Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: FF NEX and F E lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FF NEX and F E lenses

Sony RX10 = 1199

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if Pentax K lenses cover full frame? I have a 50mm that I love to death and Id love to use it on the A7.

Post Thanks / Like

Old manual 50mm for film? Sure it will cover OK. I have a 50/1.2 that I'll be trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Despite my earlier ramblings about going for the A7 that was made before seeing the pricing for the A7r. An absolute no-brainer at the price.

I've pre-ordered with WEX the only issue I can see is that I will probably have to take delivery of the body before the lens I want is available which is the 55/1.8. I'll then wait to see what the jury says but my ideal other lens would either be a Leica 21/2.8 or a Zeiss 21/2.8. With my RX1, the A7r and those two lenses, I would be made.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

I was checking out Brian's review and most photos look like they were heavily treated. They do look amazing nonetheless

Field Test: Sony A7R l Brian Smith Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Image stabilization No

sigh, there goes the neighborhood...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lowep View Post
    Image stabilization No

sigh, there goes the neighborhood...
    Yep, suddenly 200 years of photography are rendered invalid by nature of not having been shot with image stabilization.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Over on dpreview there is a thread discussing the interesting Sony A7r field test by Brian Smith (Field Test: Sony A7R Review l Brian Smith Pictures) on which some of you have commented. In one of the posts there (Re: Sony A7R Field Test: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review) Mr Smith replies to a questioner who remarked, "The 18mm Zeiss ZM is a distagon design, so it doesn't stay that close to the sensor. Results from the 24mm Leica should be more telling for corner performance with wide angles." Mr Smith's reply is as follows: "Actually just the opposite. 24 Leica is barely noticeable shift. 18 Zeiss is pretty easy to correct - just not as easy as the 18 Zeiss. Either way adjustments can be cr[e]ated as lens profiles or batch applied." (I guess that in the comment "just not as easy as the 18 Zeiss" he meant "24 Leica.")

This exchange seems to lead to two conclusions: (i) In the case of the Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 (this lens is referred to elsewhere in Mr Smith's test) one can indeed see a colour shift at the extreme edge edge, although it is "barely noticeable." (It might be conjectured that there would be less of a problem with the Elmar f/3.8 Asph.) (ii) The 18mm ZM lens is more problematic, although not terribly so. (This sheds light on various comments elsewhere on the web, indicating that the 18mm ZM might, or might not, give trouble.)

A discussion in this general area, so far inconclusive, has opened at systemkamera-forum.de, and can be found in translation at: Google Translate

Here is the German original: Messsucher Objektive (Leica M, M39, Contax G & Co.) an Sony KB E-Mount - Systemkamera Forum

It's worth mentioning too Luminous Landscape's very positive, but rather unspecific, remarks concerning Leica lenses on the 7r: "Overall, I can not recommend the A7R highly enough for anyone looking to find a new body for their Leica lenses..." (Sony A7R Hands-On) Mr Reichmann makes these comments after at least a degree testing, and adds that "I think it fair to say that most retrofocus design Leica M lenses will work on the A7R." (Technical minds might add that no Leica M lenses, except the WATE and MATE, are strictly retrofocus, but we know what he means.)

However, we still have a way to go before we understand these issues! Nettar

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nettar, you summarise the various posts here before. Nothing is certain.

I am, however, positive that this E mount will flourish only when fully compatible and compact lenses are developed for it. Leica etc lenses are great for the initial runs and some enthusiastic posts but would be of limited practical significance.

With the ever changing LA-EA4 adapters...one ought not forget the souls who have bought in to the A mount system as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, I'm sure you are correct if what is required is perfection. However, for some of us, developing a new kit of "fully compatible and compact lenses" would require resources that we can't readily find. Nettar

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nettar, With the advent of G1, I have gone through that process and again with the NEX. For example, i was the first one to fashion a 43 to Leica M use (personal use, of course) and I have posted it on GetDpi. It was exciting and consuming but left me with less time for photography.

I was not making a prescriptive remark about your post rather a descriptive one based on several years of experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    Yep, suddenly 200 years of photography are rendered invalid by nature of not having been shot with image stabilization.
    nope not 200 years of photography just a camera body that does not do what I had hoped it would do. fortunately there are other cameras that do and not everybody is the same.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, here (Netherlands) the Sony site now says this:

Bestel nu en ontvang kosteloos het 3 Jaar Reparatie Service Plan (ILCE-7 / ILCE-7R)

If one buys it now then there is a free 3 year repair service!

I am not sure how this is implemented (if at all) elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick heads-up, but there now seem to be two sets of Raw files floating around the web via SonyAlphaRumors.com, one shot with the Sony 28-70 on the A7r and the other set with the Zeiss primes on the A7r too. Don't bother wasting the ~600mb of bandwidth it takes to download them.

Even if we set aside the technical qualities of Sony's software (C1 and Lightroom don't support it yet), I have no idea why anyone let these people hold the camera let alone post the files online. Blurry, out of focus, and they're just plain bad photos; you couldn't shoot photos this bad on purpose.

What's especially baffling is you look at the shot settings and things look pretty legit - ISO100, 1/160 shutter, f/5.6 - looks like it was taken with an 8 year old point-and-shoot by a cocaine addict and scaled up to 36mp.

What I suggest is to ignore any and all looks at it's performance until two things happen:
    1. Trusted sources get their hands on it.
    2. Lightroom/CO7 support

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Totally agree. Horrible pics.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Thank you Vivek
    What do you think?

I was waiting for some distant grey skies.

It really doesn't look very good does it - will the A7r be better? because if not it's definitely a deal killer for me.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,

I only see light pinkish skies.

As he says, let us see what the A7r brings.

We do need to consider that these are jpgs, although some results are crystal clear (28mm Summicron Asph, for example, a stellar lens but gives mushy corners on the A7).
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono,

I only see light pinkish skies.

As he says, let us see what the A7r brings.

We do need to consider that these are jpgs, although some results are crystal clear (28mm Summicron Asph, for example, a stellar lens but gives mushy corners on the A7).
    Vignetting and color cast are problems which can be easily dealt with, possibly also from inside the camera, but the very poor corner definition I have seen in the Summicron 28 samples is hopeless, at least for the A7.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, K-H.

Exactly what I saw on GG. But it remains to be seen how it would do in actual captures.

(I am fairly confident that the 50/1.8 OSS will be fine. )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, K-H.

Exactly what I saw on GG. But it remains to be seen how it would do in actual captures.

(I am fairly confident that the 50/1.8 OSS will be fine. )

Thanks Vivek. That would be terrific!
    So far I have been holding off ordering one of the new FF lenses.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

what's the point of releasing this kick *** camera but no fast lenses? F1.8? come on.
    Yes I know it can use fast Leica and canon lenses but that's beside the point. In my mind at least a 35mm F2 and a 50mm 1.4. can't be that hard to manufacture

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    what's the point of releasing this kick *** camera but no fast lenses? F1.8? come on.
    Yes I know it can use fast Leica and canon lenses but that's beside the point. In my mind at least a 35mm F2 and a 50mm 1.4. can't be that hard to manufacture
    I'm sure Zeiss will offer some faster lenses but a 55/1.8 isn't slow and neither is a 35/2.8 for that matter.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All opinions count, but it seems f1.4 or f1.2 should be offered like now. They need a flagship lens for a seemingly flagship camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A quick look at many high res lenses that I have which would work on the A7R tells me they are all slow lenses. Slow, compact and high res. vs fast, big and fuzzy. Pick your poison. Age old debate.

FWIW, i think the A900 was the flagship Sony had. Whatever offered now is " mid level".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Finally, the A7/7R manual (96pages) is online: http://download.sony-asia.com/consum...4478729112.pdf

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vivek

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    Once again an overly optimistic timeline is floated and hopes are dashed again. Finally, the real release date sneaks up on the rumor sites and they scramble to make believe that their earlier predictions were spot on. Also as the real specs surface a lot of back-pedalling is performed to also make it seem like the real info was known all along. Bottom line, it takes about two years after the first rumors and the actual product is always different from the earlier predictions and has some oddball flaw or ommission.
    Regards,
    John
    Sounds just like someone who calls himself President. "You can keep your insurance company if you like it, period."

This week, "Is what is said is you can keep your insurance company of you like it unless after passage of the law it is changed" So that makes people happy who are losing their current insurance coverage by the many thousands a week?

What bull ****!