The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FF NEX and F E lenses

Rawfa

Beat me to it, Vivek :) Just saw the pictures.
That is one massive zoom. I do like the 35mm....though I'm guessing it will cost half the price of the camera.

V

Vivek

No worries, Rafa! :)

I do not want any zooms, definitely not the Sony one. I will happily get the A7r+ the FE 35/2.8 to start with (and perhaps that will be the end for FE lenses, AFAIC). :)

iiiNelson

Yeah I was curious about how large the zooms would be - particularly the Zeiss ones. If it plays well with wide angle M-mount lenses then I'm gonna preorder an A7r and pass on the OMD EM-1 probably... If not then maybe the OM-D will be in my future.

Rawfa

No worries, Rafa! :)

I do not want any zooms, definitely not the Sony one. I will happily get the A7r+ the FE 35/2.8 to start with (and perhaps that will be the end for FE lenses, AFAIC). :)
My thoughts exactly :) 35mm is my favorite fov

V

Vivek

Yeah I was curious about how large the zooms would be - particularly the Zeiss ones. If it plays well with wide angle M-mount lenses then I'm gonna preorder an A7r and pass on the OMD EM-1 probably... If not then maybe the OM-D will be in my future.
OMD?! OMG!

I feel sorry for Oly. :cry:

Michiel Schierbeek

The Carl Zeiss 35 and the 7r also for me for a start. (I thought they started to call them Zeiss only :confused: ....)

Looks good to me for quiet a revolutionary camera, functional and no design gimmics.

iiiNelson

OMD?! OMG!

I feel sorry for Oly. :cry:
I don't. The OMD is a good camera and very capable. They are playing in two different markets though in a sense and don't see them as competition per se. The person who buys the A7/r will more than likely only cross shop if AF speed/ accuracy is needed, size/ weight are factors, or if the crop sensor is good enough for the job at hand are a factor.

The OMD is more of the ultimate pro style cropped sensor mirrorless camera.

The A7/r I see more of a new direction possibly if the rumors are to be believed. It may be the camera that a lot of hobbyists, advanced amateurs, and pros have asked for over the years - a "35mm FF digital back" that plays nice with all lenses but also has a stable of high quality native lenses (potentially.)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

EM1 /OMD is presumably a "pro" camera with "pro" line of lenses. The A7/r is for rank amateurs. Yes, two different markets. :)

iiiNelson

EM1 /OMD is presumably a "pro" camera with "pro" line of lenses. The A7/r is for rank amateurs. Yes, two different markets. :)
Well duh... Everyone knows a lenses isn't "PRO" unless it's written on the lens, has a white housing, has a silver housing, or has a long string of acronyms after the focal range/ aperture identifiers.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

BTW, I have been checking out how the E mount lenses would do on a FF.

Most would need minor mods.

The biggest bargain at the moment appears to be the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8. :)

I have to locate the 50/1.8 but am confident that also would be OK.

iiiNelson

I have the 2 E-mount lenses that came with my NEX-5 and have literally put them in the box. They aren't bad for what they are but I don't fancy them much compared to my Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses. I use M-Mount exclusively so far with NEX cameras. I don't see myself buying any of the primes rumored except maybe the ZFE 55/1.8 if it's a performer - and that's still a BIG maybe. I'm somewhat interested in the 24-70/4 and 70-200/4 provided the size isn't too ridiculous for a travel set.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Vivek. How did you check that out?
BTW, I think I have those two lenses. :)

roanjoh

Exciting times indeed! I sold my M8 a while back and held on to my lenses - 21 (Biogon), 35 Lux asph and 50 cron in the hopes of snagging a cheap (<$2000) M9 to use them on - the prices never did go down that low since the intro of the M240..........so I'm glad I waited. This Sony will be my next purchase! Now the larger question (A7 or A7r). Hmmm........hmmm...

roanjoh

Vivek - thanks for the comparison. That camera looks minute next to the M6 - which is a small(ish) camera to begin with! Can't wait! People will be clamoring for this camera when its released! I hope it becomes available before the big holidays!

iiiNelson

I wonder how this will affect Leica's pricing in the future........ for their M bodies.
I would bet money that it won't effect pricing at all.

It's pretty much the Leica way. Not produce enough product to satisfy demand, put out a press release in November/December about the impending price increase in January, people buy up what they can to auction off (read: leech) to the desperate and then "magically" have every lens back in stock in March.

barjohn

Given all of the quality issues with the M, I think this camera will seriously impact M sales if it works well with Leica lenses. The camera freezes, poor quality EVF, numerous sensor problems, and host of usability issues that Leica still has not addressed combined with a nearly 200% price difference (A7r at about 1/3 price) with higher resolution and clearly better sensor will make the M a far less attractive package. If the RX-1 is any indication, the Sony will be a rock solid performer with WiFi, built on grip, built in far superior EVF, etc. The only thing missing will be the range finder. That is a must have for only the smallest segment of the Leica market and the segment that is probably the oldest and fastest diminishing.