The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

speed booster corner sharpness

tray271

hi all ...ive got a lot of canon lenses i want to adapt to my nex 6 ...i here that the speed booster causes soft corner sharpness...my question is if i left the speed booster and bought the smart adapter instead would the corner sharpness be any better ...cant seem to find an answer ..ive emailed metabones but no reply as yet ..i emailed them around a week ago

V

Vivek

hi all ...ive got a lot of canon lenses i want to adapt to my nex 6 ...i here that the speed booster causes soft corner sharpness...my question is if i left the speed booster and bought the smart adapter instead would the corner sharpness be any better ...cant seem to find an answer ..ive emailed metabones but no reply as yet ..i emailed them around a week ago
Where do you hear that? Very oblique post.

What is your lens list?

SKueh

I use Leica R lenses ( 19/2.8 V2, 28/2.8 E55) on NEX-7 with the speech booster and do see some softness on the lower corners even on F8 or F11 settings. I have been studing the pics posted in this Forum on using this adapter on NEX-7 and postings on FM forum using R lenses on full frame DSLR camera. So far I cannot come to a conclusion, may be due to my poor knowledge or small size of the pics posted. I am waiting for my M(240) or a FF Mirror less (which ever comes first) to find out what causes the corners softness. Of course, I may not need the speed booster by then.

scho

I use Leica R lenses ( 19/2.8 V2, 28/2.8 E55) on NEX-7 with the speech booster and do see some softness on the lower corners even on F8 or F11 settings. I have been studing the pics posted in this Forum on using this adapter on NEX-7 and postings on FM forum using R lenses on full frame DSLR camera. So far I cannot come to a conclusion, may be due to my poor knowledge or small size of the pics posted. I am waiting for my M(240) or a FF Mirror less (which ever comes first) to find out what causes the corners softness. Of course, I may not need the speed booster by then.
+1. My Contax 28mm f/2.8 Distagon exhibits soft corners with the SB, but not with a straight C/Y to NEX adapter, which crops the corners.

V

Vivek

+1. My Contax 28mm f/2.8 Distagon exhibits soft corners with the SB, but not with a straight C/Y to NEX adapter, which crops the corners.
Though it is not an EOS lens which the OP is enquiring about, how does that work on a FF camera (EOS)?

The speed booster is not meant to be nor advertised as a substitute for a full frame camera. It boosts the speed of a FF SLR lens that is the key.

tray271

its just my partner has a massive collection of lenses and i am trying to lend them off him ..ive got the dp merrill cameras and love the detail and sharpness they produce...with my nex 6 im just using some minolta md and contax zeiss lenses with cheap adapters and i find the corner sharpness is very good....

but i want to give the canon 17 40mm a try and allso the canon macro 100mmis ...do i get the speed booster with slight soft corners or do i get the smart adapter ..all im after is the appeture control as most canon lenses dont have it ...if the corner sharpness is part of the design of the speed booster i may give it a miss but at the moment im using cheap adapters without appeture control which is a bit of a pain ...so was asking is the smart adapter sharper at the corners than the speed booster if it is i would rather have that than the speed booster

V

Vivek

its just my partner has a massive collection of lenses and i am trying to lend them off him ..ive got the dp merrill cameras and love the detail and sharpness they produce...with my nex 6 im just using some minolta md and contax zeiss lenses with cheap adapters and i find the corner sharpness is very good....

but i want to give the canon 17 40mm a try and allso the canon macro 100mmis ...do i get the speed booster with slight soft corners or do i get the smart adapter ..all im after is the appeture control as most canon lenses dont have it ...if the corner sharpness is part of the design of the speed booster i may give it a miss but at the moment im using cheap adapters without appeture control which is a bit of a pain ...so was asking is the smart adapter sharper at the corners than the speed booster if it is i would rather have that than the speed booster

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/43130-speed-booster-nex.html

Slingers, I believe, has shot with that. If he does not reply to query here, send him a PM.

tray271

was hoping for a nex full frame with interchangeable lenses...and bigger sensor..hey thx vivek i will pm him

Slingers

My 17-40/4 does have soft corners wide open at 17 with the SB but it also does on full frame. I have the contax distagon 28/2.8 on the EOS SB with an adapter and I do not get the soft corners mentioned. I didn't need to adjust my SB to reach infinity either for the distagon. Also the contax sonnar 85/2.8 is sharp with the EOS SB and doesn't exhibit any softness in the corners

f/otographer

The speedbooster glass is made from ground up Unicorn horns. And Unicorn horns are very sharp, therefore the corner of my speedbooster glass is very sharp.

Please Like this post if it made no sense to you. :)

tray271

thx slingers interesting to know ..so is it the smart adapter or the other adapter that allows full frame ....any samples at say f5.6 f8 corner s...thx

V

Vivek

The speedbooster glass is made from ground up Unicorn horns. And Unicorn horns are very sharp, therefore the corner of my speedbooster glass is very sharp.

Please Like this post if it made no sense to you. :)
No, i disagree vehemently. That honor goes to a plastic wonder that took the photography world by storm and it ends with a 'baby'. :lecture: :D

BTW, any corner can be made sharp (but not all the corners at the same time!) with a flip of the plastic hose. :ROTFL:

f/otographer

No, i disagree vehemently. That honor goes to a plastic wonder that took the photography world by storm and it ends with a 'baby'. :lecture: :D

BTW, any corner can be made sharp (but not all the corners at the same time!) with a flip of the plastic hose. :ROTFL:

Haha...I actually Lol'd at this. :)

Slingers

Here some examples at 17 that I have found in my photos

@scho In the speedbooster thread I can see your soft corners in the childrens garden shot. Do you have a MM or AE version of the distagon?

scho

Here some examples at 17 that I have found in my photos

@scho In the speedbooster thread I can see your soft corners in the childrens garden shot. Do you have a MM or AE version of the distagon?
I have the MM version of the Contax Distagon 28 f/2.8. I'm going to put the lens on my Nikon D800e with an adapter and see what the corners are like there.

Slingers

I have the MM version of the Contax Distagon 28 f/2.8. I'm going to put the lens on my Nikon D800e with an adapter and see what the corners are like there.
Yeah it will be interesting to see if it still has soft corners on the d800e. I have an AE version made in Japan. Even though Zeiss says there is no difference in the optical formula a few posts suggest there is.