wish they will published the perform of the SB at other aperture settings, but again, this is what they want to advertize about the greatness of the SB.

    The did come to a conclusion on the corner performance of the NEX SB. On page 7, the last paragraph states: Quoted " 4) the Sony NEX version in the extreme corner of the NEX format has similar MTF to the original lens in its original image corners." Unquoted. In other word, if your lens has a bad corner performance on full frame, using a NEX SB will have the same result at the corner. Please note that the image heigh of a NEX corner is only 14mm.

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: speed booster corner sharpness

    TINSTAAFL.
    SONY A900
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
    My Site|Facebook Fanpage|

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •