The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FF NEX and F E lenses

Jim DE

Yeah, I have been reading all the various rumors and now so called reports. I am hoping that the last bit about a changed e mount is not right. But, you know how this goes with rumors and new products we will surely hear just about anything.

Either way I am ready to get a full frame Sony of some kind in the next few months. Money is set aside and it will either be a a-99 if they offer the flash and grip bundle again or the new ILC NEX/RX if it works with legacy glass like my CG's. I was even recently considering the RX-1 but knew to wait a bit with all these rumors flying around.

Rawfa

I´m praying for Sony to play it´s cards right for once. They just love releasing a first model RX1 full of "glitches" and then releasing another model to fix it instead of doing it via firmware update. I would REALLY like they to believe they would get it right straight away but it´s not their strategy and they make more money the other way. But it´s nice to know they are at least walking towards a different direction and that one day I will be able to replace my Canon 6D and my NEX-7 for one single camera.

douglasf13

I´m praying for Sony to play it´s cards right for once. They just love releasing a first model RX1 full of "glitches" and then releasing another model to fix it instead of doing it via firmware update. I would REALLY like they to believe they would get it right straight away but it´s not their strategy and they make more money the other way. But it´s nice to know they are at least walking towards a different direction and that one day I will be able to replace my Canon 6D and my NEX-7 for one single camera.
What do you mean? The RX1 is probably has the fewest amount of things that I'd change in a firmware update of any camera I've owned. It isn't perfect, but they did a pretty good job. It certainly isn't the beta-type release of the Fuji X cameras (I've owned two of those.)

Sony has the capability of improving cameras through firmware. My A100, A700, A900 and NEX-5 all had several firmware updates that both fixed bugs and added new features. We'll see.

baudolino

I quite agree with you, the RX-1 firmware is not bad at all. The only thing I would wish is to be able to assign the AF-on function to the AEL button, while in manual focus (or perhaps I need to read the manual after all...?).

Rawfa

Ok, except for the AF and the video functions the RX1 was a bad example, but look at how many NEX3s and NEX5s were released with only minor improvements. Come on, it's just insulting.

douglasf13

I quite agree with you, the RX-1 firmware is not bad at all. The only thing I would wish is to be able to assign the AF-on function to the AEL button, while in manual focus (or perhaps I need to read the manual after all...?).
Yep, you just need to read the manual. You can set AF-on to more than one button on the camera.

douglasf13

Ok, except for the AF and the video functions the RX1 was a bad example, but look at how many NEX3s and NEX5s were released with only minor improvements. Come on, it's just insulting.
Huh? There were 5 firmware updates for the NEX-5, which added ALL KINDS of functionality. For example:

-Adds the function to use "Picture Effect" modes
-Adds the function to use "Peaking Level" and to select the "Peaking Color" in manual focus mode
-Adds "Soft key Settings" to the "Setup" menu to allow customization of the soft keys
-Adds the "Menu start" function
-Adds two more settings to the "MF Assist" function
-Improves menu item selection using the Control Wheel
-Changes the aperture setting function so the setting is maintained when using "Background Defocus Control" or "Aperture Priority" movie recording modes
-Adds support for auto focus with Supported A-mount Lenses.
-Adds a function to enlarge the image when "Release w/o Lens" is set to "Enable"
-Adds the 3D Sweep Panorama™ function (More information about supported 3D functions.)
-Improves the Sweep Panorama function
-Resolves an issue where the battery may be drained even if the camera is turned off
-Reduces start-up time under low light conditions

Shashin

People companied the RX-1 only had a 35mm lens, now folks are excited by a possible FF Nex that also only has one 35mm lens...

petetsai

What a bizarre statement to make about Sony. The Nex was a camera that truly proved Sony was listening to end users and they did anything but obsolete the camera in favor of a slightly newer one on that model. The NEX-5 got focus peaking added in firmware that was a shock of as the camera was near end of production yet Sony added this feature along with all the other improvements that came as a result of user feedback.

Rawfa

Don't get me wrong, I love the NEX system and I REALLY want to see it triumph, but still you have like 4 or 5 versions of the NEX3 and NEX5 with no night/day improvements. And the way they plan their products`development doesn't please me at all. The NEX6 is supposed to be the fastest NEX out there but Sony decided to implement an AF system that will only work in a small portion of E-mount lenses (even when they know they are way behind other mirrorless systems). Anyway, this is a Nex FF thread and I don't want to thread jack, so I'll say no more.

Michiel Schierbeek

Peronally I like it when the camera is 20% bigger as the NEX-7. I use the NEX-7 with a Gariz case, feels much better especially with somewhat bigger lenses.

V

Vivek

Yes, a larger NEX-7 would be great. Personally, I hate that Gariz case. Regret having wasted $100+ on that.

Despite the rumored 20% increase in size, it will still be very compact compared to many others out there. :)

V

Vivek

I would really hope that the FF NEX will have an EVF and a hotshoe for flash so that both can be used at the same time.

douglasf13

Don't get me wrong, I love the NEX system and I REALLY want to see it triumph, but still you have like 4 or 5 versions of the NEX3 and NEX5 with no night/day improvements. And the way they plan their products`development doesn't please me at all. The NEX6 is supposed to be the fastest NEX out there but Sony decided to implement an AF system that will only work in a small portion of E-mount lenses (even when they know they are way behind other mirrorless systems). Anyway, this is a Nex FF thread and I don't want to thread jack, so I'll say no more.

I'm just kind of blown away about what kind of improvements you expect? Focus peaking, picture styles, user definable memory buttons, etc., are all major additions. My Fuji X100 was in such a beta state when it came out that it took multiple firmwares just to get it to where it should have been at release.

V

Vivek

If the latest rumors are to be believed, a digital Nikon FM2 or a digital Olympus OM1 is going to be delivered by Sony! A lot of NEX folks may be disappointed.

I think it is great news (shape/form factor) though! :)