The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FF NEX and F E lenses

jonoslack

Correct!

Take a look at your post #114. One can not have everything. :)
Touche! But I still think they'll be fine - the adapter should add enough distance. Not like a 28 elmarit with it's rear element right up by the sensor (there's telecentric and telecentric)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One area where these cameras will probably be a revolution is for people who are using (mostly Canon) DSLRs for manual focus legacy lenses, particularly since Canikon are moving away from "proper" focusing screens. The question is whether those old lenses are good enough to make an impression on a 24 or 36M sensor, but one can always reduce the size of the images in post processing (as a Photoshop batch job even) to a size that they can handle. I have a nice little collection of OM lenses that would be very happy to see daylight a bit more often. Then there are a couple of C/Y jewels and the Nikkors :)

ohnri

The RX1 is the best 35mm equivalent FOV camera and lens combination I have ever used.

The new FF cameras from Sony look to be the bomb.

I think Sony has discovered the secret sauce.

The one trick that Nikon and Canon seem to have left, for my work, is speedy focus on moving subjects.

I expect the new Sony cameras to all but eliminate every other advantage that my FF Nikon gear has once enough lenses are available.

My question is, how good is the new $1,100 Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 going to be?

Will it be comparable to the $4,000 55mm f/1.4 with both set to f/2?

Considering I can get the 36 MP camera and the $1,100 lens for less than the pricier lens by itself, it is probably a silly question.

Also, I wonder how good the video is. It has to be awfully good to keep up with Panasonic. I expect them to come out with a micro 4/3's camera with 4K before too long.

-Bill

camping

Hi Jono
The wide angle R's I am wondering about are the 15mm fish eye, 16mm fish eye, 19mm, 21mm, 21-35mm. I have accumulated a lot of glass over the last 55 years. Have used most of the film M's and R's.

This is why i am waiting.

Paul

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Dear Canon and Nikon,
It may be time for you to start paying attention. Within a few months, I will be using m4/3 for sports, travel and video, the camera below for most other things and your cameras for more or less nothing (except the F6, which is a lovely camera).

I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

Yours sincerely, etc.

biglouis

As a dedicated RX1 owner I will almost certainly be going with the A7.

Probably not the A7r as I am still suspicious about the image quality unless the E mount lenses really are excellent quality that can match the resolution of the sensor.

The 24mpx sensor in the RX1 - which is the same as the A99 - which it is claimed will be the same in the A7 - which I am highly suspicious is equal to or the same as the new 'M' is an absolute winner. Colouration, detail etc are excellent. I've never been happier with the output of a digital camera (although either of my two Sigma DP Merrils do contain sharper detail at 100%).

I'd rather spend a little less on a body like the A7 and more on glass.

Well done Sony. I have always felt (and sometimes stated) that Sony are a bit like the Microsoft of the camera world. Always a little late but they will end up owning the camera market.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Saw the video. Looks cool. Unless there is something terminally wrong with the image quality of the A7R, any interest I had for the Nikon D800 has suddenly been reduced to around zero. The camera that was a small revolution last year is suddenly a dinosaur (as is Sony's own A99). Such are the times we live in :shocked:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Dear Canon and Nikon,
It may be time for you to start paying attention. Within a few months, I will be using m4/3 for sports, travel and video, the camera below for most other things and your cameras for more or less nothing (except the F6, which is a lovely camera).

I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

Yours sincerely, etc.

Jorgen,

how true!

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Saw the video. Looks cool. Unless there is something terminally wrong with the image quality of the A7R, any interest I had for the Nikon D800 has suddenly been reduced to around zero. The camera that was a small revolution last year is suddenly a dinosaur (as is Sony's own A99). Such are the times we live in :shocked:
Exactly, this is what happens today and the cycles are getting shorter and shorter!

Being a almost 100% Olympus m43 shooter (with my soon arriving EM1) I am also looking forward to some enhancements for m43 in near future, given the advances we see from Sony in A7 and A7r.

Exciting times ....

PS: not sure how long to keep my D800E and all Nikon gear :confused:

iiiNelson

SOLD. I'm probably going to use my M-mount lenses to start with being that it's coming out around Christmas.

Paratom

Hi Vivek,
I am afraid that in this case I wont. I have had an A33, Nex5n and Nex7 and a RX1 and allways came back home to my Leica gear-which suits me better. Do you remember Leica M alltime best camera? (Wait- the S is even better)
I am just someone who likes OVF and simple user interface.
For a small camera EVF is great and better than a tiny pinhole OVF, but from a certain camera size on....I prefer realtime over TV.

V

Vivek

Hi Tom,

Thanks.

If I had a Leica S (or even the old 2 ;) ), I would not be horsing around with any digital camera, small or big. Pure and simple. :)

Oh, as for as the all time best Leica goes, it is the Leica MM for me. It is likely to remain the best camera that I ever owned/used, not to be replaced by the loud A7r (however tiny it may be). It is real shame that gem is atrociously priced and out of reach of many photogs.

I would not use real time vs TV. All cams will be "TVs" sooner than you realise and I suspect that you are not a Medusa (in terms of age). :LOL:

Probably not the A7r as I am still suspicious about the image quality unless the E mount lenses really are excellent quality that can match the resolution of the sensor.
Well, considering their 55mm f/1.8 is going to be around $1,100, I don't think they are skimping on quality, but that said, you can adapt any lens from any system that you want. Canon, Nikon, Leica, Sony A, etc. This camera far exceeds the D800E in this regard, because now you actually can use lenses that take full advantage of the resolution available.

Zeiss should make their 55/1.4 Otus in FE mount.

V

Vivek

It isn't clear which one has the special microlenses!

I have pre-ordered the A7R (2099Euros free ship, expected 16-19 November).

Here some shots: SONY A7R???????????????_??????-???_????

Apparently, the 21/2.8 ZM Biogon poses (color shift) problems but the 50/2 ZM Planar appears OK

V

Vivek

Absolutely! It is shocking! :shocked:

Got to do the right thing to encourage Sony by pushing the buy button. :)

jonoslack

Apparently, the 21/2.8 ZM Biogon poses (color shift) problems but the 50/2 ZM Planar appears OK
HI There Vivek - where did you read that? (I'm interested). As I've bored everyone with, I'm sceptical about use with M lenses wider than 35mm, but I'd loved to be convinced otherwise.

jonoslack

Hi Jono, Can Silas read Chinese? :) It is in the link (SONY A7R???????????????_??????-???_????).
Hi Vivek
Simeon can . . . but he's in China! Silas I think not. . . . and as for Saul :confused:
BTW, you are not alone with that curiosity and what I posted earlier about Sony not being able to handle color shift issues was factual and in resignation. My expectations are realistically very, very low.
Well, I know I've seemed grumpy about this camera, and I do have fairly severe reservations. On the other hand I'm absolutely certain that it (or cameras like it) do represent the future of stills photography. It's just a pity that nobody seems to be able to develop small FF AF lenses except Pentax (and they're screwdriver).

I've placed an order for an A7r - WEX are great, and I can cancel it at any time up until delivery, and hopefully things will be clearer by then - I think that Sandy ought to start charging for corner fix! :facesmack::).

all the best